Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Doom Launcher - Doom frontend & database v3.7.4 (12/2023)

12 minutes ago, spartan1096 said:

Is it possible to have different settings like graphics, keybind etc for different mods? I tried to create a new profile but they are still the same

I'm guessing you are talking about GZDoom. You have to make different ini file configurations and pass them with -config in the extra params section. These would also likely be global profiles so that you can select it for any file you are launching. This would automatically add the mod(s) and pass custom ini file to GZDoom.

Love the rar support (no more manually converting archives so I can use them!) and the default tile images, thank you!

On 12/30/2023 at 7:14 AM, hobomaster22 said:

Fixed crash for getting the next tile when changing pages or using arrow keys.

This one is still a bit weird. It no longer crashes, but it still doesn't work quite right. If I'm on a second page, and use the arrow keys, they still don't select another tile, it just does almost nothing, deselects most of the information from the currently active wad but keeps the completion stats of the previously-selected wad. It works perfectly fine on the first page though. This is on Windows 10, I'm not sure if that's why.

On 12/31/2023 at 9:21 PM, hobomaster22 said:

I'm guessing you are talking about GZDoom. You have to make different ini file configurations and pass them with -config in the extra params section. These would also likely be global profiles so that you can select it for any file you are launching. This would automatically add the mod(s) and pass custom ini file to GZDoom.

Thanks! It works now

*downloads on borrowed laptop to force brother to have a well-managed Doom installation*

I know this is likely SO much work, but while grabbing devbuilds off DRD, I couldn't help but wonder if one day Doom Launcher could support EC Wolf and Raze as well. All the old retro FPS games lovingly maintained by DW members in one place (Come to think of it, Doom 64 is still left out, that's another bag of worms)

Not specifically requesting it, just wondering about viability/possibility

Today I formatted my computer, and I made a little mistake, when I name my account I give it a slightly different name

I saved all the data from the Doom Launcher and put everything in exactly the same place, but now everything has a different path.

Is there a way to fix this???

13 hours ago, Devalaous said:

*downloads on borrowed laptop to force brother to have a well-managed Doom installation*

I know this is likely SO much work, but while grabbing devbuilds off DRD, I couldn't help but wonder if one day Doom Launcher could support EC Wolf and Raze as well. All the old retro FPS games lovingly maintained by DW members in one place (Come to think of it, Doom 64 is still left out, that's another bag of worms)

Not specifically requesting it, just wondering about viability/possibility

Would be difficult since Doom Launcher is built around the Doom file formats. One thing that Doom Launcher probably needs is a way to launch source ports without files, which would at least help if you're looking to run the games without custom files.

8 hours ago, Buhseo_ said:

Today I formatted my computer, and I made a little mistake, when I name my account I give it a slightly different name

I saved all the data from the Doom Launcher and put everything in exactly the same place, but now everything has a different path.

Is there a way to fix this???

This is the installed version where the data is all stored in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DoomLauncher? You would just need to copy the DoomLauncher folder to this path with your new username instead.

I've heard about Doom Launcher and want to use it over ZDL, at least for some games, because of the playtime tracking feature. One thing I can't figure out though is whether Doom Launcher has a file type that auto-opens Doom Launcher's WAD launcher window like the former's .zdl files

As an example, for Steam I could easily put something like "FilePathToZDLHere\Wad.zdl" in Launch Options for custom apps like ones I made for Chex Quest and HacX but is there an equivalent file for this one?

Trying to put the file paths to the .zip files Doom Launcher has made in my AppData path didn't do the trick...

3 hours ago, SuperSandwichGoku said:

I've heard about Doom Launcher and want to use it over ZDL, at least for some games, because of the playtime tracking feature. One thing I can't figure out though is whether Doom Launcher has a file type that auto-opens Doom Launcher's WAD launcher window like the former's .zdl files

As an example, for Steam I could easily put something like "FilePathToZDLHere\Wad.zdl" in Launch Options for custom apps like ones I made for Chex Quest and HacX but is there an equivalent file for this one? 

Trying to put the file paths to the .zip files Doom Launcher has made in my AppData path didn't do the trick...

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish but you can generate shortcuts by right clicking the file. One will bring up Doom Launcher with the dialog. The autoplay version will skip all of that and launch straight into the game and close Doom Launcher when the game is exited.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:31 AM, hobomaster22 said:

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish but you can generate shortcuts by right clicking the file. One will bring up Doom Launcher with the dialog. The autoplay version will skip all of that and launch straight into the game and close Doom Launcher when the game is exited.

Ah I might have not worded it best what I needed to do with that info and just messing around with the launch options more. Appreciate it.

Hello! I was just using Doom Launcher and wanted to add a mod in my list and when I did, it started to give me this message that says "There is an error: Out of Memory" and I am confused because I have memory on both my storage in my Laptop. It was sudden and I am not sure what to do. It also removed all the tags that I gave to the files I added. And now I cannot use the app. I included a screenshot of the problem. Let me know what I can do. Tnx :)

image.png.c33fad6d66079f4f66e2ceb66f8dce22.png

4 hours ago, VexilDOOM said:

Hello! I was just using Doom Launcher and wanted to add a mod in my list and when I did, it started to give me this message that says "There is an error: Out of Memory" and I am confused because I have memory on both my storage in my Laptop. It was sudden and I am not sure what to do. It also removed all the tags that I gave to the files I added. And now I cannot use the app. I included a screenshot of the problem. Let me know what I can do. Tnx :)

image.png.c33fad6d66079f4f66e2ceb66f8dce22.png

What is your system specs and how much memory does Doom Launcher use when you first open it?

Is this with a specific mod or is it when you add any file to Doom Launcher?

Doom Launcher 3.7.5

Spoiler

Fixed some paging issues.
Fixed save file handling issues for GZDoom when using nested folders.
Copy save files is now defaulted to off. (Will not change existing configurations).
Added support for hours being written to levelstat.txt for Woof.
Added error checks for when download fails to show more useful error messages instead of crashing.
Fixed problem with idgames api downloading filenames less than 3 in length.
Fixed crashes from invalid image files that would show out of memory exception.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:30 AM, hobomaster22 said:

What is your system specs and how much memory does Doom Launcher use when you first open it?

Is this with a specific mod or is it when you add any file to Doom Launcher?

So I have Nvidia GTX 1060, Intel core i7 and 16 GB RAM. When I open Doom Launcher, It will use 27.6 to 28.4 MB of memory, and It basically every time I open it, it shows me this message, but I can still play WADs, but every time I go to another category(e.g. going from IWADs to Untagged) it always shows me this message.

2 hours ago, VexilDOOM said:

So I have Nvidia GTX 1060, Intel core i7 and 16 GB RAM. When I open Doom Launcher, It will use 27.6 to 28.4 MB of memory, and It basically every time I open it, it shows me this message, but I can still play WADs, but every time I go to another category(e.g. going from IWADs to Untagged) it always shows me this message.

This bug was fixed in the release I just posted. Did you update?

On 2/26/2024 at 4:58 AM, hobomaster22 said:

This bug was fixed in the release I just posted. Did you update?

YES! Thank you!

Finally got around to using this!

It's phenomenal - easy to understand, even without the help document.

The GUI is great too, I love the dark theme, and love that this scrapes TITLEPICs - it's quite nicer to look at then some of the alternatives out there.

I still use ZDL for some stuff, but this is going to be my primary launcher going forward.

Just wanted to pay a compliment! Great stuff!

Since I just started using this I may as well ask: Is there a way for me to back up my entire "library"? I have gone the "unmanaged" route because I don't need to have the files present in two separate locations. My pwads, mods, etc. all reside in a fixed location, but I am not sure how to back up things such as savegames, play times, statistics, custom added metadata such as descriptions, comments, etc. I'd really like to figure this out before getting too far into it.

It would be super neat-o if there was a way to export / import existing catalogues. It looks like I may be able to accomplish this by copying some files from the "GameFiles" folder, but then there's also another folder called "Backup" containing some sqlite files, hinting that there may be an internal database present which may not get backed up properly by just copying over files. I can also not find the file which contains my statistics, so that info is probably residing in the aforementioned database.

What's the proper / intended procedure for backing up (and restoring) of one's catalogue?

Also, a huge thanks for making this tool, the automatic retrieval of metadata from idgames is super slick, I love it. Can the program (automatically) import information from an archives text file if it doesn't find any match in the idgames database? Seems like the next logical thing to fall back to if there's no match in the idgames database and there is a text file present in the archive.

2 hours ago, ObserverOfTime said:

Since I just started using this I may as well ask: Is there a way for me to back up my entire "library"? I have gone the "unmanaged" route because I don't need to have the files present in two separate locations. My pwads, mods, etc. all reside in a fixed location, but I am not sure how to back up things such as savegames, play times, statistics, custom added metadata such as descriptions, comments, etc. I'd really like to figure this out before getting too far into it.

It would be super neat-o if there was a way to export / import existing catalogues. It looks like I may be able to accomplish this by copying some files from the "GameFiles" folder, but then there's also another folder called "Backup" containing some sqlite files, hinting that there may be an internal database present which may not get backed up properly by just copying over files. I can also not find the file which contains my statistics, so that info is probably residing in the aforementioned database.

What's the proper / intended procedure for backing up (and restoring) of one's catalogue?

Also, a huge thanks for making this tool, the automatic retrieval of metadata from idgames is super slick, I love it. Can the program (automatically) import information from an archives text file if it doesn't find any match in the idgames database? Seems like the next logical thing to fall back to if there's no match in the idgames database and there is a text file present in the archive.

The DoomLauncher.sqlite file in the database that contains everything. It also contains filenames to link to screenshots, savegames and demos. Those are in the subfolders of the GameFiles directory. In your case backing up DoomLauncher.sqlite and GameFiles would be everything you need to restore later, minus the actual unmanaged files. Would probably be easiest just copy the entire DoomLauncher folder since you are using unmanaged files anyway.

As for the archive with a text file, if you manually add any zip file with a text file using the idgames format then it will automatically import.

2 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

<words>

Amazing, thanks for the info. As long as I put everything back in the same place at the same path, this seems to work just fine. Now I can go ahead and add all of the missing metadata / screenshots / whatever and not worry about having to redo everything when I wipe my system. Cool!

As for the text file in the archive, you are right it does that, I haven't even noticed haha.

Hey there Hobomaster!  A few things I'd like to see improved if you don't mind; none of these are deal-breakers for me, and I know you're busy with a bunch of other projects, so please consider these low priority.

Import of dates: I think about 4 out of 5 mods that I import that appear to have properly formatted text files fail to import any date information.  I get mod names, authors, description, but dates are typically missed.  For those items in the idgames archive, they do have dates populated.  Usually, I add the dates in by hand and move on, but I am thinking there is room for improvement here.  I suspect (although I haven't discussed with anyone) that I can't be the only one that this issue affects.  So if you have time to look into improving this, that would be awesome.

MM/dd/YYYY dates vs dd/MM/yyyy dates import: I find that when dates are formatted dd first, and there is ambiguity (i.e. the day is <=12) that I end up with swapped month and day values.  Not sure whether there is anything that can be done about this, as I don't know of any kind of region/country designation, but it's another low priority issue I have noticed over time.  

Finally, (and I am kind of embarrassed asking for this), I haven't updated to the newer versions of DL since the last version before the implementation of dark/light modes (3.6.5.0) because I'm a light mode user and the light mode now feels entirely too gray.  The older version had white areas in the "content window areas (i.e. wad listings, statistics, etc.), with black background around the individual wad screenshot window. This helped break things up visually from the application frame and borders which are all gray.  Since the dark/light mode implementation, all of these areas are now gray as well and it just doesn't feel quite right to my eyes.  I'm adding some images below to illustrate what I'm talking about.  Anyway, if you find yourself sitting around with nothing better to do, and you agree that making similar changes would improve the appearance of the app, I'd be extremely appreciative.

As always, thanks for your ongoing work on this tool that has become so integral to my Dooming experience.

2019688561_v_3.6.5.0-DoomLauncher.jpg.b711a7c7d23a05d32f6b82d1dfb8314f.jpg2017418846_v_3.7.5.0-DoomLauncher.jpg.47591ed5ce04651f2630e2210e200592.jpg

13 hours ago, DrR0Ck said:

Hey there Hobomaster!  A few things I'd like to see improved if you don't mind; none of these are deal-breakers for me, and I know you're busy with a bunch of other projects, so please consider these low priority.

Import of dates: I think about 4 out of 5 mods that I import that appear to have properly formatted text files fail to import any date information.  I get mod names, authors, description, but dates are typically missed.  For those items in the idgames archive, they do have dates populated.  Usually, I add the dates in by hand and move on, but I am thinking there is room for improvement here.  I suspect (although I haven't discussed with anyone) that I can't be the only one that this issue affects.  So if you have time to look into improving this, that would be awesome. 

MM/dd/YYYY dates vs dd/MM/yyyy dates import: I find that when dates are formatted dd first, and there is ambiguity (i.e. the day is <=12) that I end up with swapped month and day values.  Not sure whether there is anything that can be done about this, as I don't know of any kind of region/country designation, but it's another low priority issue I have noticed over time.  

Finally, (and I am kind of embarrassed asking for this), I haven't updated to the newer versions of DL since the last version before the implementation of dark/light modes (3.6.5.0) because I'm a light mode user and the light mode now feels entirely too gray.  The older version had white areas in the "content window areas (i.e. wad listings, statistics, etc.), with black background around the individual wad screenshot window. This helped break things up visually from the application frame and borders which are all gray.  Since the dark/light mode implementation, all of these areas are now gray as well and it just doesn't feel quite right to my eyes.  I'm adding some images below to illustrate what I'm talking about.  Anyway, if you find yourself sitting around with nothing better to do, and you agree that making similar changes would improve the appearance of the app, I'd be extremely appreciative.

As always, thanks for your ongoing work on this tool that has become so integral to my Dooming experience.

If you have some examples of dates that look legitimate and fail to parse I can add them in. Not sure what can be done about parsing MM/dd vs dd/MM dates in text files. User entered values from their culture makes this ambiguous and it has no way of knowing whether 4/3/23 means April 3rd or March 4th.

I put in some changes to make the light theme look more like the original. You can check it out here:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/hobomaster22/doomlauncher/builds/49538090

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 10:19 AM, hobomaster22 said:

If you have some examples of dates that look legitimate and fail to parse I can add them in. Not sure what can be done about parsing MM/dd vs dd/MM dates in text files. User entered values from their culture makes this ambiguous and it has no way of knowing whether 4/3/23 means April 3rd or March 4th.

I put in some changes to make the light theme look more like the original. You can check it out here:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/hobomaster22/doomlauncher/builds/49538090

You just made my day. Thank you SO very much!  

I'll drop examples of dates that fail to populate as I come across them.

EDIT: I've added a bunch of items recently and I may have been mistaken on this; there may just be a majority of text files missing th date.  will continue to monitor.

Edited by DrR0Ck

Here's a legit potential bug: DL recently started supporting containers besides ZIP files; i.e. RAR, 7z (I think), etc.  I've imported a couple .RAR archives and they launch  as they should. but the "Open ZIP file" dialog from a file listing does not open these files. 

11 hours ago, DrR0Ck said:

Here's a legit potential bug: DL recently started supporting containers besides ZIP files; i.e. RAR, 7z (I think), etc.  I've imported a couple .RAR archives and they launch  as they should. but the "Open ZIP file" dialog from a file listing does not open these files.  

Looks like this didn't get updated when dealing with unmanaged 7zip and rar files. I will have it fixed for the next release.