Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Doom Launcher - Doom frontend & database v3.7.4 (12/2023)

Hi there,

Can you further explain what changing it to /idgames means? I'm currently not seeing a problem on my end. I've tried a couple different mirrors (which you can change in the settings).

Doom Launcher doesn't support changing the load order of files inside a zip. I'm guessing you are trying to load something between Ashes2063Maps.wad and Ashes2063Mod.pk3. Your best option would be to extract those files out of the zip and add them to Doom Launcher so they are separate files, then you can control the load order.

by /idgames i mean the tab in the launcher.

As for what i mean.

Doomworld.com/idgames is a legacy location

Doomworld.com/files is the new location for mods.

Does your launcher support the new Doomworld.com/files location? because i couldn't find a way to get it to work.

It pulls up doomworld.com/idgames just fine but it only lists like 30 mods.

Also thank you for the reply.

I will rearrange my mods then to make that easier.

I understand now. As far as I know there is no API implemented to access the data through the new downloads page. Until there is some sort of API Doom Launcher will be stuck using the legacy idgames database.

Thank you for the timely responses.

with a slight change in thinking i've managed to get it working great for me.

is there a way to sort on Untagged?  I have a lot of wads and often forget something about them - I download and don't categorize immediately and have to open that archive or run it again to remember?  It would great to be able to see untagged anyway.  Maybe a column that just has a check for "Tagged" and if you hover you see what they are?

BUMP?  seems like this would be a pretty common thing to do for people using a db to manage a ton o' wads.

Edited by akidd

Is there any way to read the wad files for a TITLEPIC lump and display it automatically on the right while browsing through files to play?

EDIT: Like this?

Spoiler

Querrvm.png

On 2/13/2019 at 4:40 PM, lumbo7332 said:

What is the 'GameWads' folder for? Nothing ever gets put in there.

It was used at one point, now it's no longer used.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:22 PM, Lila Feuer said:

Due to the strange way the Doomsday Engine works, does Doom Launcher support it?

Doomsday will not work because it doesn't support the basic parameters that every other source port follows. It's main problem is the way you tell it to load iwads which requires special programming for this one port. Could be done in the future if people wanted it.

New version 2.6.4.0:

https://github.com/hobomaster22/DoomLauncher/releases/tag/2.6.4.0

Features/Enhancements
Auto complete combo boxes in launch form for source ports, iwads, maps, and demos.
Automatically read name from saves. The name will show as the name the user entered instead of the file name for zds and dsg files.
Feature to copy file data from another file (title, description, author, etc)
Upgraded edit form to use rich text boxes for so that link urls will be styled and clickable.
Added 'Create Zip from Directory' function. This allows users to repackage zip archives Doom Launcher cannot read.

Bug Fixes
Fixed issue that would cause only files from the first added archive to be selected.
Fixed issue that caused the launcher not to properly store individual files that were in nested folders.
Fix so that a search will stay applied after a file is deleted.
Fix for finding map string names across multiple files in an archive.
Fix for crash when deleting many records at once.
Fix for individual files not selecting when selecting a demo.

New version 2.6.5.0:

https://github.com/hobomaster22/DoomLauncher/releases/tag/2.6.5.0

Doomsday support
Chocolate Doom / Crispy Doom statistics
Screen filter option to simulate CRT/scanlines
Added option to delete files and statistics when deleting a source port
Added a screenshot viewer to cycle through all images of a wad
Summary will not duplicate stats for the same map
Summary will display days, hours, minutes, last map played, and a stat bar for map progress
Added an Untagged tab for viewing all files that are not tagged
Fixed Boom statistics issue when Save Statistics was selected and extra parameters were added
Prevent row height from being modified
CNDoom statistics fix when kills are over 100%
When deleting a source port individual statistics will show in the statistics tab
Fix for buttons being enabled when no file is selected causing a crash

I have a quick question and I thought here was the best place to ask such.

I was attempting to launch a .ZDL from my ZDL Folder to DoomLauncher, at first it said some Ports were missing, so renaming one of my Source Ports to "GZDoom 2019 I" worked, the same happened with the IWAD so I just chose another IWAD with no name (Doom II),  saved the .ZDL and sent it to DoomLauncher.

Now, how can I launch this ZDL like a .ZIP? Or does it just send all the WADs individually? Because in that case it would make no sense exporting a .ZDL file when you can just send a .ZIP.

The thing with this, however, is that nor the .ZIP or .ZDL are sent like they should, in the case of the first the WADs are sent in an random order and therefore when attempting to play it doesn't work as intended.

(In my case, Project Brutality + EDay + A lot of Addons, the first two don't load, just loading Vanilla Doom II?)

Sorry for the trouble there, didn't find this on the Help document. 

Adding a ZDL file will import the files and settings into Doom Launcher, basically translating it to how Doom Launcher handles file launching. ZDL files basically look like this:

[zdl.save]
port=gzdoom
iwad=C:/ZDL/DOOM2.WAD
extra=extra
file0=C:/ZDL/file1.wad
file1=C:/ZDL/file2.wad
skill=4
warp=MAP01
[zdl.general]

Doom Launcher will import file1.wad and file2.wad compressed as zip files. Then file2 will be added as an additional file to file1. If you open file1 in Doom Launcher all the other files should be linked to it in the same order in the zdl file (Additional Files/Load Order). And in this example have DOOM2, skill 4, and MAP01 selected.

6 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

Is there an instruction manual on how to install this launcher on Linux?

Doom Launcher is only for Windows, according to the R667 site.

2 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

So that means there is no possible way to install this on Linux?

I do not understand how you could interpret "Is only for Windows" to "So there is no way to install this on Linux?"

But, you could technically try installing it through WINE. You have to figure that out for yourself.

And if that does not help, then there are Linux native launchers available.

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I do not understand how you could interpret "Is only for Windows" to "So there is no way to install this on Linux?" 

It was not necessary to be rude, dude. I had asked because I already knew about the existence of WINE; that was the reason for my question.

But, you could technically try installing it through WINE. You have to figure that out for yourself. 

I don't want you to waste my time again with bad answers.

And if that does not help, then there are Linux native launchers available.

I am sorry if I am rude but, do you have something that is not more than two years old?

4 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

It was not necessary to be rude, dude. I had asked because I already knew about the existence of WINE; that was the reason for my question.

Relax, i was not trying to be rude. I was geniunely surprised how a clear cut answer yielded such a response.

Obviously i can't look inside your head and detect that you knew about WINE.

4 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

I am sorry if I am rude but, do you have something that is not more than two years old?

Are you only looking at the time stamp of that Reddit topic?

Qbasicer's ZDL had an update on January 14th, as linked in the Reddit topic. Its latest release however was in 2013.  I also forgot to mention that multiple versions of ZDL exist. LCFerrum's version is the latest one (May 2019) and it includes a Linux build. Here is the link.

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Relax, i was not trying to be rude. I was geniunely surprised how a clear cut answer yielded such a response.

Obviously i can't look inside your head and detect that you knew about WINE.

On the Internet it is difficult to know that kind of thing; I apologize if I bothered about that.

Are you only looking at the time stamp of that Reddit topic?

I followed the link you had put in that comment, so I don't know what you want me to see exactly.

Qbasicer's ZDL had an update on January 14th, as linked in the Reddit topic. Its latest release however was in 2013.  I also forgot to mention that multiple versions of ZDL exist. LCFerrum's version is the latest one (May 2019) and it includes a Linux build. Here is the link.

I had already seen several times, is there any way to get a manual on how to install that launcher?

8 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

I followed the link you had put in that comment, so I don't know what you want me to see exactly.

When sort by best (Which is Reddit's default) its the very first comment.

Do note that this links to Qbasicer's version of ZDL. The version that is most up to date, is from LCFerrum. This is the version i will refer to when installing the launcher on Linux.

I had already seen several times,

This is rather odd to say, as it links to LCFerrum's launcher (Which is different from Qbasicers) and it has a Linux build whereas your original question was if Doom Launcher could be installed to Linux.

Which Linux distribution are you running, by the way? Ubuntu? Debian?

is there any way to get a manual on how to install that launcher?

1. Download ZDL_3-1.1_Linux_x64.tar.gz from the Releases page. I assume here that you have a 64 bit computer as most computers do these days
  2. Extract this to a new folder (Call it ZDL, for instance). Its a portable executable: It should run as is
  3. From there, follow section 4: Installation and usage of the README on how to set ZDL up with IWADS

Alternatively, these steps (How to set ZDL up) are found below. Do note that i copied this from here, which assumes QBasicer's ZDL version ran under Windows. You do not use that version, as you run Linux and LCFerrum's ZDL version. What follows are simply the steps that happen in ZDL, which should be universal across all platforms. I have modified these steps to be more generic as the original assumes GZDoom is installed. I assume that when you read from here, you have downloaded ZDL, extracted it, and it is running.

1. Click on the Settings tab
  2. Under the Source Ports/Engines section, click the Add button and then browse for the exectuable file of the source port you want to run
  3. Under the IWADs section, click the Add button and then browse for your IWAD files (Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, Plutonia.wad, etc.)
  4. Click on the Main tab
  5. Under the External Files section, click the Add button and then browse for any files you want to use when the source port of choice is ran
  6. Select which IWAD you want to play and then click on the Launch button

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

When sort by best (Which is Reddit's default) its the very first comment.

Do note that this links to Qbasicer's version of ZDL. The version that is most up to date, is from LCFerrum. This is the version i will refer to when installing the launcher on Linux.

I had seen that too many times and it is not useful because it doesn't say how to install it. Do you have any instruction manual or something that says how to install that program?

This is rather odd to say, as it links to LCFerrum's launcher (Which is different from Qbasicers) and it has a Linux build whereas your original question was if Doom Launcher could be installed to Linux.

Which Linux distribution are you running, by the way? Ubuntu? Debian?

The distribution I use is Linux Mint 19.2 .

• Download ZDL_3-1.1_Linux_x64.tar.gz from the Releases page. I assume here that you have a 64 bit computer as most computers do these days
  • Extract this to a new folder (Call it ZDL, for instance). Its a portable executable: It should run as is
  • From there, follow section 4: Installation and usage of the README on how to set ZDL up with IWADS

On several occasions I had done step 1 and 2, except for step 3. The reason I had not passed from step 3 is because there is no instruction manual. Again, do you have an instruction manual or something useful?

Alternatively, these steps (How to set ZDL up) are found below. Do note that i copied this from here, which assumes QBasicer's ZDL version ran under Windows. You do not use that version, as you run Linux and LCFerrum's ZDL version. What follows are simply the steps that happen in ZDL, which should be universal across all platforms. I have modified these steps to be more generic as the original assumes GZDoom is installed. I assume that when you read from here, you have downloaded ZDL, extracted it, and it is running.

1. Click on the Settings tab
  2. Under the Source Ports/Engines section, click the Add button and then browse for the exectuable file of the source port you want to run
  3. Under the IWADs section, click the Add button and then browse for your IWAD files (Doom.wad, Doom2.wad, Plutonia.wad, etc.)
  4. Click on the Main tab
  5. Under the External Files section, click the Add button and then browse for any files you want to use when the source port of choice is ran
  6. Select which IWAD you want to play and then click on the Launch button

I have ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Odamex and PrBoom+ installed. That information doesn't help me if I can't use mods in the first place.

3 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

I had seen that too many times and it is not useful because it doesn't say how to install it. Do you have any instruction manual or something that says how to install that program?

This is very peculiar. At this point, i have to ask: What is your knowledge regarding installing things on Linux? Do you have more issues when ''Installing''? Because you aren't technically installing ZDL - its a self-contained exectuable.

Because all the instruction says is essentially:

• Extract ZDL to a new Folder.
  • Run ZDL.

The path to the folder is however different in both Windows and Linux. Do you have troubles locating the exact path of your folder? I have to ask this.

I didn't link to other sources that i found previously (but ill link them at the bottom this time around) because they assume older ZDL versions and GZDoom to be run.

The distribution I use is Linux Mint 19.2 .

Thank you.

On several occasions I had done step 1 and 2, except for step 3.

So, to clarify:

• You were able to download a package of ZDL.
  • You were able to extract this to a new folder.

So the issue is: How do i set ZDL up with my ports and WADS. Correct?

The reason I had not passed from step 3 is because there is no instruction manual.

This is the one part of your response i geniunely have troubles comprehending and i think it revolves around your usage of the term instruction manual.

When i linked that README, it literally says in 4 steps how to configure ZDL. As it does seem that you were able to download a ZDL package and extract it to a folder, you should be able to have ZDL open. Correct?

This is the direct text from the README after ZDL has been extracted and is opened:

''1) Switch to the second tab and add IWADs and source ports

a) Drag and drop IWAD files to IWAD list

b) Drag and drop source port executables to source port list

2) Switch to the first tab and configure launch options

a) Select source port from source port drop-down list

b) Select IWAD from the IWAD list

c) If necessary, add any additional files (PWADs, configs, patches) by

dragging and dropping them to external file list

3) Click 'Launch' button to launch source port using current configuration

4) ZDL automatically saves IWADs and source ports lists and, by default,

also remembers launch configuration''

Where on these above 4 steps (and metasteps) are you ending up saying ''There is no instruction manual''?  Because that's the literal instruction from the Github page.

Again, do you have an instruction manual or something useful?

This depends on what you seem to mean with the term ''instruction manual''. The above italic instruction is what comes with the program.

I get the impression that by instruction manual, you refer to an actual booklet (or PDF), full of pictures that detail what each option does. This does not exist on the linked Github page.

There is, however, a visual installation method, but it assumes that you are on Windows, and running an older ZDL version. Because paths on Windows differ from Linux, you have to adjust this method to Linux - Which is why i didn't link to it before.

This post describes an installation of GZDoom and ZDL on Linux, but its on Arch Linux. I am going to cite in italic the relevant bit, because it includes an example of how a folder path looks like.

''4) Install zdl 3.2.2.3 beta from AUR (or use pacaur -S zdl OR yaourt zdl)

5) Copy gzdoom.pk3, brightmaps.pk3 & lights.pk3 from this Windows ZIP into /usr/share/games/gzdoom/ and replace the old ones. Requires root priviledges.

6) Start ZDL and set up the settings. Source Port for GZDoom executable is located at /usr/bin/gzdoom. Set up your iWAD files and multiplayer settings (external files, internet port, game mode etc.). iWAD files are the main WAD files you want to play. External files are mod files, run within the main WAD you've selected.''

I have ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Odamex and PrBoom+ installed. That information doesn't help me if I can't use mods in the first place.

You can't use mods if you have not added the exectuables of the source ports that you want to use. So the first thing to add is all those installed source ports as seperate engines. From there on out you can continue, because under External Files you can add all the mods you want to run with the specific port of choice. Say brutaldoom. You can then add its PK3 there (in the External Files tab) and associate it with say, GZDoom as its engine.

Edited by Redneckerz

44 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

This is very peculiar. At this point, i have to ask: What is your knowledge regarding installing things on Linux? Do you have more issues when ''Installing''? Because you aren't technically installing ZDL - its a self-contained exectuable.

I have the latest version of QT 5 installed, as well as QT 5 Creator on my PC. I mention it because that was one of the programs that I had to have installed to run ZDL, which was mentioned in the text file known as README.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Because all the instruction says is essentially:

• Extract ZDL to a new Folder.
  • Run ZDL.

The path to the folder is however different in both Windows and Linux. Do you have troubles locating the exact path of your folder? I have to ask this.

I didn't link to other sources that i found previously (but ill link them at the bottom this time around) because they assume older ZDL versions and GZDoom to be run.

The problem I was talking about before had to do with what you had mentioned in that fragment that you had written. Practically, there were no instructions on how to install such a program in the first place.

So, to clarify:

• You were able to download a package of ZDL.
  • You were able to extract this to a new folder.

So the issue is: How do i set ZDL up with my ports and WADS. Correct?

Yes and yes. Regarding the latter, how to configure ZDL is secondary because I don't even know how to get a manual on how to install it in the first place.

This is the one part of your response i geniunely have troubles comprehending and i think it revolves around your usage of the term instruction manual.

When i linked that README, it literally says in 4 steps how to configure ZDL. As it does seem that you were able to download a ZDL package and extract it to a folder, you should be able to have ZDL open. Correct?

This is the direct text from the README after ZDL has been extracted and is opened:

''1) Switch to the second tab and add IWADs and source ports

a) Drag and drop IWAD files to IWAD list

b) Drag and drop source port executables to source port list

2) Switch to the first tab and configure launch options

a) Select source port from source port drop-down list

b) Select IWAD from the IWAD list

c) If necessary, add any additional files (PWADs, configs, patches) by

dragging and dropping them to external file list

3) Click 'Launch' button to launch source port using current configuration

4) ZDL automatically saves IWADs and source ports lists and, by default,

also remembers launch configuration''

Where on these above 4 steps (and metasteps) are you ending up saying ''There is no instruction manual''?  Because that's the literal instruction from the Github page.

Dude, I think you have a problem understanding something so simple when it shouldn't be in the first place. Configure something isn't the same as installing it, do you understand what I mean? How do I install ZDL in Linux Mint? INSTALL; NOT configure.

This depends on what you seem to mean with the term ''instruction manual''. The above italic instruction is what comes with the program.

I get the impression that by instruction manual, you refer to an actual booklet (or PDF), full of pictures that detail what each option does. This does not exist on the linked Github page.

I have no problem following instruction manuals that are only written as long as they really work.

There is, however, a visual installation method, but it assumes that you are on Windows, and running an older ZDL version. Because paths on Windows differ from Linux, you have to adjust this method to Linux - Which is why i didn't link to it before.

Linux and Windows are two very different operating systems from each other; I need something else just that or it won't work.

This post describes an installation of GZDoom and ZDL on Linux, but its on Arch Linux. I am going to cite in italic the relevant bit, because it includes an example of how a folder path looks like.

If it has nothing to do with Ubuntu or Linux Mint, it means it doesn't work for me, do you have anything else?

''4) Install zdl 3.2.2.3 beta from AUR (or use pacaur -S zdl OR yaourt zdl)

5) Copy gzdoom.pk3, brightmaps.pk3 & lights.pk3 from this Windows ZIP into /usr/share/games/gzdoom/ and replace the old ones. Requires root priviledges.

6) Start ZDL and set up the settings. Source Port for GZDoom executable is located at /usr/bin/gzdoom. Set up your iWAD files and multiplayer settings (external files, internet port, game mode etc.). iWAD files are the main WAD files you want to play. External files are mod files, run within the main WAD you've selected.''

If that doesn't have to do with how to install that program in the first place, I am not interested.

You can't use mods if you have not added the exectuables of the source ports that you want to use. So the first thing to add is all those installed source ports as  seperate engines From there on out you can continue, because under External Files you can add all the mods you want to run with the specific port of choice. Say brutaldoom. You can then add its PK3 there (in the External Files tab) and associate it with say, GZDoom as its engine.

If you are going to waste my time with all that with NOT giving me an answer to my problem, it will be that this conversation ends in a good time.