Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Doom Launcher - Doom frontend & database v3.7.4 (12/2023)

4 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Thank you for the report. I have resolved the problem in version 2.5.1 below. Let me know if it works.

Thanks for the info. I have resolved the problem with the searching. The column position was a feature that must have recently been broken and should be fixed in 2.5.1 below. Let me know it resolves these problems.

Doom Launcher parses the text file in the zip file. The right pane is the 'description' portion of the text file. It may not be 100% all of the time because of all the variations of how people might put together the text file. It is however, usually very good. If you want to view the whole file quickly you can right click the file and select 'View Text File'.

I will implement the shortcut feature in the next major release.

Bug fix version 2.5.1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/off239huhuwgmgl/DoomLauncher_2.5.1.zip?dl=0

Cheers for the update mate! = ) Seems to have fixed the problem (for some reason the problem went away on its own as well, prior though...! : O )

Right, I seem to get an error which is intentional here... trying to run Beautiful Doom 6.14, and getting this error:

"BDoom614.zip:        Zip archive contained an improper pk3"

It seems to imply that BDoom is improperly named? I opened it straight through GZDoom 2.4 and had no error whatsoever, plays like a dream. What is the propblem with the naming-conventions? Do I need to remove the numbers?

EDIT:

I just saw that Beautiful Doom 6.1.0.5 is searchable in the iDGames tab, which is an earlier version... could this somehow be causing this problem?

Beautiful Doom has now of course already reached version 6.1.4.1, so iDGames is sadly, alas, not updated.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=50004

Edited by DoomN00b : Possible lead on error added.

37 minutes ago, DoomN00b said:

"BDoom614.zip:        Zip archive contained an improper pk3"

This error means that it was unable to read the contents of the pk3, which is basically just a zip file. The file was still added to your library but Doom Launcher couldn't read the contents to scan for maps etc. and was warning you. It should still launch with GZDoom through Doom Launcher.

I downloaded 6.1.4 (BDoom614.pk3) and I got no error when I imported it in Doom Launcher and it played fine. Maybe your download got corrupted or something?

21 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

This error means that it was unable to read the contents of the pk3, which is basically just a zip file. The file was still added to your library but Doom Launcher couldn't read the contents to scan for maps etc. and was warning you. It should still launch with GZDoom through Doom Launcher.

I downloaded 6.1.4 (BDoom614.pk3) and I got no error when I imported it in Doom Launcher and it played fine. Maybe your download got corrupted or something?

That's a negative - because I just launched it with Doomlauncher 2.5.0 and it worked flawlessly - same wad, same download and everything, just a different version of Doomlauncher.

Off-topic:

------------------
BTW - if you ever perfect Doomlauncher, then I totally think the Duke Nukem community should try and reach out to you to create a pak-launcher for Duke! : D You've got a heckuva basic program here!

Heck, if some Duke-fan is ambitious, they should take the following steps:

1. Make a new source-port for Shadow Warrior: Chocolate Warrior - formatted according to the same basics which Chocolate Duke is, as seen in the link:

http://fabiensanglard.net/duke3d/chocolate_duke_nukem_3D.php

2. Use the Chocolate Warrior source-port as the basis of BUILD 2! A standardised Build-port, which can play ALL build-games, the same way GZDoom can play all Doom-games.

3. Develop Build 2 into VBuild264 - a 64-bit, vulkan-based rendering port for all build-games - thereby SURPASSING Doom's ports, as is the right thing for Build-games to do.

4. Package Build 2 into a big single software suite containing:

+VBuild264

+Duke-Builder (64-bit based map-making mod-tool for Vbuild264)

+DukeLauncher! :D (a launcher-program nearly identical to Doomlauncher, except for Build-games)

Ahh... a man can but dream... but such a thing would probably be many years away from realization. : [ Except Dukelauncher - I think you could totally make a duke-port for Doomlauncher, I seriously do.

-----------------

/off-topic

8 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Thank you for the report. I have resolved the problem in version 2.5.1 below. Let me know if it works.

Thanks for the info. I have resolved the problem with the searching. The column position was a feature that must have recently been broken and should be fixed in 2.5.1 below. Let me know it resolves these problems.

Doom Launcher parses the text file in the zip file. The right pane is the 'description' portion of the text file. It may not be 100% all of the time because of all the variations of how people might put together the text file. It is however, usually very good. If you want to view the whole file quickly you can right click the file and select 'View Text File'.

I will implement the shortcut feature in the next major release.

Bug fix version 2.5.1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/off239huhuwgmgl/DoomLauncher_2.5.1.zip?dl=0

Yes, the search feature crash bug appears to be gone in the new bug fix version.  Thanks for the prompt response and fix.  Really looking forward to the next major release of this very useful tool.  I agree that it does an excellent job with the parsing though sometimes it does get confused and lists the wrong txt info file in the archive if there are multiple text files when you do the right-click thing.  Maybe a way to easily point the program to the right txt file could be a future option. Of course, the one thing I most want to see in future builds of Doom Launcher is the ability to further customize the tags in the columns with the ability to save the changes you make.  Great work on this, by the way..

2 hours ago, DoomN00b said:

That's a negative - because I just launched it with Doomlauncher 2.5.0 and it worked flawlessly - same wad, same download and everything, just a different version of Doomlauncher.

Off-topic:

------------------
BTW - if you ever perfect Doomlauncher, then I totally think the Duke Nukem community should try and reach out to you to create a pak-launcher for Duke! : D You've got a heckuva basic program here!

Heck, if some Duke-fan is ambitious, they should take the following steps:

1. Make a new source-port for Shadow Warrior: Chocolate Warrior - formatted according to the same basics which Chocolate Duke is, as seen in the link:

http://fabiensanglard.net/duke3d/chocolate_duke_nukem_3D.php

2. Use the Chocolate Warrior source-port as the basis of BUILD 2! A standardised Build-port, which can play ALL build-games, the same way GZDoom can play all Doom-games.

3. Develop Build 2 into VBuild264 - a 64-bit, vulkan-based rendering port for all build-games - thereby SURPASSING Doom's ports, as is the right thing for Build-games to do.

4. Package Build 2 into a big single software suite containing:

+VBuild264

+Duke-Builder (64-bit based map-making mod-tool for Vbuild264)

+DukeLauncher! :D (a launcher-program nearly identical to Doomlauncher, except for Build-games)

Ahh... a man can but dream... but such a thing would probably be many years away from realization. : [ Except Dukelauncher - I think you could totally make a duke-port for Doomlauncher, I seriously do.

-----------------

/off-topic

Icecoldduke on the eduke32 forums is attempting to hook up Shadow Warrior to eduke32.  Right now, he has created his own fork below to get that running.  

https://forums.duke4.net/topic/9309-shadow-warrior-new-episode/page__view__findpost__p__277456

https://github.com/jmarshall23/ShadowWarrior/commits/master

Please note:  It is not anywhere near complete yet.  Do not pester him to hurry it up.  It'll get done when it gets done.

Okay, I just noticed that when you move the column headers around it saves the positions after you exit then re-open.  So this 2.5.1 fixed the two major issues I had with this program.  Doom Launcher now does exactly what I need it to do and it's stable.  Any new useful features in future updates will be a nice bonus.  Thanks again, Hobomaster22.

Oh, I had forgotten that I had one more issue with Doom Launcher.  Whenever I launch a wad from Doom Launcher using PrBoom+, then exit from the game, I get this popup error:

"The file E:\Games\Doom\Source Ports\prboom-plus-2.5.1.4\levelstat.txt was not found and could not be parsed."

Unticking "save statistics" from the DL launch window fixes the issue, but then it reverts right back to "save statistics" being ticked next time I launch the wad again.  This only happens with PrBoom and not GZdoom.

Another issue that if fixed would move this tool closer and closer to perfection:

In the "Additional Files/Load Order" window, everything shows up twice in the "Select Individual Files" screen.  It might keep it tidier and minimize unnecessary scrolling if they only showed up once.

On 6/3/2017 at 8:17 PM, cacomonkey said:

Oh, I had forgotten that I had one more issue with Doom Launcher.  Whenever I launch a wad from Doom Launcher using PrBoom+, then exit from the game, I get this popup error:

"The file E:\Games\Doom\Source Ports\prboom-plus-2.5.1.4\levelstat.txt was not found and could not be parsed."

Unticking "save statistics" from the DL launch window fixes the issue, but then it reverts right back to "save statistics" being ticked next time I launch the wad again.  This only happens with PrBoom and not GZdoom.

On 6/5/2017 at 11:14 AM, cacomonkey said:

Another issue that if fixed would move this tool closer and closer to perfection:

In the "Additional Files/Load Order" window, everything shows up twice in the "Select Individual Files" screen.  It might keep it tidier and minimize unnecessary scrolling if they only showed up once.

I'm planning on removing the error message generated by launching Boom. I will update the launcher to remember the state of the statistics check box as well.

I recently noticed the bug of duplicates in the "Select Individual Files" screen. Will get that fixed in the next revision. Thanks for the report.

18 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

I'm planning on removing the error message generated by launching Boom. I will update the launcher to remember the state of the statistics check box as well.

I recently noticed the bug of duplicates in the "Select Individual Files" screen. Will get that fixed in the next revision. Thanks for the report.

That would be great.  It's amazing how polished this frontend has became in the relatively short time since its inception thanks to your hard work.  It won't go unappreciated and I'm sure this will become the de facto mod management program for doom fanatics the world over,  if it isn't already.

One other thing that isn't really that crucial but it would be nice if eventually not only the columns' positions get saved when you close and reopen (which they do now in version 2.5.1) but if it remembered which column you last sorted when you last closed.  Right now, though I have Title listed as my first column and sorted, it always defaults to sorted by "Downloaded" when reopened.  But this is very minor right now.  What's important is that we now have an excellent, working frontend for us maniacs that have over 275 wads in our collection, like yours truly here :)

New version 2.6.0.

Bug Fixes:

- Removed error dialog for statistics when using Boom.
- Fix for duplication of files when selecting 'Select Individual Files'.
- Fix for editing file descriptions that would cause additional new lines in the dialog box. Also fixed issue that would cause the dialog box to close
  when the enter key was pressed to add new lines in the description/comments boxes.
- Right clicking a file and selecting 'View Text File...' will prompt user to select a text file if more than one is found.
- Doom Launcher will remember sorted columns for all tabs.
- Doom Launcher will remember if 'Save Statistics' was selected. This previously always defaulted to checked.

New Features:
- Added comments to the tooltip.
- Added shortcut feature. Right clicking a file and selecting 'Create Shortcut' will create a shortcut to launch on the user's desktop.
- Added utility feature. You can right click and open a file with your favorite utilities such as Doom Builder or Slade to view wads.
- Added feature to update a file. This allows new version of a file to be updated without losing any information linked to that file.

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=23324

The new features and fixes are wonderful, they made Doom Launcher much more convenient to use and less of a hassle in some places. Nice to be able to read multiple text files without having to go to the GameFiles folder to do that, also great that the annoying PrBoom+ stats error doesn't show up anymore, though I do wonder if Competition Doom might have its error removed too. Being able to use SLADE with ease as well as fixing the bug with the column tabs just made Doom Launcher my new primary launcher to use, saves me data space and makes it all easier to organize my single-player files. I would say the launcher is perfect now, awesome work!

On another note, the page for Doom Launcher on Realm667 has not been updated version 2.6.0 yet,any idea when the launcher will be up to date on the site?

1 hour ago, GuyNamedErick said:

The new features and fixes are wonderful, they made Doom Launcher much more convenient to use and less of a hassle in some places. Nice to be able to read multiple text files without having to go to the GameFiles folder to do that, also great that the annoying PrBoom+ stats error doesn't show up anymore, though I do wonder if Competition Doom might have its error removed too. Being able to use SLADE with ease as well as fixing the bug with the column tabs just made Doom Launcher my new primary launcher to use, saves me data space and makes it all easier to organize my single-player files. I would say the launcher is perfect now, awesome work!

On another note, the page for Doom Launcher on Realm667 has not been updated version 2.6.0 yet,any idea when the launcher will be up to date on the site?

Glad it is working well for you. I do not have access to update the download on Realm667. I generally email Tormentor the new revision right before I post it here. With the time difference it generally takes a day or so for it to get updated.

I will remove the stats error for CNDoom as well, that one completely slipped my mind. I will put in a fix in the next release along with other issues that may come up. I'm looking to get the build as solid as possible and the feedback like yours is very helpful, thanks!

2 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Glad it is working well for you. I do not have access to update the download on Realm667. I generally email Tormentor the new revision right before I post it here. With the time difference it generally takes a day or so for it to get updated.

I will remove the stats error for CNDoom as well, that one completely slipped my mind. I will put in a fix in the next release along with other issues that may come up. I'm looking to get the build as solid as possible and the feedback like yours is very helpful, thanks!

Glad to hear that the Realm667 web page is not forgotten, for a second I thought it was. Also good to hear that the stats error for CNDoom will be removed too seeing that PrBoom+ got its stats error removed in this version. As for bugs, I came across one recently, that being when adding a new file on the launch page, the column tabs on the add file page reset to be sorted by date downloaded, much like the bug in V2.5.1 where column tabs would reset on just the main page. While I can set aside tabs resetting on the add file page, it would be great to have the column tabs settings be remembered like they are with the column tabs in the main page. Regardless, good to see you are addressing the problems quickly, it's very much appreciated!

On 2017. 11. 11. at 11:55 PM, hobomaster22 said:

New version 2.6.0.

Bug Fixes:

- Removed error dialog for statistics when using Boom.
- Fix for duplication of files when selecting 'Select Individual Files'.
- Fix for editing file descriptions that would cause additional new lines in the dialog box. Also fixed issue that would cause the dialog box to close
  when the enter key was pressed to add new lines in the description/comments boxes.
- Right clicking a file and selecting 'View Text File...' will prompt user to select a text file if more than one is found.
- Doom Launcher will remember sorted columns for all tabs.
- Doom Launcher will remember if 'Save Statistics' was selected. This previously always defaulted to checked.

New Features:
- Added comments to the tooltip.
- Added shortcut feature. Right clicking a file and selecting 'Create Shortcut' will create a shortcut to launch on the user's desktop.
- Added utility feature. You can right click and open a file with your favorite utilities such as Doom Builder or Slade to view wads.
- Added feature to update a file. This allows new version of a file to be updated without losing any information linked to that file.

https://www.doomworld.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=23324

I install 2.6.0 version. my OS is windows 10, Already check .NET 4.5 installed.

I got error message. Unexpected Error.

--

System.ObjectDisposedException: can't found
Name: 'MainForm'
System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
System.Windows.Forms.Form.CreateHandle()
System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
DoomLauncher.Program.Main(String[] args)

--

How to fix that error?

Merry Christmas ~

On 12/25/2017 at 9:04 AM, openmind said:

I install 2.6.0 version. my OS is windows 10, Already check .NET 4.5 installed.

I got error message. Unexpected Error.

--

System.ObjectDisposedException: can't found
Name: 'MainForm'
System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
System.Windows.Forms.Form.CreateHandle()
System.Windows.Forms.Control.get_Handle()
System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
DoomLauncher.Program.Main(String[] args)

--

How to fix that error?

Merry Christmas ~

Thanks for the report. Sent you a PM so we can try to figure out whats going on.

This issue was addressed around this same time of year last year, but I could not see if/how it got resolved, so please allow me to try again: attempting to load a wad or a pk3, regardless of it being in the /GameFiles folder or not, will make a zipped copy into the /GameFiles folder.  This seems...highly redundant?  It also does that with pk3 files, which are already compressed afaik.  This is with the latest (2.6.0) version.  Am I missing something?

2 hours ago, Black Star said:

This issue was addressed around this same time of year last year, but I could not see if/how it got resolved, so please allow me to try again: attempting to load a wad or a pk3, regardless of it being in the /GameFiles folder or not, will make a zipped copy into the /GameFiles folder.  This seems...highly redundant?  It also does that with pk3 files, which are already compressed afaik.  This is with the latest (2.6.0) version.  Am I missing something?

I think the issue you are talking about was with IWAD files specifically. As the program evolved they were actually duplicated in two folders in Doom Launcher back when they were physically separated. This is no longer the case. Doom Launcher is designed to deal with zip files and the zip files can contain multiple files. For example, files downloaded from idgames generally contain a pk3 or a wad and a text file. They may have more files, bu which these are generally older releases. If it's just a pk3 then it will be put into a zip file because it's easier to deal with for consistency.

As far as making a zipped copy in the GameFiles folder, yes this will always happen. Doom Launcher is designed to be a contained application and manage everything for you. There isn't a real reason to go digging into the Doom Launcher folder unless there is an issue. If you download a file from the internet and add it to Doom Launcher it will not forever reference the file in your 'Downloads' folder, it handles the management. If you do not care about this file outside of Doom Launcher you can just delete it.

I see, so it is intended.  I see that now.  Does this mean I'm able to run Doom via USB drive with this launcher, provided I have the necessary files?

1 hour ago, Black Star said:

I see, so it is intended.  I see that now.  Does this mean I'm able to run Doom via USB drive with this launcher, provided I have the necessary files?

Yes. You can also add a SourcePorts folder in the Doom Launcher folder. If you add your source ports to this folder and reference them in Doom launcher the file paths will be local and everything should work straight from a USB drive.

I'm wrapping up the next release which is mostly bug fixes and documentation. I should add a section describing the portability functionality.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:27 PM, hobomaster22 said:

Yes. You can also add a SourcePorts folder in the Doom Launcher folder. If you add your source ports to this folder and reference them in Doom launcher the file paths will be local and everything should work straight from a USB drive.

I'm wrapping up the next release which is mostly bug fixes and documentation. I should add a section describing the portability functionality.

I found out that the ZDoom noendgame WAD file has two mistakes, one where the wrong music plays for E3M8 (It plays D_E1M8 instead) and D_OPENIN is not playing for MAP30. They were pretty simple fixes and having no music for MAP30 can affect custom WADs that use D_OPENIN as their MAP30 track. Of course there's also having the wrong map names for Plutonia, TNT, or any custom WAD, but that is too minor of an issue to pay attention to really.

noendgame.zip

Edit: Updated noendgame.wad file. Hopefully this can fix mapnames and music not playing right for most custom maps (Final Doom WADs won't have their mapnames shown, sorry).

noendgame.zip

Edited by GuyNamedErick : Updated noendgame file. Proper mapnames should show for most maps. Same with music files.

2 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Oh this is most grand.  I switch computers often lately so this is an awesome feature.  Thank you kind sir!

3 hours ago, GuyNamedErick said:

I found out that the ZDoom noendgame WAD file has two mistakes, one where the wrong music plays for E3M8 (It plays D_E1M8 instead) and D_OPENIN is not playing for MAP30. They were pretty simple fixes and having no music for MAP30 can affect custom WADs that use D_OPENIN as their MAP30 track. Of course there's also having the wrong map names for Plutonia, TNT, or any custom WAD, but that is too minor of an issue to pay attention to really.

noendgame.zip

Thanks for the fix, I updated the main post. It was something I threw together really quick. I really wish there was a better way to do it.

13 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

Thanks for the fix, I updated the main post. It was something I threw together really quick. I really wish there was a better way to do it.

I have tried to find other ways for the MAPINFO file to work properly with custom maps, but unfortunately some megawads and the likes have more than 32 maps or end before MAP30 (As in, take you to the end game screen. TCs often do this), so the only way to fix that is to make a separate MAPINFO file for those PWADs specifically. It is easy to make a MAPINFO file and have it in a separate WAD, but there is no other convenient way to have one MAPINFO file for multiple PWADs. Although most megawads have 32 maps anyways and most PWADs don't really take you to the end game screen, so issues for more advanced levels aside, just having the MAPINFO file focused on Doom 1 and 2 should be enough (and wrong names are too minor to worry about, as I stated earlier).

Anyways, glad I can assist, I'll look forward to the next release of Doom Launcher. :)

So,I just downloaded this and I have to say kudos to you OP, finally we have a great DOOM wad library + launcher all in one program!

I also found a bug:

-When searching for 2 character WADs, an error pops up saying: " Error retrieving data from id Games."

However,if I search on the ID games database, it works just fine. Also,if this turns out to be an unintentional error/unfixable, I'd suggest adding a "Need longer search string error", to be more descriptive.

Happy to help!

8 hours ago, Frances40002 said:

So,I just downloaded this and I have to say kudos to you OP, finally we have a great DOOM wad library + launcher all in one program!

I also found a bug:

-When searching for 2 character WADs, an error pops up saying: " Error retrieving data from id Games."

However,if I search on the ID games database, it works just fine. Also,if this turns out to be an unintentional error/unfixable, I'd suggest adding a "Need longer search string error", to be more descriptive.

Happy to help!

Thanks for the feedback. I just checked the idgames search and it does require at least three characters. I will add a fix in the next release. I had no idea so this is a good catch, thanks!

7 hours ago, -[EVIL]- Pepsi said:

This is pretty nifty tool here. Great work.

Thanks! It's good to read positive feedback. Helps me continue work on the next release.

Importing the metadata from idgames sets the release date of wads to the day after their actual release date:

0354ddg4wfwqw5qzg.jpg

14 hours ago, The Mysterious Moustachio said:

Importing the metadata from idgames sets the release date of wads to the day after their actual release date:

0354ddg4wfwqw5qzg.jpg

Not sure what's going on here but for me on idgames it's saying December 9:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/valve

Through Downloads it has a Submitted Date of December 9 as well:

Is it showing up differently for certain people? Here's a screenshot of when I search valiant to prove I'm not crazy:

vl.png.9d2d1bac657576b6c297abd581892705.png