Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

joe-ilya said:

I'm designing ENDOOM.

Cool! I've never actually learned how to make one of these before. Would you consider updating it to include the names of all the mappers whose maps are in it, and a "Special Thanks" section for everyone who tried to make a map but didn't get in?

Breezeep said:

Let's hope this project won't die.

I know! It's been over three days since I posted! But, I can assure I've been keeping a close eye on it the entire time. I just don't have any relevant information to disclose at this time as I've not yet tested the most recent versions of peoples' maps. I have a final exam tomorrow so it's very important to me that I don't bomb it. In between breaks from studying I'll have a look at a few of them.

Thank you everyone for your participation and patience!

I've got nothing against the change of sky or the choice of music for Green Destiny.

Fellowzdoomer said:

I've lost all motivation to finish my map. :-(

Want me to finish it for you? If so, I have plenty of spare time and can have it done before the deadline.

Rook said:

I've got nothing against the change of sky or the choice of music for Green Destiny.

Fantastic! I'm glad you're happy with our choices!

40oz, did you want me to upload the final version or did you make the changes yourself already?

The 20th?

Damn I had better get on with it. I have an awesome start area and a few rooms. So far.

I'll get on it.

@Megalyth

Players can get the megasphere and safely press the switches down there by simply not firing a shot - nothing will block their way. I also feel like some reasonably placed monster blocking lines or a bit altered design would help the map since every other monster seemingly floating in the air is a little distracting. At least for me.

Surreily said:

40oz, did you want me to upload the final version or did you make the changes yourself already?

If there are any changes outside the change in sky, then yes. If not, don't worry about it. I intend to go through the maps and sky transfer the intended sky into each one so that assembling the maps in the desired order will be a breeze.

Grab a beer, some reviews are here!

EDIT: OP is up to date.

Ed

Nice job! The map seems a little less brutal now for the lower skill settings, and great for the rest of the skills. Nothing left to say here! OK!

Obsidian

Didnt notice the one less archvile on easy, and the secret soulsphere really offset the contrast in difficulty as well which is good considering the difficulty of this map. As Effinghuffnagel said, while it's nicer to be able to see the archvile, you're still able to kill it with weapons carried from the previous map. I'm gonna play around with some test maps to see if there's a way to get the archvile to be able to kill you from behind self referencing sectors while you can see it, but you can't hurt it. I don't know if its possible without some superior trickery, but you may be able to put a shooting linedef type in front of the first arcvhile that reveals multiple archviles in the start area, punishing you with instant death if you attempt to hurt it, as the theme of the puzzle implies.

Worst case scenario, I can attach a death exit to the previous map. Otherwise, this is one deadly and surprisingly haunting map. I love it :) OK!

joe-ilya

Nice job! The hand rails make the impassible lines make sense now. I like your soulsphere secret too :) This seems to be a great fit for a MAP01. OK!

Marcaek

A Map!: Everything is pretty good! I think the addition of the shotgun in the starting area made your map a lot more fun. The difficulty settings are pretty good but I think Easy skill could use a stronger offensive for the exit. There are four imps and a pair of chaingunners protecting the exit, when I think it might be better with the imps gone, and a single archvile plus the two chaingunners, or maybe you could leave the imps and chaingunners and add some hell knights or hell barons to the mix. I understand you're pressed for time so let me know if you're unable to get to it. With your permission, I could make that small change for you and give your map the OK!

Also do, you have any preference for a title or music (D_DDTBLU, D_MESSAG, D_THE_DA or D_IN_CIT maybe?)

Captain Toenail

Fatalist: Your teleport traps that I didn't notice were missing earlier work now, but I started having trouble with your arachnatrons again, shooting the floor if I got too close, and rendering them harmless. I went and moved the outside control sector down a few units (8 or 16, I can't remember exactly) to level them a little bit with the player and they were much more dangerous after that :D. I was careful to make sure you could still see the marble floors they were standing on. Is it cool if I OK it with that minor change?

Breezeep & Marcaek & Tuxlar

And All That Could Have Been: Changes are nice! The swap between the rocket launcher and red key looks more appropriate. I still think UV is a little stingy with ammo though. I think one extra shell box near the beginning would do good without me having to enforce extreme precision on myself. Also you may be able to address the concern EffingHuffNagel had about getting locked into the heat of battle without the super shotgun. I think you can put some metal 16x16 bars blocking the starting room from where the archvile starts, and take the linedef in front of the super shotgun (linedef 33) and make it linedef type (109) W1 Door Open Stay (fast) opening those bars. That way you can't go anywhere until you get that super shotgun first. I too, by sheer impatience, ran out into the fight without getting the super shotgun and resulted in near-unavoidable death.

If you're bored of working on it, I could add those bars in, plus a UV-only shell box somewhere and give the map the OK!

gothic

Cybercage: The new door texture on the first building definitely make this map easier to navigate. There's still two main things I want to mention though. I think the puzzle nature of the map is still a little too complex. I think you may of misunderstood what I meant about giving the 'final switch' in each building a similar look. In your map, these switches are the ones on lines 759, 730, and 549. If they all have a similar texture, it will clue to the player to return to the first building where a lion switch releasing a cyberdemon will be revealed.
You should block the first lion switch here with a marble baron face and candle, like all the others down below. Have a line just before it lower the marble baron face when the player steps close to it. That will give him a clue that the rest of the marble baron faces will lower later.
The other thing I wanted to mention is that I'm struggling for ammo in this map. There are quite a few areas where if you don't remember to grab the rockets before releasing the cyberdemons from their cage, there's no way to kill them without using up your precious shotgun shells. Maybe if you put some extra shell boxes in the start area, the player will have to use the super shotgun against the cybies if he doesn't think to grab the rockets first, without breaking the map for later.
One thing I noticed; it isn't necessarily a bug, but if you get the rockets from the first cybercage, the only way back is to drop down and go up the stairs again. It's just a little annoying. Just put a step here on the outside so I can get back :)
The hell knights on the stairs in the first building are supposed to keep you from going up the stairs too fast. I like that, but I think just 1 hell knight would be enough. The other one just uses up ammo.
Make those changes and your map will get an OK!

Archi

I went through this map one more time and couldn't really find anything strikingly bad about it. It's a little obviously-speedmapped in most parts, even though the gameplay is top notch. All I'd really say is to give it some Plutonia-style details to complement the gameplay, like some extra wooden supports, exposed bricks, marblefaces, or windows with some mountains behind it or something. It could also use a fair implementation of difficulty levels. Other than that it's an OK by my books.

Megalyth

Great Map! Definitely looks like Plutonia, utilizes higher-end monsters, has a nice puzzle-solvey nature to it and utilizes space pretty well in a way that reuses previous areas and doesn't feel cramped. Nice work! However, in regards to the gameplay, the map opens up really fierce and reckless, and as many of the big monsters go down, like the mancubi in the start, the sniping chaingunners and revenants etc., the chaos softens and the mission becomes much more clear.
To put it simply, the difficulty in the early parts of the map don't match the difficulty of the later parts. You've got traps as you move along, which is good, but they could still stand to be beefed up a little more, while the beginning part could do with being more calm. I could also say I thought the regular shotgun being in a more obscure spot than the rocket launcher or SSG was a bit jarring, and I was a bit bewildered when there were no consequences for getting the red key or pressing the switch that reveals the exit.
The quantity of monsters you've got here is great. The issue lies in when they are called into battle. For example, the fight with the mancubi in the start area is only made to be hard because you've got imps sniping you, and a revenant in the background that you can't shoot because the fatsos hog your autoaim targetting. Once the sniping monsters are dead, any similar situation bringing monsters at ground level are a hundred times easier now that you don't have those pesky imps raining fire on you from above. Since those imps are on a ledge you can't get to, you could sink them in the floor and use a linedef action that raises them up by the time you reach the blue key. Coupled with the revenant teleporting in, that will move a particularly tricky part of the map to a part where the player can be better prepared for it, increasing the difficulty as the player makes more progress.
If you're okay with rearranging things, the map could do a lot better with the rocket launcher and shotgun swapped, and the super shotgun to a later part of the map (like maybe in place of the megasphere) I think if you move the starting mancubi to a location where they could be used to block the exit after the switch is pressed, instead of in the starting area, it would leave only the single revenant, giving the illusion that the map is pretty desolate. Of course, making later parts more intense by adding extra monsters to the teleport ambushes when important switches are thrown or keys are picked up could help in making things more exciting. I could give you more suggestions but I think I'd need to see some of these changes in action before I can home in on more trouble areas. For the most part I think you did very well with this and I look forward to seeing your next update and hopefully getting in the mapset before its too late! Keep it up! :)

Yeah thats sounds fine 40oz.

I've been having trouble getting monster teleporters to work perfectly recently - the monsters don't teleport because the destination is blocked, then they do not walk over the teleport line again. The current setup I have used works but it's a bit of a bodge.

Sorry about the lack of playtesting recently, I've been busy with extra shifts at work (co-worker was fired for some reason and I have to do some of her shifts). I'll probably be free on Monday to go over all the maps again.

We should also check for dm starts in every map. I know it's not a requirement for the wad but it would be nice to have them in there. Useful for compatibility with mods and silly multiplayer shenanigans.

Is there going to be intermission text screen for this?

Alright 40oz, Here's V5.

I've added the bars that close when the player steps off the plutonia slipgate. Everything should work now, and now I wait for the OK.

Found two issues with the new version of PL1024-Breezeep_marcaek_v5.wad. Sorry.

First is an odd thing that I'm surprised hasn't come up before: Linedef tag 5 which the AV uses at the start to teleport away and then come back when you use linedef tag 9 to lower the red key - there are three other unused W1 linedef tag 5s in that area. I've seen Chaingunners and Imps teleport away to the closet, then hit linedef tag 16 and come back. This time through I was one monster short of 100% at the end. I clipped around and found that a Mancubus had used one of the linedefs and ended up in the closet. He's bigger than the closet space, so he got stuck there and couldn't move to come back. Need to make that closet, sector tags 5 and 9, big enough for a Mancubus, which would also make it big enough for a Caco, which would be more likely to hit linedef tag 5.

Second is lots of visual errors that weren't there before.

http://i.imgur.com/STrg5mW.png
http://i.imgur.com/MPjFo9a.png
http://i.imgur.com/87SgrD1.png
http://i.imgur.com/VEAszS9.png
http://i.imgur.com/J9sDIIW.png
http://i.imgur.com/H8quqo0.png
http://i.imgur.com/h5QXn1B.png
http://i.imgur.com/YS1UNCJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/t6NVErJ.png
http://i.imgur.com/LSUEy0j.png
http://i.imgur.com/e0pETCd.png

Don't know what happened. Don't think they're ZDoom only.

Probably the last update from me: V5a I just wanted to replace only a few textures I felt weren't in the right place. Marcaek, I don't know what else is wrong in my map, You mind finding out the issues in the latest version of my map?

Hey just posting to say that if you are currently working on a map, you have until August 20th to get it in! That means you have 3 days (or 2 + the rest of today) to finish! Any fresh maps submitted on that date or later will not be accepted!!

if you've already submitted a map and its in the maplist in pending changes status OR awaiting review status, you'll still have until August 27th to make any necessary changes to get in. Any maps modified on or after August 27th will be rejected from the map list!

Final release is set for September 1st 2014!!

IF YOURE LOOKING FOR MORE DETAILED FEEDBACK, PLEASE PM ME OR ONE OF THE PLAYTESTERS FOR DETAILS TO ACCELERATE THE PROCESS -- THANK YOU

Fellowzdoomer, I have been toying with the idea of a MAP32 for this map set. When I got your map, there wasn't really much to work with - only a MAP01 starting area.

Why MAP01 when we can go further? MAP01 seems a bit obvious, so I decided to try using the "Go 2 It" idea with MAP02 (Underhalls) instead, and I think it's working out pretty well. Of course, the name "The Place of Death" should remain, as I think it's pretty appropriate. Yes, this one will be hard - arch-vile count is currently at 7 :)

No map today, but have some screenies!

Note that these images contain some nasty texture alignment issues - I will fix it all once I'm done with the gameplay, details, and other stuff. And yes, both shots have a different sky - I will be using SKY3 in the end!

It's all loosely based on MAP02 - the basic layout should be there, but I didn't want to completely copy it, so you will notice some differences even in these screens. Hopefully you can easily identify which areas the shots are based on! The map should be available to test shortly...

Hey "surreily",

I've been watching this thread and noticed your post.

Fellowzdoomer has apparently been in a forum called "Losers".

ChronoSerge said:

Hey "surreily",

I've been watching this thread and noticed your post.

Fellowzdoomer has apparently been in a forum called "Losers".

Really? what did he do?

Breezeep said:

So, isn't my map checked yet?

I had another go at it, but i wasn't able to recreate the issues effinghamhuffnagel reported. Not the teleports or the slime trails in either version. I could look at it in an editor to double check if what was happening can still happen but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Unless its something major I don't see anything against OKing it.

On an unrelated note, how does this look for a TITLEPIC?

I had no idea how I was gonna do the magnifying glass. Is the text small enough to be a parody, or does it need to be more funny? Here's the original Plutonia TITLEPIC for comparison. Maybe it could use a huge PLUTONIA 1024 splash on the top half for size contrast. I was thinking about using the TITLEPICS posted earlier as maybe a BOSSBACK or INTERPIC, or both, with one as a recolor or something.

Breezeep said:

So, isn't my map checked yet?

Tested 5b. Trails still showed up. Using zdoom-2.8pre-585-g1fcde91, dated 8/8/14, with NVidia GForce GTX 660, Windows 8.1. Is there some ZDoom or NVidia setting on my end that's causing this?

http://i.imgur.com/RQBJffd.png
http://i.imgur.com/AbTXFZv.png
http://i.imgur.com/KvJOsuN.png
http://i.imgur.com/mHyjYxE.png
http://i.imgur.com/3FW9Pos.png
http://i.imgur.com/GexXSSL.png

---
The teleport issue is rarer. As I said there are three unused W1 monster teleports left after the AV at the start uses one. There's only one Mancubus on that level that could use the teleports and only a Mancubus or larger monster could get stuck. He can only do so after the Yellow bars are raised and the linedef tag 9 switch releases the AV. Odds are he'll be dead, or some Imps, Demons or Chaingunners will use up the linedefs by then. Cacos are just a tiny bit larger than the teleport destination, so I think they are able to move, too. Clipped and took a pic of the automap, then the screen.

http://i.imgur.com/mZYuVaL.png
http://i.imgur.com/9ihuqiM.png

I've made extensive changes to the game-play and progression. The action is pretty steady through to the end without adding a whole bunch more monsters. There are some vicious new traps in this version as well.

Burgalveist v2

Megalyth said:

I've made extensive changes to the game-play and progression. The action is pretty steady through to the end without adding a whole bunch more monsters. There are some vicious new traps in this version as well.

Burgalveist v2

Awesome! Can't wait to try it when I get home!

btw, updated the TITLEPIC to say Plutonia 1024 on the top. Maybe some small details in the future like "A Doomworld Community Project" tucked away in the corner, but that'll come in time.

Thanks to my subconcious for all the criticism. :)

I like your first titlepic most, but the second one is cool as well.

@Joe-Ilya Pretty good! Some neatening up and a bit of detail wouldn't go astray, but I reckon that's a pretty decent map you've got there. I'd recommend at least having a Plutonia gate visible at the exit so it fits with the theme though.

40oz said:

btw, updated the TITLEPIC to say Plutonia 1024 on the top. Maybe some small details in the future like "A Doomworld Community Project" tucked away in the corner, but that'll come in time.

http://i.imgur.com/bgyG17N.png

Thanks to my subconcious for all the criticism. :)

That looks good, But TBH, I liked the title "Plutinya 1024" better.