Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Doom Launcher - Doom frontend & database v3.7.4 (12/2023)

13 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

I have the latest version of QT 5 installed, as well as QT 5 Creator on my PC. I mention it because that was one of the programs that I had to have installed to run ZDL, which was mentioned in the text file known as README.

ZDL does require dependencies - Such as QT, so that's right. Doom Launcher, similarly, requires .NET to be installed (on Windows). Ofcourse, the latter is irrelevant (Before you call me out again to state why i am mentioning this).

The problem I was talking about before had to do with what you had mentioned in that fragment that you had written. Practically, there were no instructions on how to install such a program in the first place.

You aren't installing ZDL. As said before - Its a self-contained executable. You keep on reverting back to this when even the readme itself clearly states that it does not require installation - Simply extract, and run. It does not have an installer.

What you call installing, is in this case extracting the tar.gz to a new folder, and then running the executable found in that folder. That's the whole installing part right there.

PS: Read the EDIT part at the bottom of this post and ignore the crossed out stuff.

Configuring ZDL means that the program is already on-screen.

Yes and yes. Regarding the latter, how to configure ZDL is secondary because I don't even know how to get a manual on how to install it in the first place.

You do not need to install ZDL. But since this is going over your head i am just going to answer your original question: No, no instruction manual exists.

Dude, I think you have a problem understanding something so simple when it shouldn't be in the first place.

Be glad that you get any assistance to this, even to those things most would find obvious. That i do not chastize you for it up to now is because im trying to emphatize with your situation. Your spoiled and downright snotty attitude however makes this an increasingly difficult task. You tell me i have a problem understanding, but i can't even rely on you understanding the difference between basic terminology as Installing and Configuring.

You are not working with me but against me, taking up a stance of pure stubborness. You tell me im rude? the last 3 posts contain several bratty snides with your name on it.

Configure something isn't the same as installing it, do you understand what I mean? How do I install ZDL in Linux Mint? INSTALL; NOT configure.

Again, you have a warped idea of installing - Even the readme says it very clearly: Extract the tar.gz and then run the executable - You aren't installing anything. For some inane reason, you expect that you need to install something despite me and the README clearly telling you otherwise.

Linux and Windows are two very different operating systems from each other; I need something else just that or it won't work.

If it has nothing to do with Ubuntu or Linux Mint, it means it doesn't work for me, do you have anything else?

I do expect that you actually read why something was added. Instead, you jump to the last sentence and call it a day. No wonder that troubles arise even understanding singular sentences: You aren't learning, you just want answers. And when it is given, you do not read it, because (ideally) you want a simple link or yes/no response.

If that doesn't have to do with how to install that program in the first place, I am not interested.

It is not my problem that your level of reading comprehension is such that all you fixate on is ''installing'' a program that does not require it and can't seem to understand why these texts are added - despite clearly stating why that is. That is a you problem and not mines.

If you are going to waste my time with all that with NOT giving me an answer to my problem, it will be that this conversation ends in a good time.

Perhaps you should stop acting like a brat with a superiority complex. The fact that you think i am wasting your time when in fact, i am detailing you why things happen as they happen is precisely what's the issue here: You aren't reading what is said, simply assume it has nothing to do with your situation, thus i am wasting your time.

What i find far more reprehensible is that you are assuming that my intent is done with ill-will and bad faith. I have nothing to gain by trolling you, so why assume that i am? You seem to expect the answer to be given on a golden platter - with manual and installation.

But when i and the README tell you that neither of those exist around your warped definitions of these words, you backpedal and simply repeat the same thing - You need to install ZDL, and you need an instruction manual to do it. Even when those do not exist.

You are on your own now. Good luck configuring ZDL - Its one thing to be unknowing, but its another to be and unknowing and stubborn. If you know it well enough that you need to be this intrusive and negative to me, then i expect you have no issues fixing this yourself.

EDIT: I just had a epiphany as to why you keep on mentioning installing - And then i realized that tar files are like ZIP archives, but they do require some form of installing. Ofcourse, i do not use Linux, so i (wrongfully) assumed that, given tar files are like archives, you simply extract and open - As you do on Windows. But a tar file does not work that way. Obviously you keep on mentioning the same word, because it makes sense in the Linux world. Thus you do not feel compelled (or even understand that) to mention how tar files work. In this case, i was unknowing, but i am learning. Shamefully so because i worked with Linux in the remote past. Sadly not everything you do is always remembered. Apologies for the crossed-out stuff above, they show the error of my ways and as such i leave them in the open, for transparency sakes.

The rest however, predominantly around your own attitude, still applies however.

Since Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, there is a general universal method for installing:

It is wise to navigate to the downloaded .tar.bz folder and open and read the README file. It normally has the installation instructions. If not, you can install .tar.gz or (.tar.bz2) file via Terminal.

• Download the desired .tar.gz or (.tar.bz2) file
  • Open Terminal
  • Extract the .tar.gz or (.tar.bz2) file with the following commands
  • tar xvzf PACKAGENAME.tar.gz
  • tar xvjf PACKAGENAME.tar.bz2
  • Navigate to the extracted folder using cd command
  • cd PACKAGENAME
  • Now run the following command to install the tarball:

• /configure
  • make
  • sudo make install
Edited by Redneckerz : I mistakingly assumed things.

30 minutes ago, DiamondDude11 said:

So, a few questions...
Is it compatible with GZDoom?
And do you just put the IWAD and WAD/pk3 into a .zip format?

Yes, and Yes. In fact, Doom Launcher converts them (WAD/PK3) automatically to a zip file, so that they show up in the menu. You can then add them to the WAD of choice.

Not sure about IWADS however.

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

ZDL does require dependencies - Such as QT, so that's right. Doom Launcher, similarly, requires .NET to be installed (on Windows). Ofcourse, the latter is irrelevant (Before you call me out again to state why i am mentioning this).

Yep.

You aren't installing ZDL. As said before - Its a self-contained executable. You keep on reverting back to this when even the readme itself clearly states that it does not require installation - Simply extract, and run. It does not have an installer.

What you call installing, is in this case extracting the tar.gz to a new folder, and then running the executable found in that folder. That's the whole installing part right there.

PS: Read the EDIT part at the bottom of this post and ignore the crossed out stuff.

OK

You do not need to install ZDL. But since this is going over your head i am just going to answer your original question: No, no instruction manual exists.

I was wondering when you were going to get the message.

Be glad that you get any assistance to this, even to those things most would find obvious. That i do not chastize you for it up to now is because im trying to emphatize with your situation. Your spoiled and downright snotty attitude however makes this an increasingly difficult task. You tell me i have a problem understanding, but i can't even rely on you understanding the difference between basic terminology as Installing and Configuring.

Putting links from several years ago to posts on how to install programs not explaining the part of the compilation that bothers Linux users in general?

However, for you to see that I have no problems with that because more than you have given incorrect answers, I will give you several examples of why what you say does not work, in general. Don't get me wrong, I finally figured out how to run the application but that was by accident, not because you gave me ALL the information I needed.

But I'm going to tell you what your mistakes were when you tried to help me in the form of rules (recommendations), which anyone should consider regardless of who gives the information, to help whoever asks for it:

1- Never give information in response to a question that is not related to a certain doubt unless the person requesting that information has asked for it in the first place.
2- Never assume that other people know what one might come to know in the first place; treat him/her like someone who is not informed about it even if she could get to know something about the topic being discussed.
3- Never omit information that could be relevant to the person asking for help regarding a particular problem, even if one could consider it as irrelevant and / or secondary.

So I'm going to start by saying how I solved the problem regarding running the application first. The link to the ZDL file that you gave me, practically, was the same one that I had downloaded a while ago and doesn't have additional files that could be important nor the icons that one needs to create the launcher towards that application (in the case that one wants to do that last one).

And here comes the bad of all this because the file known as README doesn't say, almost, nothing about how to get QT 5 and QT 5 Creator in the first place, how the link to the page on which it is located, how to install it from the terminal, or something that asked to be important regarding the installation. But wait, there are still more to talk about, do you want to know what is worse than what was said before? The file known as README says that one can compile the program so that it can be installed on the computer but, here is the trap of all this, it never says how to compile the program in the first place, at all. But wait, it is even worse than that, README never mentions which is the icon that allows you to run the application once you unzip the file in the folder that contains it (in this case the folder is called ZDL); nothing. The icon that allows to run the application has the tumbnail of a dark gray gear with a white square shaped background, the letter zdl is written in lowercase with no extension at the end...

I think I'm going to leave it here because I don't think it's necessary to explain where you failed when you tried to help me, which I appreciate anyway. But yes, what I would need to know is how to install such a program and would need to know all the information I need, which includes how to compile the program in the first place and that, in addition, it contains everything that is necessary to function: files, icons, etc.

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Perhaps you should stop acting like a brat with a superiority complex. The fact that you think i am wasting your time when in fact, i am detailing you why things happen as they happen is precisely what's the issue here: You aren't reading what is said, simply assume it has nothing to do with your situation, thus i am wasting your time.

I explained above that README mentions the compilation part, which is necessary to install the application regardless of whether one can run the application without having to do that in the first place. But here's the thing, dude, I want the program to be installed on my computer so that it appears on the menu like the rest of the programs I already have installed, such as GZDoom or Zandronum, for example. README mentions that this program could be compiled and you can do it yourself but it doesn't say how and never explains such a thing, ever.

What i find far more reprehensible is that you are assuming that my intent is done with ill-will and bad faith. I have nothing to gain by trolling you, so why assume that i am? You seem to expect the answer to be given on a golden platter - with manual and installation.

I never said you had bad intentions towards me; Not like that. I said that I don't like you wasting my time with information that is not useful; that's it. If you don't know how to compile ZDL to install it, or whatever it is, just say it and now, but the fact that you can't give me a clear answer and that you keep saying the same things over and over again is not helping me, at all.

You are on your own now. Good luck configuring ZDL - Its one thing to be unknowing, but its another to be and unknowing and stubborn. If you know it well enough that you need to be this intrusive and negative to me, then i expect you have no issues fixing this yourself.

The configuration part, I appreciate it because it is useful to me; it was the part of the installation through the compilation where the complicated thing is.

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

EDIT: I just had a epiphany as to why you keep on mentioning installing - And then i realized that tar files are like ZIP archives, but they do require some form of installing. Ofcourse, i do not use Linux, so i (wrongfully) assumed that, given tar files are like archives, you simply extract and open - As you do on Windows. But a tar file does not work that way. Obviously you keep on mentioning the same word, because it makes sense in the Linux world. Thus you do not feel compelled (or even understand that) to mention how tar files work. In this case, i was unknowing, but i am learning. Shamefully so because i worked with Linux in the remote past. Sadly not everything you do is always remembered. Apologies for the crossed-out stuff above, they show the error of my ways and as such i leave them in the open, for transparency sakes.

No problem. As I mentioned before, README says that one can compile the program but never says how to do it in the first place; that was what really bothered me about all this.

The rest however, predominantly around your own attitude, still applies however.

OK

Since Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, there is a general universal method for installing:

It is wise to navigate to the downloaded .tar.bz folder and open and read the README file. It normally has the installation instructions. If not, you can install .tar.gz or (.tar.bz2) file via Terminal.

• Download the desired .tar.gz or (.tar.bz2) file
  • Open Terminal
  • Extract the .tar.gz or (.tar.bz2) file with the following commands
  • tar xvzf PACKAGENAME.tar.gz
  • tar xvjf PACKAGENAME.tar.bz2
  • Navigate to the extracted folder using cd command
  • cd PACKAGENAME
  • Now run the following command to install the tarball:

• /configure
  • make
  • sudo make install

A while ago, when I was surfing the internet on how to install files with the extension .tar.gz and tar.bz2 and I had found that one too. Well, I will try again and see what happens.

3 hours ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

Yep.

Its good that you establish that indeed, you weren't going to connect the dots and attempt to understand why that was said.

I was wondering when you were going to get the message.

At the very least that realization setted in and consequently regretted the things said. That same realization has yet to set in for yourself, if you were, you wouldn't be taking this residency in the ivory tower so for granted as you are doing now.

Besides, you kept on referencing that you wanted an instruction manual - Without there ever existing one. So you seemingly expect something that isn't there, even with my errornous description regarding installing.

Putting links from several years ago to posts on how to install programs not explaining the part of the compilation that bothers Linux users in general?

I can excuse my errornous ways in the very least for not having worked with Linux in general for the past 5 years, so my knowledge regarding that was (admittely) rusty. However, since you admit being a Linux user yourself, you should know the whole installation/compilation part better than me, so colour me surprised that not only do you not know this, but you also ask questions that, as has been proven by my errornous way of handling, could easily be misconstrued.

However, for you to see that I have no problems with that because more than you have given incorrect answers, I will give you several examples of why what you say does not work, in general.

Yes, i sure need to know why what i said didn't work in general after i had said epiphany where, quite literally, it is admitted that what i said didn't work, in general.

It sure has nothing to do with you doing the same thing you throw me the book at for - repeating the same answer over and over and somehow expecting a difference. Where is your epiphany moment? It didn't happen.

But I'm going to tell you what your mistakes were when you tried to help me in the form of rules (recommendations), which anyone should consider regardless of who gives the information, to help whoever asks for it:

This is mighty rich coming from you given that you provided hardly any extra details beyond ''Is there an instruction manual?''  and ''How do you install this?''. Even with my flawed mode of operation, i (attempted atleast) to consider your position and went by with the general assertion that you could deduce things yourself and not take everything literally. But that's exactly what happened. You see a certain sentence, recognize its not literally what you are requesting, so its faulty.

3- Never omit information that could be relevant to the person asking for help regarding a particular problem, even if one could consider it as irrelevant and / or secondary.

Initially i wouldn't have omitted any information. I omitted it at first because it was only sparsingly related to your main question. It was only after your first few responses that signaled increased sensitivity from your end that i linked to the additional sources, not knowing back then that you would take them literally and thus denouncing them as irrelevant.

I think I'm going to leave it here because I don't think it's necessary to explain where you failed when you tried to help me, which I appreciate anyway.

Gee, its almost like i saw the error of my ways and made an edit at the bottom, and redirected you to it instead! And not only that, in order to prove credulence, that i also left the errornous words in instead of removing them which could be seen as an act of coward and refusal to admit one was wrong!

But here's the thing, dude, I want the program to be installed on my computer so that it appears on the menu like the rest of the programs I already have installed, such as GZDoom or Zandronum, for example. README mentions that this program could be compiled and you can do it yourself but it doesn't say how and never explains such a thing, ever.

Perhaps Linux is not the OS for you.

I never said you had bad intentions towards me; Not like that. I said that I don't like you wasting my time with information that is not useful; that's it.

I am so glad that you helped reduce my waste of time by providing more details on what you had found prior and what you have tried yourself so that this situation could have been avoided. But instead, you relied so heavily upon my relative in-experience with Linux that this was not an option for you.

If you don't know how to compile ZDL to install it, or whatever it is, just say it and now, but the fact that you can't give me a clear answer and that you keep saying the same things over and over again is not helping me, at all.

I do not know by default how to compile ZDL and install it, for the sole reason that i am not on Linux and relied on a general knowledge of things. Realizing my errors, i retracted these. As one would do when they realize a mistake.

A while ago, when I was surfing the internet on how to install files with the extension .tar.gz and tar.bz2 and I had found that one too. Well, I will try again and see what happens.

Ofcourse you found that before, and ofcourse it was a great virtue from your end to tell people this in advance so that they do not have to look for that in the first place. Except you didn't. A ''What did i do prior'' would have helped a lot but somehow, that never crossed your mind.

Edited by Redneckerz

46 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Its good that you establish that indeed, you weren't going to connect the dots and attempt to understand why that was said.

Technically, that's what I had told you before.

51 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

At the very least that realization setted in and consequently regretted the things said. That same realization has yet to set in for yourself, if you were, you wouldn't be taking this residency in the ivory tower so for granted as you are doing now.

Besides, you kept on referencing that you wanted an instruction manual - Without there ever existing one. So you seemingly expect something that isn't there, even with my errornous description regarding installing.

And your attitude is better than mine? Because it seems to me that your behaves like an jerk even if I had clarified from the first moment that I was using Linux, and you kept treating the matter as if it were something related to Windows. Who is the one who doesn't understand what, exactly?

52 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I can excuse my errornous ways in the very least for not having worked with Linux in general for the past 5 years, so my knowledge regarding that was (admittely) rusty. However, since you admit being a Linux user yourself, you should know the whole installation/compilation part better than me, so colour me surprised that not only do you not know this, but you also ask questions that, as has been proven by my errornous way of handling, could easily be misconstrued.

Everything that has to do with compiling a program on Linux varies based on the type of system, as well as the program itself. In other words, the instructions for everything that has to do with compilation will almost never be the same for other programs. And it doesn't help, that the instructions on how to install files with the extension .tar.gz and / or .tar.bz2 are 6, 7 or more years old.

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

Yes, i sure need to know why what i said didn't work in general after i had said epiphany where, quite literally, it is admitted that what i said didn't work, in general.

It sure has nothing to do with you doing the same thing you throw me the book at for - repeating the same answer over and over and somehow expect a difference. Where is your epiphany moment? It didn't happen.

That is why in one of the paragraphs I had written before in my previous response I had told you to ignore some things because when I had finished reading everything you had written, I had not reached the epiphany part yet.

This is mighty rich coming from you given that you provided hardly any extra details beyond ''Is there an instruction manual?''  and ''How do you install this?''. Even with my flawed mode of operation, i (attempted atleast) to consider your position and went by with the general assertion that you could deduce things yourself and not take everything literally. But that's exactly what happened. You see a certain sentence, recognize its not literally what you are requesting, so its faulty.

Not that was that you failed to recognize the origin of the problem itself; I explained that in more detail before, so I will not explain it again.

Initially i wouldn't have omitted any information. I omitted it at first because it was only sparsingly related to your main question. It was only after your first few responses that signaled increased sensitivity from your end that i linked to the additional sources, not knowing back then that you would take them literally and thus denouncing them as irrelevant.

Wait, wait, wait. In that first sentence you wrote there you said you had not omitted anything because you didn't have all the information at that time, which was fair. But later, in the second sentence of what I had quoted from you, you said that you HAD omitted information because you had not considered it relevant at that time when it was, do you read what you write or what?

Gee, its almost like i saw the error of my ways and made an edit at the bottom, and redirected you to it instead! And not only that, in order to prove credulence, that i also left the errornous words in instead of removing them which could be seen as an act of coward and refusal to admit one was wrong!

Sorry, what?

Perhaps Linux is not the OS for you.

By the way how you handled the matter, I could say the same about you but who looks at these things, right?

I am so glad that you helped reduce my waste of time by providing more details on what you had found prior and what you have tried yourself so that this situation could have been avoided. But instead, you relied so heavily upon my relative in-experience with Linux that this was not an option for you.

Technically, you offered to try to help me with my problem even if you didn't know how to do it correctly but whatever.

I do not know by default how to compile ZDL and install it, for the sole reason that i am not on Linux right now and relied on a general knowledge of things. Realizing my errors, i retracted these. As one would do when they realize a mistake.

Seem right. However, in that case, I will have to find someone else to help me compile that program, among other things. Either way, I thank you for trying to help me.

Ofcourse you found that before, and ofcourse it was a great virtue from your end to tell people this in advance so that they do not have to look for that in the first place. Except you didn't. A ''What did i do prior'' would have helped a lot but somehow, that never crossed your mind.

Someone should control his ego before it is turned against him as it had happened before; It is just an advice.

I have a question about this, I like this launcher because it allows me to warp to the right map automatically instead of typing it out or selecting a drop down menu. This is very convenient and  a great time saver, but I have the following unrelated problem. Whenever I add a file to Doom Launcher, the file is duplicated. I was wondering if there's a fix for this (no file duplication), maybe a setting I'm not aware of. I'm just starting to use launchers in general so I have to ask the newb questions.

25 minutes ago, El_Diablo_Azul said:

Technically, that's what I had told you before.

Hence why i said it as such. You are still displaying this in this very reaction.

And your attitude is better than mine? Because it seems to me that your behaves like an jerk even if I had clarified from the first moment that I was using Linux, and you kept treating the matter as if it were something related to Windows. 

If you actually read the posts, you would understand i was clearly differentiating between your system and Windows. 

Who is the one who doesn't understand what, exactly?

You do. As you are proving this very instant by thinking i treated this as related to Windows, when its explained why it was referenced and that your situation is different because you use Linux. The why part escapes you, consistently.

Everything that has to do with compiling a program on Linux varies based on the type of system, as well as the program itself. In other words, the instructions for everything that has to do with compilation will almost never be the same for other programs.

Feel free to venture on your own with this - its a generic explanation and not a specific one.

And it doesn't help, that the instructions on how to install files with the extension .tar.gz and / or .tar.bz2 are 6, 7 or more years old.

Im sure you find something more recent that adhers to your specific list of demands.

Not that was that you failed to recognize the origin of the problem itself; I explained that in more detail before, so I will not explain it again.

Surely not you omitting key essential details, like, oh, you found instructions on installing or how to extract the tarball played a part in this. 

By the way how you handled the matter, I could say the same about you but who looks at these things, right?

Good thing i admitted this then!

Technically, you offered to try to help me with my problem even if you didn't know how to do it correctly but whatever.

Considering you asked the very same question on a different launcher and got no response, i felt compelled to reach out.

Seem right. However, in that case, I will have to find someone else to help me compile that program, among other things. Either way, I thank you for trying to help me.

Or you could try listing the things you have tried yourself before enquiring.

Someone should control his ego before it is turned against him as it had happened before; It is just an advice.

Like everyone else, there is an ego, yes. But i do know to admit when im wrong and so i did. 

That has yet to happen on your end. 

Good luck on your endeavors and further on Doomworld. You may want to ask this on the Zdoom forums considering ZDL has its roots in ZDoom.

1 hour ago, Asking4Id said:

I have a question about this, I like this launcher because it allows me to warp to the right map automatically instead of typing it out or selecting a drop down menu. This is very convenient and  a great time saver, but I have the following unrelated problem. Whenever I add a file to Doom Launcher, the file is duplicated. I was wondering if there's a fix for this (no file duplication), maybe a setting I'm not aware of. I'm just starting to use launchers in general so I have to ask the newb questions.

What do you mean by that? If you add a WAD/PK3 or ZIP file from anywhere on your desktop, it will be duplicated and added into your GameFiles folder, which is where all the game content is stored, including your IWADs. DoomLauncher is meant to be portable (put on a flash drive, another hard drive, etc.) so you can safely delete the external file you added as it will be in the launcher's database and local GameFiles folder.

6 hours ago, DiamondDude11 said:

So, a few questions...
Is it compatible with GZDoom?
And do you just put the IWAD and WAD/pk3 into a .zip format?

You don't need to add IWADs as a .zip file, you can just add DOOM.WAD for example and the launcher will take care of it. I think you can also add custom IWADs but you might have to change it to "Any File" or something so that the launcher doesn't only look for .WAD files. For the rest, there is a manual to help you out on most common questions.

2 minutes ago, Erick said:

What do you mean by that? If you add a WAD/PK3 or ZIP file from anywhere on your desktop, it will be duplicated and added into your GameFiles folder, which is where all the game content is stored, including your IWADs. DoomLauncher is meant to be portable (put on a flash drive, another hard drive, etc.) so you can safely delete the external file you added as it will be in the launcher's database and local GameFiles folder.

I see, I had no idea it was supposed to be portable. I guess that means it will always be that way.

Just now, Asking4Id said:

I see, I had no idea it was supposed to be portable. I guess that means it will always be that way.

It has some advantages like using the launcher's tags and file information to know what file is what and decide what to play next. Having files in compressed ZIP files can also save some space if you have some pretty big WAD files. You can play around with the launcher to get things organized and you can also right click on a game file to open the ZIP if there is any file you want to extract or anything.

New version 2.7.0.0:

https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases/tag/2.7.0.0

Expanded text box view for adding extra parameters
Profile support. Game files can have multiple profiles with different settings and additional files
Will automatically check for updates
Added DPI awareness for better scaling when using high DPI
Better scaling for images when not 16:9
Adding / removing tags will only show relevant tags
Fixed issue when clearing search results
Fixed issue that would cause additional files to clear when a game file is renamed

can't start the laucher :( 

get error: "initialising failure. could not find doomlauncher database"

4 hours ago, skite2001 said:

can't start the laucher :( 

get error: "initialising failure. could not find doomlauncher database"

Did you extract all the files from zip to your computer? Doom Launcher can't work directly out of the zip.

3.0.0.0 Release Candidate:

*This is a pre-release. There is a new installer package, but it will work for new installs only. It's not able to update previous manual release. Use DoomLauncher_3.0.0.0rc.zip to manually update a previous release.

https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases/tag/3.0.0.0rc

Two most notable features are:

- Users can now change how Doom Launcher manages files.

Managed: Doom Launcher manages and compresses files in the GameFiles directory for you.
Unmanaged: Files are referenced by their original path and not managed by Doom Launcher.
Prompt: Prompted to choose when file(s) are added.

- New modern tile view. View options are changeable in Settings -> View.

dl2.png.dd00ca39f39c7299d699e740747f4b83.png

Edited by hobomaster22

I really love the addition of the tiles. I thought of a pretty neat suggestion though. Would it be possible to implement different views for different tabs at some point? Like for example, I really like having the large tiles for the IWADs section, but my other tags with the rest of my mods, I would prefer to have the grid layout. It would certainly add to more customizability and it's good for organization. Besides that, I love this application and I've been using it for a very long time! Keep up the great work! 

I wasn't fond of the idea that it copies my files. Thank you for making it optional now.

I remember I could hardly see the list of files because I use high contrast mode on my computer. I will check if it's still a deal breaking problem for me.

The tile view is a really neat idea. I wonder if it's compatible with all wads.

The only convenient launcher for me has been ZDL so far (I can double click to temporarily pause addons, quickly change load order and save presets).

10 hours ago, FrogMaster said:

Would it be possible to implement different views for different tabs at some point? Like for example, I really like having the large tiles for the IWADs section, but my other tags with the rest of my mods, I would prefer to have the grid layout.

The idgames tab still uses the grid view even when using the tile view, so I wouldn't rule out that possibility!

9 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

I remember I could hardly see the list of files because I use high contrast mode on my computer. I will check if it's still a deal breaking problem for me.

The text should be larger and more readable with the tile view, hopefully all important file info should be more readable now.

9 hours ago, <<Rewind said:

The tile view is a really neat idea. I wonder if it's compatible with all wads.

The tile view and grid view are both identical in how they work with handling files, be it managed or unmanaged.

@The MemeMind

Direct link to installer:
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases/download/3.0.0.0rc/DoomLauncher_3.0.0.0rc_install.zip

18 hours ago, FrogMaster said:

I really love the addition of the tiles. I thought of a pretty neat suggestion though. Would it be possible to implement different views for different tabs at some point? Like for example, I really like having the large tiles for the IWADs section, but my other tags with the rest of my mods, I would prefer to have the grid layout. It would certainly add to more customizability and it's good for organization. Besides that, I love this application and I've been using it for a very long time! Keep up the great work! 

It's definitely possible. Added an enhancement in github. I will plan it for the next release. Thanks!
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/issues/167

I'm not saying this is important or in need of fixing but if I may, let me show you the two obstacles indicated in the screenshot.

One is caused by 125% scaling in Windows and the other one is caused by high contrast mode that I use.

I juxtaposed the lauchers to show why zdl I find more usable.

8U2m0By.jpg

56 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

I'm not saying this is important or in need of fixing but if I may, let me show you the two obstacles indicated in the screenshot.

One is caused by 125% scaling in Windows and the other one is caused by high contrast mode that I use. 

I juxtaposed the lauchers to show why zdl I find more usable.

I can work on fixing them. Doom Launcher has a lot of functionality and custom UI components that make all these user specific issues crop up. Unless the UI is very basic and/or only uses built-in Windows controls like ZDL, then you actually have to develop specific cases for dealing with DPI scaling and contrast modes when doing custom UI and painting functions. This is actually a good point, there are probably other user settings that can cause colors not to be correct.

6 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

@<<Rewind
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/hobomaster22/doomlauncher/builds/33572805/artifacts

This should resolve all your high contrast issues.

If you ran the installer, you will have to copy DoomLauncher.exe from DoomLauncher_3.0.0.0.zip into C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom Launcher.

Wow, that's incredible, thank you. 

I used Doom Launcher today for a few hours. It's very nice overall but I think I'll still be forced to remain with ZDL because I'm plagued by crashes, especially when adding new files. Grid view also crashes.

What I like most is that you can create a desktop shortcut with a ready loadout for a specific wad. 

I group my files with file names so the autosearch feature is particularly nice.

If I may give some feedback, I would say that Doom Launcher would benefit from having keyboard shortcuts for the buttons (add, move up, move down, delete) so you can add and move addons more quickly.  It would also make sense to have a separate tab for wads and separate for the dozens of other kinds of Doom mods that you won't want to launch from the grid view.

Thanks again for addressing that high contrast thing. I'll look forward to future versions.

4 minutes ago, <<Rewind said:

Wow, that's incredible, thank you. 

I used Doom Launcher today for a few hours. It's very nice overall but I think I'll still be forced to remain with ZDL because I'm plagued by crashes, especially when adding new files. Grid view also crashes. 

What I like most is that you can create a desktop shortcut with a ready loadout for a specific wad. 

I group my files with file names so the autosearch feature is particularly nice. 

If I may give some feedback, I would say that Doom Launcher would benefit from having keyboard shortcuts for the buttons (add, move up, move down, delete) so you can add and move addons more quickly.  It would also make sense to have a separate tab for wads and separate for the dozens of other kinds of Doom mods that you won't want to launch from the grid view. 

Thanks again for addressing that high contrast thing. I'll look forward to future versions.

No problem. Would you mind posting the callstack of crashes you have? Doom Launcher should display the text and highlight it automatically. You can post them here, send me a DM, or post on github, whatever you prefer. I would really appreciate it.

Since I found the previous ZDoom noendgame file unsatisfactory (I have to remember to use it, I can't see the ending text, and only works for maps where the ending is on MAP30/ExM8), I wrote a better one. What this does is that when you beat a level that would end the game, it instead takes you back to the beginning of the map for 1 second (to make an autosave), then ends the level normally. This should work on any mapset (like Valiant), lets you see the ending properly (doesn't change the map itself at all), and makes a good autoload. The catch is that it will only work on GZDoom 4.2.0 and up/corresponding LZDoom (and it doesn't work for hubs, but stats don't make sense there anyway), but I don't think that's that big a deal. No harm in posting it.

FinalLevelStats.zip

On a different note, would it be possible to allow the user to change what maps are in the WAD, as far as DoomLauncher is concerned? It's not uncommon for mapsets to have "end maps" that aren't meant to be completed (for example, MAP12 of UAC Ultra), or even more extreme cases (Deus Vult 2 technically has 32 maps, but only 13 of them are actual levels, the rest are dummy maps). These can be misleading as to how many maps are in the set, and in the case of end maps, you won't be able to get 100% map completion on Doomlauncher. I currently fix this by manually editting the sqlite file, but it would be nice to be able to do it from DoomLauncher itself.

EDIT: Changed file; I uploaded the wrong version.

Edited by 3saster

On 7/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, 3saster said:

Since I found the previous ZDoom noendgame file unsatisfactory (I have to remember to use it, I can't see the ending text, and only works for maps where the ending is on MAP30/ExM8), I wrote a better one. What this does is that when you beat a level that would end the game, it instead takes you back to the beginning of the map for 1 second (to make an autosave), then ends the level normally. This should work on any mapset (like Valiant), lets you see the ending properly (doesn't change the map itself at all), and makes a good autoload. The catch is that it will only work on GZDoom 4.2.0 and up/corresponding LZDoom (and it doesn't work for hubs, but stats don't make sense there anyway), but I don't think that's that big a deal. No harm in posting it.

FinalLevelStats.zip

On a different note, would it be possible to allow the user to change what maps are in the WAD, as far as DoomLauncher is concerned? It's not uncommon for mapsets to have "end maps" that aren't meant to be completed (for example, MAP12 of UAC Ultra), or even more extreme cases (Deus Vult 2 technically has 32 maps, but only 13 of them are actual levels, the rest are dummy maps). These can be misleading as to how many maps are in the set, and in the case of end maps, you won't be able to get 100% map completion on Doomlauncher. I currently fix this by manually editting the sqlite file, but it would be nice to be able to do it from DoomLauncher itself.

EDIT: Changed file; I uploaded the wrong version.

FinalLevelStats works much better, thanks! I am almost at the point where I am going to fork GZDoom and just implement a true statistics feature like practically every other source port has.

Added an enhancement in github for editing the map list:
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/issues/175

13 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

FinalLevelStats works much better, thanks! I am almost at the point where I am going to fork GZDoom and just implement a true statistics feature like practically every other source port has.

Added an enhancement in github for editing the map list:
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/issues/175

I'd probably leave the original noendgame up as well, the solution I posted will only work in GZDoom 4.2.0 and up (or the LZDoom equivalent), whereas the original should work in any ZDoom based port, since it's modifying MAPINFO.

If you decide to fork GZDoom, be sure to make a PR to merge it back into mainline GZDoom :P

After fiddling with screenshot importing, I can't seem to find a way to bulk import hundreds of screenshots into a specific mod's database entry, let alone import the whole folder. I can do importing one screen at a time, which is rather unreasonable. Doom Launcher does recognize when I'm using IrfanView to take screenshots, then tagging them correctly so long as I set the screenshot path to a shared directory. But that's only working for mods I'm playing now, not ones where I took screenshots before setting Doom Launcher up to recognize them.

tl;dr A bulk screenshot scanning method for imported, non-tracked screenshots per game would be handy. I'm not sure if I've worded this correctly, to be honest.

4 hours ago, PasokonDeacon said:

After fiddling with screenshot importing, I can't seem to find a way to bulk import hundreds of screenshots into a specific mod's database entry, let alone import the whole folder. I can do importing one screen at a time, which is rather unreasonable. Doom Launcher does recognize when I'm using IrfanView to take screenshots, then tagging them correctly so long as I set the screenshot path to a shared directory. But that's only working for mods I'm playing now, not ones where I took screenshots before setting Doom Launcher up to recognize them.

tl;dr A bulk screenshot scanning method for imported, non-tracked screenshots per game would be handy. I'm not sure if I've worded this correctly, to be honest.

I can update the screenshot selection dialog to allow for selecting multiple files. Would this work?