Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

Breezeep said:

30 maps already? shit, I hope there's enough room for a map11.

in the event that there are over 30 maps between now and August 20th (current deadline, as of today) I could divide the maps evenly into two separate wads (suppose we have 40 maps, there would be two wad files with 20 maps each)

NoisyVelvet said:

regarding Jungle Juice

that sounds good. Sorry to be so discriminating but I think a map like your could certainly stand on its own merit outside this compilation. If your still interested, you could certainly try to make another map inspired from an existing Plutonia experiment map for reference! I'd love to see more of your

walter confalonieri said:

WIP for map02 (maybe)

looks awesome!! :)

Ed said:

I agree, it does come in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. I'll work in some more action / file through some of the default tracks and see if there's anything that fits.

awesome, I thought this project could use a few more super-hard maps and I think you'd be great for that particular reason. Looking forward to it!! :)

Wow Surreily, you've done an awesome job!

I love how you've kept the core map geometry almost identical but it feels like you've expanded the map hugely in terms of both gameplay and size. The little aesthetic improvements to what was already there make a big difference too. I also really like the silhouette monsters, nukage sky and the way you've handled the teleporting enemies. Thanks so much for taking this on!

Thanks Rook! I'm not sure if the sky is staying (it's really up to 40oz to decide) but I'm really happy that you enjoyed it!

Yeah I'm kinda iffy about the sky (the perspective of the slimefall sky looks kinda weird) but the original gray clouds sky obviously would look kinda dumb with the silhouette monsters. A red sunset would look best as long as it doesn't contradict the map title too bad. I'd think the green would overpower the red anyway. I'll have to test it and see, but let me know if theres any disagreement with that though, I don't want to get too critical.

As this map uses MAP07 tags and functions, it must be in the MAP07 slot if it's being included. This means that if we use the default sky, it would have to be the white one.

Having said that, it should be possible to change the 'transfer sky texture' effects in the dummy sector (north of the large square) to any sky, and Plutonia has two beautiful red sky textures. I'm happy to change it to whatever - as long as the silhouette effect on the monsters still looks awesome!

Everyone

New map submission deadline is August 20th!

if you are currently working on a map, get it done, uploaded and posted on this thread before 12:01am midnight eastern US time. Maps posted afterwards will not be accepted. If you have a map that is pending changes you may submit it within a week after the deadline (12:01am August 27th) for final review.

Testers: please check the OP for maps awaiting reviews, rereviews, and rerereviews and go over them with the authors so they can make the necessary changes to update their map (with reasonable time to work on it)

If youve been patiently waiting and your map is still awaiting review and you intend to get your map up to speed and in the compilation, send me or any of the other playtesters a PM (profiles are linked in the OP) to expedite the process. Well do what we can to get your map from where it is to where it needs to be.

EDIT: OP updated as of this post!

40oz, just to let you know I've cancelled making another map for this, since I'm out of ideas and probably encountered mapper's block. sorry.

But at least I've actually submitted one map for this.

Breezeep said:

40oz, just to let you know I've cancelled making another map for this, since I'm out of ideas and probably encountered mapper's block. sorry.

But at least I've actually submitted one map for this.

No biggie! Problematic Conditions is a hit! If you'd like though, you may appoint someone who volunteers to finish your latest map for you, and it could be submitted as a collaboration just like Rook and Surreily did.

I had a few minutes before classes to do a few easy reviews:

Captain Toenail

Fatalist: As a matter of personal preference, I liked the midbars railings better than the camo netting in the start area. Would you be offended if it were changed back? Besides that, all other changes are great! OK!

Count651

The Den: Nothin left to say here, map looks great, plays great, deserves an OK from me!

40oz said:

No biggie! Problematic Conditions is a hit! If you'd like though, you may appoint someone who volunteers to finish your latest map for you, and it could be submitted as a collaboration just like Rook and Surreily did.

Thank you for the comment, Here's the Unfinished (and scrapped) map:
Click me

btw: the music in the wad is called "You are my NME" from PRCP.

Any more feedback for my map? I have a few days to work on it and it shouldn't be hard to make any necessary changes.

EDIT: Breezep I can try to do something with this, it's a solid base to work off of. If anything comes of it I'll let you know.

Still waitin on a review for the revised versions of my maps. Just a reminder in case you guys forgot, no rush.

Marcaek said:

Breezep I can try to do something with this, it's a solid base to work off of. If anything comes of it I'll let you know.

My map was aiming for something based off of the architecture of PRCP's map11 (will you be my NME?) so hope it works out for you.

It's a Trap!

i've always been a fan of walter's maps. this one is pretty good as far as it goes. however when i walk in the water past the staircase directly in front of my start, I end up falling into the monster pen and seeing HOM's. make it so that I don't end up falling out of the map by putting some linedef actions around the water there. combat is pretty good although hitscanner heavy. also, it looks pretty weird that I'm looking out on the horizon like this:

because it feels so short. maybe extend the horizon a bit more or make mountains perhaps? it just looks weird.

Marcaek's map

pretty good! design is decent, although to be honest the green stuff directly behind the starting point sticks out in a bad way, get rid of it altogether since the brown/red theme for the rest of the map is pretty good in design. combat-wise I ran for weapons, but it wasn't too harsh or anything. I also managed to find both secrets, and they were helpful enough for me to put up with this reasonably fair challenge. a few misalignments I've found, one is on the elevator with the yellow door and close to the plasma gun, and I found a few others in the pens that had barons in them. approaching the blue key without taking it revealed more monsters, I'm not sure if it's intended but it's sort of odd. other than those, a great map.

btw, thanks for PM'ing me, although I was actually in the middle of playing your map while you told me about it. also, I will get to the maps awaiting review tomorrow.

I have stopped working on "@ The Place of Death". Mappers blockage (ugh.) I can transform into a tester though...

EDIT: I want the track of my map to be Plunge Saw from the Plutonia MIDI Pack

Phew, I can't believe I finished this. It was a right tricky map to realize but I think I did well in the end.

Name: The Sickening Grove
Author: Obsidian
Music: "Plurry" by Bucket(from the Plutonia MIDI Pack)
Format: Boom(untested because I have no idea how to configure IWADs for PrBoom)
Preferred map placement: MAP11(my God, it's full of Archies!)

Also, what was in mind for MAP30? I was thinking that a few mappers could collaborate on the MAP30 slot so we could make something awesome. Just an idea.

The Sickening Grove

oh that's a disgusting way to leave the first room :P. anyways, Obsidian and his archviles again. this time there's some sort of pacifist thing going on, (SPEAK AND DIE) where obviously firing a shot is going to fill up with archies. there was a secret BFG however for one shot. about three archies in the opengame, with the one coming after hitting the switch to the north being the most difficult to avoid. he actually teleports to the corner where I need to hit the blue switch, and can wander around. by running to the blue switch and teleporting, I telefrag one archie to release another. getting the red key was tough, I had to take a hit sooner or later. but the red key kills everything waiting to teleport so i can kill the remaining archies without penalty. overall, this is certainly a cool style of play with just the right challenge to come across. visually this is also a very impressive feat, the bloody messes coming down plus the river turning pink were quite cool. nothing to say but an already OK.

Marcaek: Ok I did a proper playthrough of your map just now - very nice map.

Noticed some things however:

- 0 brightness area of start pad looks odd against the wall
- maybe add a lift back up the the start area ledge in case player misses pickups.
- you can trigger the blue key monsters early by walking up to the blue key pillar
- various texture pegging errors, should be easy to fix
- could use a little more health and ammo on hard. It's tight, but doable as it is
- the red brick texture at the plasma gun looks naff, imo

Obsidian: This is an interesting puzzle map, but very frustrating. I had to save-scum my way through this one. I could see a lot of players flipping the table over this map - would make a good map32?

Some things to point out:

- The way the level transforms is really cool. Maybe it would be cooler if the water turned to blood instead of flesh?
- It took me a second to realise you need to perform an archvile-jump at the start. This is pretty noob-unfriendly, but on the other hand I don't really want to see it go as it is a big feature of the map
- The new music is sinister and fits the map, but it's a bit 'plinky-plonky' and grates after a while

Walter: Great map. It feels like I'm invading some sort of sea-fort.

- There's a door that raises into the sky - looks bad.
- The invisible window with the shotgunner behind it isn't obvious. Maybe you could add a midtexture here
- Maybe change the silver teleport pad to a red one - silver ones tend to mark destinations whereas red ones are often used as 'in-and-out' teleports. Just an odd convention I have noticed in Doom mapping.
- The start and exit pads don't match the originals, but then again the smaller ones you have used here allow better movement through the map.

Obsidian's The Awesome Grove

It's possible to break the map by releasing and killing all the archviles before the red Commander Keen bars raise. You can hide in the exit area with your shotgun and pick off the viles after they are released

There's also a a cool trick where you can let the beginning vile throw you through the berserk pack, letting you enter the main area with 100 health instead of low health.

EDIT: i forgot to clarify how the map broke; basically the red bars don't raise and seem to make you get stuck in the map.

EDIT: it seems that if you obliterate a commander keen too quickly with a floor crusher, it doesn't trigger. with no viles to slow the crusher down, the keen death is bugged.

Marcaek, You did a really good job finishing my map! It just looks really nice! I would like to name this map "And all that Could have been" Am I allowed to make changes to this one? Otherwise, Great Job!

Oh sure it is your map ofc :V

I was going to call it "NME mine" but that may or may not appeal to you. Feel free to use it if it does.

Updated The Sickening Grove. The river now changes to blood, a crusher activates near the windows to block sound when the Archies die, the Archie cages are smaller so they die quicker and the Beserk is now right underneath the player: I'm pretty sure the player can't reach the teleporter without picking up the beserk first.

When this thread was launched, I got the inspiration to make a shameless ripoff tribute map to original Plutonia's "speed", one of that episode's best maps IMHO.

Didn't want to sign up for this, as I tend to not actually finish any maps, but this one I actually finished (I think).

If you're in need of extra maps, feel free to include this one. If it needs new music, maybe the e3m8 track may suit it.

The map is called "slowness"

http://speedy.sh/eFeBY/Uncle80-slowness.wad

Edit: Didn't notice that Jimmy also made a speed-ish map before my own was almost done. Now I'm going to check out Jimmys map for comparison :)