Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

Boo, I've always liked 1024 maps and approve of this. No complaining plz, go take your anger somewhere else.

Will anyone actually review my map? 4 replies go and half of them are just jokes or something I don't really get.

First get rid of those insta-kill teleporters. Nobody likes those.

Other than that I guess its okay - better than all your other levels that I've played. Still could use a lot of work, but at least it looks like something decent could be made out of it with enough effort.

Processingcontrol said:

First get rid of those insta-kill teleporters. Nobody likes those.

Other than that I guess its okay - better than all your other levels that I've played. Still could use a lot of work, but at least it looks like something decent could be made out of it with enough work.

Got rid of the killing teles and I have no idea what can be better, should I detail it more or something?

Inkie said:

I have a 1024 map sitting on my HD that's unreleased, would it be appropriate to convert it over to plutonia for this?

Sure! Just replace a few textures with Plutonia bricks or something and change the overall color scheme to earth tones and I'd think you'd do alright :)

joe-ilya said:

Here's MAP01
Slot : MAP01
MAP name : Lazarev Island
MIDI : Green Day - When I come around
Link : https://www.mediafire.com/?j3gzjj9c0g7796j
Description : An Island named after my last name, countains stuff that I like : A cave with lava and being a proud colorful wonderland infested by hell.

Not bad! I think that your map may be lacking in are some distinguishing Plutonia Experiment textures. Maybe if you replace all that ZIMMER texture with one of Plutonia's many natural rock textures, it might look a little more believable. Excepting the Plutonia teleport pad as the the starting spot, (Your exit should be a Plutonia teleport pad too btw) I couldn't find anything that sets it apart from any of your other maps in its current state.

As ProcessingControl said, getting rid of the instant death water is a good move, as I mistakenly got my feet wet many times on my first try and had to pay hansomely for it. I don't know what you had in mind to put in place of it, but I was thinking you could maybe create a wall of short red firesticks around the outside, blocking the player from going out too deep in the water, like in Doom 2 MAP19: Citadel.

On a gameplay note, It's a little too hectic. You could benefit a lot by working on the presentation of all the monsters. Right from the start of the level you've got all kinds of monsters shooting at you before you even do anything. Plutonia really shines because it specializes more in traps. Your map has traps in it, but they are comparatively weak against the utter chaos that happens when the player looks around every corner. Maybe you could tone down the difficulty by getting rid of the zombiemen and shotgunners, and hiding the caco and fatso in the beginning until the player makes some progress. Filling your featureless hallways with monsters isn't really working for this type of map. Try some more pressing traps too, like maybe using a hell knight instead of spectres for that trap in that archvile corner hall, and maybe teleport ambush the player with revenants when he gets to yellow key. A nice weapon might help with making it more fun too.

In short, I'd say the major things are:
1. Use a dominant Plutonia rock texture for your mountains instead of ZIMMER. Maybe look to The Omen or Well of Souls as a theme to model your map after.
2. Make the starting room safer, and cut down on the overall quantity of monsters in rooms and hallways. This will help with the pacing in your map.
3. For the parts that feature traps, make them harder.
4. A decent weapon like a Super Shotgun or Plasma Gun to help balance the traps.

I'll just leave this here.

Name: Artifice
Format: Limit removing(painfully close to vanilla)
Music: "Dark Halls" from E1M3 of Doom

This one was an old 1024 map I had lying around. It was kind of difficult to Plutonify it considering how Plutonia doesn't have marble textures, but hopefully it fits the criteria. Also, instead of having the player bang smack on top of the teleport, I kind of had it off to the side out where the player can't reach it: I hope that doesn't break the rules too much.

Obsidian said:

To be honest, the map doesn't give me much of a Plutonia feel. There is some attempt to use "Plutonia monsters" but that's pretty much it. It's in the marble textures and the dark atmosphere but also in the gameplay and some item choices:
- forcing chainsaw seems very unusual for a Plutonia map and the lack of shotgun or SSG is striking. There is an opportunity to get either SSG or shotgun very near the start of the level in literally every single map except map27 - just checked that, my memory is not that good :)
- there isn't a single light amplification visor in the whole Plutonia - Yup, you read that right.

Archipelago

yeah i noticed the HOM too, and there are a few instances of some sky thing through the "windows".

a lot of shotgun action mostly. i like the "backup" chaingunners that came in after i grabbed the SSG. the middle area was quite tough too but not bad, especially with the armor there. a few nasty traps like the revenant reveal with the yellow switch, but i did fine with it overall.

Rook's map (MAP07)

ah yes, everyone else's least favorite map cliche, the Dead Simple arena. this one has difficulty settings, but i still died numerous times doing things, like dodging mancubi, using rockets, trying to get revenants to infight, and acquiring stuff in the nukage. i don't like them this uncomfortable. the simple design is fine as far as i'm concerned though.

Phml's map

a Go2It style map it seems. the initial wave was menacing but they infighted and i got through. the archies after that gave me a headache though. outside area where the key is open means a bumrush of enemies would happen, so i rocketed the mancubi to prevent distractions. the monsters did come in all directions though, and the demons are pretty annoying, even if i try to prevent them from teleporting. at least a plasma gun and some soulspheres showed up eventually. two cybers after lowering the red key is too much for me to endure. on the lowest difficulties, they don't appear though. easy skill was way too easy and even had an extra soulsphere, but UV was too much for me to handle, i only completed this in HMP at the most. this would probably be in the MAP32 slot regardless of what happens.

Thanks for playing my map Getsu. The space constraints make Dead Simple-style maps significantly more difficult than they might otherwise be. I'd be interested to know what other people think about the difficulty.

joe-ilya

Much better!

The usage of more Plutonia textures is really giving your map more character. I think it could still use a bit more texture variety but I'll get into that later. I'm glad you hid some of the monsters from the start area in traps. I think the last thing you should do to the starting area is just delete the zombiemen, and just leave the imps and the chaingun guys. The zombiemen are not very fun to kill and all they just chip your health away. Everything else is a good start for the map.

The Rocket Launcher secret is very rewarding, that was a great choice! Also changing the shotgun guys standing in the water to revenants was a great idea! I love it! I think if you gave them a raised WOODMET pedestal to stand on instead of the blood splats in the water it would look much nicer. Great job! Also the Hell Knight and spectre trap when you press the switch turned out real nice too :)

I do want to say though, that the Archvile trap near the start is a little too brutal, particularly because you're aiming for a MAP01 slot, and also because it's arguably the hardest part in the map. (You want your map to get harder as you move on, not easier) I'm not really sure what the best way to kill it is, since there isn't a lot of cover, and I don't have a good weapon or much ammo yet. Do you know how to make Teleport Ambushes? (Like the Rocket Launcher room in E1M9) If so, you should probably have the archvile teleport to its current location after the player grabs the chaingun at the end of the cave. That might give the archvile a chance to resurrect all the shotgun guys. In fact, change the chaingun into a berserk pack so the player has to berserk punch the archvile to death! That sounds like a lot more fun!

Your map overall could use a little more texture variety. I think A-MOULD or A-DROCK1 might look good on the outside mountains, and you can leave the same A-CAMO4 on the insides of the caves. Plutonia has a lot of natural rock textures that you could use to seperate the different sections of your map. I'd consider the Plasma Gun cave a a new section, the Hell Knight trap with the switch a new section, and broken plutonia teleporter area a new section. You could use different rock textures in these areas to give them a clearer seperation from the rest of the map area.

By the way, the Arachnatron and Mancubus trap that happens when you get the Plasma Gun is a little sloppy I think. You could probably put them closer to those wooden bars so that the player can see both of them right away when they appear. It might be better to get rid of the Spectres in there too, and maybe have a light shining on the plasma gun or put it on a pedestal so when the player sees it with no monsters protecting it, he'll really want it! And a more cautious player will know a trap is going to happen. Also I'd probably go with two mancubus, or two arachnatrons, instead of one of each (to prevent them from infighting)

Here's a couple other suggestions, you can take them or leave them, but I personally think they could make your map even cooler.

- Do you know how to make invisible floors? Because an invisible bridge for the teleport to the Rocket Launcher secret (like the invisible bridge in Aztec) would definitely be awesome!

- Maybe you could add a few vertices to your mountains to make them looks a little more natural. Splitting up some of the long straight lines into zig-zags could really make it look cool. From this to this (If you hold the Shift key while dragging a vertex, you can automatically detach from the grid, which will make these zigzags easier to draw)

You've been doing an awesome job and you've been really great about taking my advice so far, I hope my suggestions aren't too demanding, I don't want to butcher your map too much. I really think people will like your map a lot if you're okay with all these changes though. Let me know if you have any questions, you can send me a Private Message or post here, whichever you like. Keep it up!

Rook

The map looks great, so no qualms there! It's definitely tough though. Would you consider maybe three mancubi in the center instead of four? I'd rather let someone else chime in on the difficulty of it first before setting that suggestion in stone though.

I think what your map could use is some extended gameplay. I died a lot, but after nailing with no pressure for time I completed it in less than a minute and a half. Maybe it's lacking in the Arachnatron bit of the fight. The single Revenant in the exit is a bit anti-climactic too, I think. Would you consider turning it into an invasion-style map like MAP02: Sector of Death from Survive in Hell? That way you can start the map off with a light Mancubus assault challenge, and then ramp up the difficulty with flooding monsters teleporting in giving the player a bit of an endurance challenge to give the map a little more meat on its bones. You could then wrap it up by insta-teleporting the final mancubi to the locations where they currently reside at a time of your choosing. (Floor lower to lowest floor moves at roughly 35 units a second, if that helps)

I dont know, I think it might make your map feel less like the obvious Dead Simple filler or something if it's given a unique gameplay style. Its great otherwise. I don't think there's much else to say about it

Obsidian

A great map on its own merit, (awesome usage of space) but Plutonia-wise, its a tough nut to crack. I wanna say things like turning the chainsaw into a Super Shotgun, stimpacks to medikits and zombiemen into Revenants, but a lot of the things in this map feel like a carefully chosen balance, and it might need a complete gameplay makeover to fit snugly into the Plutonia universe. I had trouble thinking of a good texture theme to work it into too, but I think you might be able to successfully turn a lot of marble into tan rocks/bricks/cobblestones and use the metal variants of the SATYR/LION/GARG faces and/or windows and streetlights as decor for a sorta dark indoor Ghost Town look. Alternatively you could probably try gray bricks ala NME

If you're up to the challenge, go for it, but in it's current state, a lot of the great aspects of it are hard to salvage, and you might need to heavily dilute some things to make it work.

Phml

Cyberdemon on the tiny red key pillar made me lol, but thats okay. Otherwise I don't have any problems with it. Holds up pretty well both with the looks and the gameplay of the middle/later maps of Plutonia I think, except Plutonia tends to make the player run through a chaotic mess sometimes, unlike your traps that are artfully and carefully done. But of course, confined space makes that pretty tough to do. I'm ready to OK it it's current state unless anyone has any objections. (I'll wait a few days for someone to speak up just in case)

Thank you very much Keyboard_Doomer and Getsu Fune for your help in playtesting, your feedback is invaluable!

Anyway, I'm hoping someones map will make an homage to some of the really unique challenges of Plutonia, like invisible walkways, crushing ceilings, precision platform running, and those infinitely resurrecting chaingun guys from MAP12 :)

Well, it's been years since PRCP, so it's about time I made another Plutonia map. I'll be back late this evening with something, I'm sure :)

I had that aching to make a 1024 map for a while, so count me in! I'll submit my map sometime next week.

Here's my map:

Name: Constant Motion
Format: Boom
Slot: MAP12
MIDI: "Constant Motion" by Dream Theater, sequenced by xent121

Haven't done a 1024 map in a while, and realized while I was making this that it's actually a lot more confining than I remember, especially considering the map I was trying to encapsulate was Speed. I think I did an okay job in the end, though.

Be warned: there's only two dozen monsters, but this is *hard* - which you may be allowed to assume when you see the opening shot. Just keep the map's name in mind. :P

Jimmy said:

there's only two dozen monsters, but this is *hard*

Isn't 37 over 3 dozen? :P

Anyway, you sure didn't lie about the *hard* part. Only died like 20 times before finishing the level :P
Certainly would be helpful if I found the secret before actually killing all monsters...

Very nice level and very nice homage to Speed, too. Didn't notice anything that would need any tweaking, maybe only the blue armor feels a bit pointless the way it's placed. But I guess this wad might be meant for continuous playthrough as well... ?

EDIT: Maybe put a lower tier monster instead of a Cyberdemon on skills 1 and 2 instead of leaving it completely empty? Speed has Archvile there on those skills. And I guess you could kill the Cyberdemon as soon as possible so the blue armor might not be that pointless after all.

Nice work Jimmy! Took me a couple tries, beat it after I made it to the rocket launcher. Completed in just over 4 minutes. I agree with Keyboard Doomer that the armor seems a little helpless as it's acquired after the majority of the monsters are killed. Maybe a Berserk pack (for the health) or a Partial Invisibilty plus extra chaingun guys or something.

I thought I could get stuck between the 4 SUPPORT3 bars and the shoot switch for a moment but I just wasn't aiming directly at the bars. I spent a few minutes but couldn't figure out how to get that soulsphere secret at all, but I had plenty health towards the end anyway. Great map!

Uhh, killed all monsters except the cyber on the first try, then there wasn't enough ammo to kill him = fail. demo

Memfis said:

killed all monsters except the cyber on the first try, then there wasn't enough ammo to kill him = fail.

Now that I think about it the map is rather ammo tight for a UV-max. I was lucky to get the revenants to infight cyber and grabbed some chainguns from the chaingunners (which is also kinda luck based if they will be close enough) and still finished completely dry. There is also the danger that the archvile will resurrect imps if they die close to him. I guess a couple more shells wouldn't be bad. Or leave it like this for extra challenge :D

I don't like the "music from doom 1/2 and plutonia related wads" rule, but I'll try to make a map for this, maybe more.

Memfis said:

Uhh, killed all monsters except the cyber on the first try, then there wasn't enough ammo to kill him = fail. demo

I got an arachnatron to hurt the cybie, which in turn got him to kill all of them and finished with plenty ammo.

Ok, quick checks on everybody's maps before I start mine:

40oz:
Seems alright, although using some space outside of the map area may have made the enemy placement feel less cramped. I think, if this map is anything to go by, even using Plutonia textures and game play tropes won't make them feel very accurate to the source, simply because Plutonia often provided large spaces.

Archi:
This one plays a lot more like a Plutonia map, IMO, with fewer monsters, but used more effectively than 40oz' hordes of Imps were. I think you may have cheated on the size restriction though, as you can step into where those two chaingunners teleport into after the cages lower :P

Jimmy:
Very tough, this one, but also very, very like Plutonia. It probably helps that you deliberately paid homage to one of the original maps - I'm not sure if there's enough ammo or not, but if you know roughly what you're doing that isn't a problem, although the Cyberdemon is incredibly difficult to work around if you leave him alive like I did. Good stuff!

joe-ilya:
It's not as bad the other map I've played by you, but it completely misses the look and feel of Plutonia, even if it is an alright use of the space on it's own merits. The animated brain texture seems terribly misused in the cave where you eventually exit the map, too.

Obsidian:
An alright map (where, for a change, your trademark ammo-drought feels intentional!) but possibly even more not-Plutonia than joe's effort. The marble needs to be swapped for brick, the overall light level needs to go up and then the starting corridor and trick with the switch behind the blue key skull needs replacing with a straightforward door... That might get you nearer the mark, I think.

Phml:
Not so much Plutonia as it is just a straight-up slaughter map, but the first corridor (the shotgunners on the lowering wall also felt right, but the final arena wasn't how I'd expect a Plutonia map to play) and the overall looks felt right to me. The Cyberdemon stuck on the lowering pole seemed silly, but the pair of them slaughtered the arena for me and then killed me a few times to boot. Not bad for a 1024 Go 2 It, I guess!

Rook:
Not too bad for a MAP07 - the outer Revenants are all easy to get killed by the underhand means of letting them start, and lose, a fight with the Mancubus directly in front of them... Doesn't make the ensuing battle much easier though. Getting in and out of cover seems very important, as dodging out in the open didn't go well for me to begin with.

Right, I'm done slating all your stuff :P Time to put my mapping where my mouth is and see if I can hit the Plutonia mark in a 1024 space.

EDIT: Worth pointing out that the iconic teleport start/finish set-up uses a square 20-units above/below the surrounding sector and then a diamond 10-units above/below that.

EDIT2: I realise I may have missed some updates as I got the maps from the OP at the time I posted this to begin with, so if the feedback is out of date, ignore it!

I've just seen this in the OP:

Playtesters! - links to profile
scifista42 (Awaiting Confirmation)

No, thanks. Ask someone else to properly judge balance, I'm unreliable for an official playtester (I've played Archi's map simply out of curiosity). I'd like to provide a map, but can't guarantee even that.

Name: Tenochtitlan
Format: Vanilla
Slot: MAP01
Music: E1M6

Ended up not renovating an old map and made this from scratch. Most likely needs a ton of work in the aesthetic department, but the layout and stuff is there.

updated my map to fix the HOMs. I added a little thing in the beginning area because the unused space was bothering me for some reason

v2

Will update OP later, thanks everyone who's been participating so far!

And here I am!

Here's a direct link to the wad file, here's a screenshot:

And here's what you need to know:
All three skills implemented
Music is D_E3M1 from Doom
I'm not convinced UV doesn't still need some work
The map is called "Bloodlust"... Because I'm uncreative :P If I think of something better, I'll let you know.