Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

hawkwind said:

Jungle Juice ...

1. Light level for sectors 81 and 156 didn't make sense.
2. Glow for sector 571 not make sense - unless an arrow ?
3. Wrong texture on line 49
4. Lines 3004, 3005, 3002 and 3009 need lower back side textures. Depending on how the game is played - switch order - sector 576 can rise temporarily higher than sector 31, resulting in HOM.
5. Secret sector 47 impossible to get - AFAIK.
6. Secret sector 21 impossible to get - unless AV jump required.

Thanks for the feedback!

(unchanged)1. I think it looks cooler with the light breaking up the monotony of the wall, even though there is no realistic light source.
(unchanged)2. I made all the progression/non-trap switches glowing as a subtle hint. The problem with the first switch is that it lowers into the ground, and leaves a glowing sector that can be awkward or confusing. I will leave this in because I think the sinking switch is cooler than an alternative embedding it into the wall.
(-changed-)3. Hello Startan! I didn't see you there. Thanks for pointing this out.
(unchanged)4. These should be fixed in v4; I believe you have v3. The problem before was that the linedef triggers in the northeast that lowered the pillar to reveal the switch that raises the 2 mini slime platforms. I hope there isn't still a bug.
(unchanged)5. You can get secret 47 from walking down from the north, through the vines.
(-changed-)6. You can get secret 21 from sector 17, the diagonal hotdog sector northeast of it (you get there by jumping through vines also). There was a point when I made sector 21 with the plasma rifle 4 units taller than the corners because it looked cool, but it made the platforming less consistent. I am going to revert this because it's a mild gameplay problem otherwise. The jump still fails sometimes if you don't hit the corner of the pillar, but it is now more consistent.

I am glad you pointed these things out.

Version 5:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56831507/Doom/Finished/JungleJuice-1024-v5.wad

Also, the map can technically be beat in 11 seconds using an archvile jump :)

NoisyVelvet said:

I wanted to see what would happen if I hit the switches in a completely different order. Two Demons never teleported in; linedef tag 33. In their teleport landing spot was a barrel that didn't get exploded. Tomorrow I'll try this again seeing what happens if I consciously try not to explode barrels.

Edit: I added this to a test wad as MAP33. The only way to get there without a MAPINFO is idclev33. When I got there, the automap showed the level name as "unnamed" even though I added a PHUSTR_33 entry to the DEHACKED. It was also silent. I know Doom2.wad uses D_READ_M as the default music if a MAP33 exists. Does Plutonia not?

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Two Demons never teleported in ... barrel that didn't get exploded.

I am aware of that. I kinda liked the idea of exploding a barrel and have a rogue Pinky immediately replacing it and running at you. It adds a small amount of variance to the gameplay if you play multiple times and hit the switches in different orders. It can be annoying for people trying to achieve 100% completion though, and no one will ever play the map twice. It's a tradeoff.

I/one-of-us can fix this you favor making all the teleport destinations distinct.

No, no, if it was an intentional author's choice, that's fine. And it is funny.

Edit: Hmm, that would make a good trap. Can't pick up the key because it's surrounded by barrels. Blow up the barrels and monsters appear. Nice variant on the monster closet.

jungle juice v5 ...

(unchanged)4. These should be fixed in v4; I believe you have v3.

I had v4. You do have lower textures on the front side, but not the back. Now have v5. The issue may depend on the switch sequence ? Probably wouldn't hurt to put textures on the back sides of forementioned lines.

Also boom linetype 261 could be used for sector 608 and surrounding sectors. Did you intend the ceiling of sector 563 to be RROCK14 ? It doesn't seem to fit the adjacent ceilings.

Maybe access to sectors 99/609/26 so the player can pick up the dead chaingunners weapon ? It can be done by just removing the impassible flag from line 134. Player finds the "sweet spot" at sector 106 ( or 107 ) and walks/falls to sector 99.

Obsidian (GRB and Obsidian.wad ...

I noticed that sector 102 - bottom one - has rockets for hard skill. Nothing placed here for easy/medium. I suggest 2 small cell charges for medium and 2 large cell packs for easy.

Also T40 and T40 - medikits - look a bit wierd hanging of the ledge - I suggest having them fully in sector 7

hawkwind said:

...The issue may depend on the switch sequence ? Probably wouldn't hurt to put textures on the back sides of forementioned lines.

The bug can only happen if the pillar ceiling and floor are both raised, and the off-screen control sectors (tagged 52) were not raised when shooting the final switch. I added tag-52 control sectors in v4 so when you apply the Lower Floor to Lowest Adjacent Ceiling effect after hitting the final switch that raises the pillar, the outer sector of the pillar doesn't lower back down). This can only happen if the linedef tagged 52 on the last switch is skipped but the others were not.

I made a couple changes: pinched the linedefs, the ones from the multi-effect switches composed of multiple shootable linedefs making up a single switch, endpoints together so, in theory, you can't shoot some lines but not the others. Another way I could do this is use a couple of conveyor belts off-screen, but I'm too lazy right now to do that. I also added those 4 textures to the back sides in-case the bug still happens; Even if the bug happens, the map is still complete-able and doesn't HOM.

I'm guessing you got unlucky and managed to shoot the last mandatory switch without triggering tag 52 somehow. I have not been able to replicate this bug.

I can't find any other obvious way to arrive at the same bug, such as hitting the switches/walkover-linedefs in a particular sequence.

Thanks again.

Version 6:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56831507/Doom/Finished/JungleJuice-1024-v6.wad

hawkwind said:

You didn't like my other ideas ? Not to worry.

Oh woops, apparently I didn't read them. I'll go through it tomorrow if I have time.

hawkwind said:

Also boom linetype 261 could be used for sector 608 and surrounding sectors. Did you intend the ceiling of sector 563 to be RROCK14 ? It doesn't seem to fit the adjacent ceilings.

Maybe access to sectors 99/609/26 so the player can pick up the dead chaingunners weapon ? It can be done by just removing the impassible flag from line 134. Player finds the "sweet spot" at sector 106 ( or 107 ) and walks/falls to sector 99.

Changes:

-Thanks you for teaching me about boom linetype 261, that is a cool tool that I didn't know about. The ceiling is now appropriately lit.

-I don't remember if sector 563's rock ceiling was intentional or not, but it must have lasted that long because I thought it looked good or didn't set me off in a bad way. Upon reassessing it, it actually still looks better unchanged because from the 2 main positions you can look at it from it looks better. It breaks up monotony for that section of ceiling when looking at it length wise, and it adds contrast between the wall and ceiling for that segment looking at it head on. There's also linedef 2941 in the woods that was accidentally mistextured, but from the only angle it can be looked at, it actually looked better than it's more realistic alternative.

-I removed the impassable linedef from the chaingunner nest. Even though it is technically not 1024 anymore, it is still 1024 for all intents and purposes. The gameplay is slightly better as a result so it was worth it.

Version 7:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56831507/Doom/Finished/JungleJuice-1024-v7.wad

I am at the point where I am nervous about making marginal changes, because fear of accidentally creating new mistakes like accidentally stroking the ctrl key when zooming in with Doombuilder and messing up floor heights. I always accept feedback though :)

edit: someone may want to put a single clip of 10 bullets on the start pad incase you enter the map with no ammo. It's up to the map compiler.

Cell said:

I'd make a complaint that in the version of Plutinya I've downloaded, maps 29 and 30 don't follow the 1024 guidelines. I can't guess why.

?

Is that a compliment or criticism?

NoisyVelvet said:

Changes:

-Thanks you for teaching me about boom linetype 261, that is a cool tool that I didn't know about.

Not that it applies here, but you might at some time be interested in the same effect for the floor - boom linetype 213.

hawkwind said:

Not that it applies here, but you might at some time be interested in the same effect for the floor - boom linetype 213.

I use them all the time! Great for creating the lava caves in WOS for example.

Where does it go? The Archive Maintainer section? Sorry I thought I was connecting to the server with the email as the password that was going to be used to confirm the upload. I guess you don't have access to that.

On that note, can you put a link to the final beta so everyone can give it a once-over please? I don't know whether or not the link in the OP is the latest, the post still says only 30 maps.

The final version only includes a slightly updated version of z0k's map, the middle texture bleeding in MAP01, and changes the flags of some lines across many maps, like impassable or block monsters or whatever, and EffingHamHuffNagel's adjusted CWILVxx entries.

Did you guys actually decide on what maps to use? I've only read reviews so far.

40oz said:

Where does it go? The Archive Maintainer section? Sorry I thought I was connecting to the server with the email as the password that was going to be used to confirm the upload. I guess you don't have access to that.

You're right--that's server stuff and doesn't document who you are for others, which is the point of the text file--talk to others with it. I was hoping for at least one of the names to include email but they're all "handles."

The template UPLTEMPL.TXT in the root of the archive site looks in part like this inside

Title                   : (title of your masterpiece)
Filename                : (filename of primary file (xxx.WAD))
Release date            :
Author                  : (your name here)
Email Address           :
I bet you can guess which one's the email address slot...

There's also a utility to help build the txt files here on Doomworld at http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?textmaker

The further discussion sounds like maybe it's not really final yet. Please be sure it is before uploading.

40oz said:

Did you guys actually decide on what maps to use? I've only read reviews so far.

Okay, if we're voting, I think Drowning Pool should be MAP29, Eternal Sleep should be MAP30 and Jungle Juice should be an unreferenced MAP33 like Plutonia 2 had. It's too good and interesting not to use somewhere. If someone thinks it should be part of the regular gameplay and wants to add another secret exit to one of the existing maps, that's a possibility if the original author agrees (MAP31, Cybercage has a false exit that could be re-tasked to be a secret exit the way the start became the exit in MAP14, And All That Could Have Been (after it's discovered as the false exit. Who would think the false exit was now a real secret exit after the real exit appears?)). I picked some music for MAP33 (the intermission music by Mr. Freeze from plutmidi.wad). I created a MAPINFO and added the additional lines to the DEHACKED. I think I got them right. Levels that didn't specify music should default to the original Plutonia music. Here's the link for the zip with all three items. I didn't get a chance to test these. I'm on my way out the door for something now. Let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b6kxubzfbgfc6w5/Plutinya+adds.zip

40oz said:

The final version only includes a slightly updated version of z0k's map, the middle texture bleeding in MAP01, and changes the flags of some lines across many maps, like impassable or block monsters or whatever, and EffingHamHuffNagel's adjusted CWILVxx entries.

Does the final version include a fix for the mid texture bleeding with the texture a-grate in map 12 ?

Tested the MAPINFO. MAP06 music didn't play. Should have defaulted. Checked. I forgot that most music was being replaced by music from other levels in the DEHACKED. Converted the old style MAPINFO to new style, leaving all the $MUSIC entries and changing the variables according to the DEHACKED. Noticed that MAP08 music was not changed in the DEHACKED, so it's the only map actually keeping its own music. Also left the default Plutonia cluster information at the end of the MAPINFO. It doesn't hurt anything and if MAP33 is added to regular gameplay it would need its own cluster, definition and enter text added anyway. Here's the new MAPINFO. Hope it's right this time.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ls8h2bhi125w84b/plutinya_new_MAPINFO.zip

Edit: I don't know how the DEHACKED and MAPINFO interface with each other when both are changing music. In what order do they operate and what takes precedence? Meaning: in the DEHACKED the MAP06 music points to MAP19. The MAP19 music points to MAP12. The MAP12 music points to a new music file. So when I refer to the MAP19 music variable in the MAPINFO's MAP06 definition, does it pull in the original MAP19 music or the music after it's pointing to MAP12 music?

Music plays for all levels. I'm just not sure it's always the correct music.

Edit2:

hawkwind said:

Does the final version include a fix for the mid texture bleeding with the texture a-grate in map 12 ?

Also noticed on MAP12 that the start and exit pads don't have the correct lighting. They're not pulsating. Not sure if that was mentioned before.

Edit3: On MAP14, the blood in the pit is damaging but none of the blood on the upper level is.

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

Just letting the project makers of this know now that BTSXE2 is done, I'm going to be covering this megawad via livestream (doing part 1 right now as of time of this post), if you're interested in having some feedback or just seeing a somewhat casual Doom player struggle through your offering.

I'll also post the on-demand links and a brief written review of the maps I cover in each part afterwards.

Me here again, after watching Suitepee's stream of Plutinya, He said in the stream that he was annoyed about the final fight in map12, because of the two arch viles on UV. so I decided to replace the second vile with another revenant. you can get the revision here.
Please let me know what you think of this change.

Suitepee said:

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

Just letting the project makers of this know now that BTSXE2 is done, I'm going to be covering this megawad via livestream

Okay, for you to play the megawad, it has to actually be a megawad. That's in discussion. So you don't have to comb through the thread and look for files, I put together the latest versions of maps 29, 30 and 33 with music and map title graphics. I did not touch or add any other maps from the released version on 9/2. The DEHACKED is complete with the additional map entries. I also added my MAPINFO. For the sake of completeness, I threw in some old midis for title and intermission music. Here's the link.

Plutinya 1024 Extended

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bfyp1liyh3ofa6c/pl1024ex.zip

Edit: I also did not add the fixed (centered) map title graphics.

I think suitepee needs to learn how to actually fight the monsters he routinely complains about.

A better alternative would be to add a single rocketbox somewhere instead, so that you have the ammo to deal with it but still have the risk of close quarter rocket usage.