Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Doom Launcher - Doom frontend & database v3.7.4 (12/2023)

9 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

It should just be the print screen button. GZDoom displays a message on the top left when it takes a screenshot.

Thanks, I will try that. I did find an option to reassign it in the Controls when I did some digging; it was on Sys Req which I couldn't find on my laptop for whatever reason.

One thing I wasn't able to figure out, pertaining to searches, is there a way to clear the results of a search so I can display all the other files listed in that tab once more? 

44 minutes ago, 666shooter said:

Thanks, I will try that. I did find an option to reassign it in the Controls when I did some digging; it was on Sys Req which I couldn't find on my laptop for whatever reason.

One thing I wasn't able to figure out, pertaining to searches, is there a way to clear the results of a search so I can display all the other files listed in that tab once more? 

Yes, just delete the search text and click search. 

Hi, I was just wondering if there was a way to set custom icons for the different WAD setups to help with differentiation, because at the moment everything just has the same doomlauncher icon. Does it have something to do with using ingame screenshots for the icon or is it something else?

Is there any source on the idgames archive or elsewhere that the metadata for the Doom, Heretic, and Strife games may be updated for?

5 hours ago, Valgilton said:

Hi, I was just wondering if there was a way to set custom icons for the different WAD setups to help with differentiation, because at the moment everything just has the same doomlauncher icon. Does it have something to do with using ingame screenshots for the icon or is it something else?

It's the screenshot method, just use whatever you have set in GZDoom or ZDoom and it'll show up as the thumbnail. Though if there's more than one screenshot, it'll cycle through.

19 hours ago, PhoxFyre007 said:

Is there any source on the idgames archive or elsewhere that the metadata for the Doom, Heretic, and Strife games may be updated for?

I populated my IWADS manually based on information in corresponding wiki articles.  No automated way to do it that I am aware of.

This is something that I just noticed but I think is really cool. The slideshow feature is actually compatible with GIF files. I tested that to see how it would work and the GIF is actually showing motion within the slideshow window. That's actually awesome! However, I also noticed that if you readjust the size of the window, the GIF motion will stop. I'm not exactly sure how to address something like that but it's nothing serious anyways, just a really neat thing I noticed while experimenting. The slideshow is one of my favorite features and I'm really glad you managed to implement it. 😅

ezgif-2-b5721926f40d.gif

I really like the scanline screen filter. One question: Would be possible to adjust the vertical scanlines separate from the horizontal scanlines and vice-versa?

When I use the scanline filter with crispy-doom that is integer-scaled, I can scale the scanlines vertically and evenly between the upscaled pixels, but since the image is stretched horizontally by 20%, I cant get the horizontal scanlines evenly between the pixels. There is an overlap on some of the pixels horizontally.

I hope what i said made sense.

Thanks.

Really great piece of software. Is there anyway to pistol start in GZDoom without having to delete my save? I really want to keep the statistics rolling for a whole megawad.

EDIT: I figured it out.

Edited by CacoCaddy

New version 3.3.0:
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases/tag/3.3.0

- Typing a valid skill number in the skill drop down will no longer display the 'A skill must be selected' message.
- Attempting to get metadata for an IWAD not on idgames will display a warning as to why they will not be found on idgames.
- Fixed issue that would sometimes cause latest map to be incorrect.
- More efficient memory usage for displaying screenshots. Previous version could cause out of memory exceptions with very large png files.
- Option to load the latest save file. Supported for the following source ports:
Chocolate Doom
CNDoom
Crispy Doom
Eternity
PrBoom-Plus
Woof!
ZDoom Variants

Thank you for this frontend, it is my preferred way of managing multiple wads.

One thing I'd love to see is a feature to edit the path of a wad after it is created. Recently I was moving around my folders and I had to edit the sqlite database manually to have the paths updated in DoomLauncher.

Hey, I love this frontend. Been using for the past year and a half. I'd love to see global profiles, aside of the local profiles for each wad that are already implemented. I always use the same three or four profiles (different source ports with different command lines), and It'd be great not to have to set it all over again each time I play a new wad.

Also, when I want to delete some source port from the list, i can't do it if the exe file doesn't exist. It crashes. This happened for Glboom+, whose folder and exe had already been deleted, but I forgot to delete it from the list in the frontend.

Just when i made simple .bat to launch different WADs, i find this beautiful, beautiful launcher! I completely fell in love with the simple but effective scanline filter option. Great work!

21 hours ago, Demion said:

Hey, I love this frontend. Been using for the past year and a half. I'd love to see global profiles, aside of the local profiles for each wad that are already implemented. I always use the same three or four profiles (different source ports with different command lines), and It'd be great not to have to set it all over again each time I play a new wad. 

Also, when I want to delete some source port from the list, i can't do it if the exe file doesn't exist. It crashes. This happened for Glboom+, whose folder and exe had already been deleted, but I forgot to delete it from the list in the frontend. 

What are you trying to accomplish with global profiles? Source ports allow you to add command line and files globally so both will be added automatically just by selecting that source port. If something more would be useful I am interested.

I wasn't able to recreate the source port delete problem. If you can post the exception text on github if you have an account, if not here should be ok.

3 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

What are you trying to accomplish with global profiles? Source ports allow you to add command line and files globally so both will be added automatically just by selecting that source port. If something more would be useful I am interested.

I wasn't able to recreate the source port delete problem. If you can post the exception text on github if you have an account, if not here should be ok.

For example, I use 4 different source ports. Each one with their own command line setting. This command line depends on complevel, and is not always the same for one source port in particular. For example, GZDoom I use "-config Vanilla.ini" or Boom.ini or whatever, and with PrBoom+ i use "-complevel 2" or 9, with Eternity i don't use any of those command lines, same with Crispy or Chocolate. If this profiles can be set globally, I could load each one without having to set it all over again. I know there is an option to add command lines to each source port globally, but I use more than one command line for each source port depending on complevel. I hope I made myself clear. Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this would be useful, I hope not haha.

I wasn't able to recreate the delete problem either. It happened yesterday, but not today. I don't know then. If it happens again I will tell you, and post the exception text.

Thank you in advance.

I don't get it, how do I add tile images? Seems like this thing needs a manual. Oh wait I found it.

UPD: The text in the description window is kinda messed up, dunno if it's due to copypasting from Doomworld. Note that the text is correct when hovering on the WAD itself.

Spoiler

dlscr.png.cb3c6a76e5ae79386e372190787145aa.png

Edited by Vic Vos

Is it possible for you to create special names for screenshots? I mean when I take a screenshot in the game it usually has a name like: screenshot_doom_(date)_(time).png. It would be great to include Wad name in the filename.

Oh and I love this launcher! Good job!

On 4/18/2021 at 2:04 AM, Vic Vos said:

I don't get it, how do I add tile images? Seems like this thing needs a manual. Oh wait I found it.

UPD: The text in the description window is kinda messed up, dunno if it's due to copypasting from Doomworld. Note that the text is correct when hovering on the WAD itself. 

Can you link to where you downloaded the file and got it's description?

55 minutes ago, Elendir said:

Is it possible for you to create special names for screenshots? I mean when I take a screenshot in the game it usually has a name like: screenshot_doom_(date)_(time).png. It would be great to include Wad name in the filename. 

Oh and I love this launcher! Good job!

If you right click the image on the bottom and use copy/export functions, it should be saved in the format screenshot_port_filename.png (screenshot_GZDoom_DOOM2.png).

30 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

If you right click the image on the bottom and use copy/export functions, it should be saved in the format screenshot_port_filename.png (screenshot_GZDoom_DOOM2.png).

thanks!

On 2/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, PhoxFyre007 said:

I used the steam page for mine, with wikis for the release dates. I'll copypaste them for you to add yourself. TNT and Plutonia also have official descriptions in the Unity ports, which you can transcribe manually.

The Ultimate Doom

id Software

30/04/1995

The complete megahit game that set the world afire. Plus All-New Episode IV: Thy Flesh Consumed.

The demons came and the marines died. Except one. You are the last defense against these hell-spawned hordes. Prepare for the most intense mutant-laden, blood-splattered action ever! The texture-mapped virtual world is so real, you don't just play DOOM - you live it.

The Ultimate DOOM takes you beyond anything you've ever experienced. First, you get all three original episodes - that's 27 levels of awesome, explosive excitement. Then it really blows you away with an all-new episode: Thy Flesh Consumed.
Now you're dead meat. Just when you think you're getting pretty good at DOOM, you get hit with Perfect Hatred, Sever the Wicked and seven other expert levels never seen before! They're so incredibly tough, the first 27 levels will seem like a walk in the park!

Doom II: Hell on Earth

id Software

30/09/1994

Let the Obsession begin. Again.
This time, the entire forces of the netherworld have overrun Earth. To save her, you must descend into the stygian depths of Hell itself!

Battle mightier, nastier, deadlier demons and monsters. Use more powerful weapons. Survive more mind-blowing explosions and more of the bloodiest, fiercest, most awesome blastfest ever!

Play DOOM II solo, with two people over a modem, or with up to four players over a LAN (supporting IPX protocol). No matter which way you choose, get ready for adrenaline-pumping, action-packed excitement that's sure to give your heart a real workout.

Final Doom: TNT: Evilution

TeamTNT

17/06/1996

Far from earth, the UAC recommenced their experiments on on of the moons of Jupiter. A spaceship, mistaken for a supply vessel on radar, hovered above the base. Hideous demons poured out, blanketing the base with death. All your comrades were quickly slaughtered or zombified. This time, it's not about survival. It's about revenge.

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment

Dario Casali and Milo Casali

17/06/1996

Every effort has been made by the nation's top scientists to close the seven interdimensional Gates of Hell, but one portal remains open. Alone, you must infiltrate the ravaged complex, defeat the demon Gatekeeper and seal the last Hell-hole before the undead are prepared to, once again, take over the world.

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders

Raven Software

31/03/1996

In a twisted medieval dimension, undead creatures and bestial horrors have done the unthinkable--callously slaughtering your entire race. Your friends. Your family. Eliminated. But the nightmare has just begun. Wielding ungodly weapons such as the Firemace and Hellstaff and casting spells from the Tomes of Power, you must seek your vengeance. Or die trying.

Supports up to four players via network, two by modem. Adventure through the game with a friend or crack their skull in a bloody deathmatch.
Walk. Run. Fly. Look all around you, even up and down.
Choose from among 7 weapons (from the simple staff to the awesome Phoenix Rod).
Use arcane artifacts to unleash unearthly power on unsuspecting foes.

Hexen: Beyond Heretic

Raven Software

30/10/1995

While you were battling the evil forces of D'Sparil, the other Serpent Riders were busy sowing the seeds of destruction in other dimensions. One such dimension is the decaying world where Hexen takes place. A world littered with the mangled corpses of nonbelievers and inhabited by the undead followers that executed them. Only three humans &endash; a warrior, a mage and a cleric &endash; have escaped the leaders' vicious spell. Now these brave souls have sworn to crush the evil regime that threatens to destroy the world forever. Separated upon entering the mystical portal, the three are forced to attempt on their own what they had hoped to do together: find Korax's stronghold, destroy him and restore order in the physical world.

Become one of 3 heroes. Wield superhuman powers and lethal weapons.

Walk. Run. Fly. Look all around. Inflict serious pain.

Pillage your way through earthquakes, crumbling bridges and fog.

Track down powerful artifacts and cast wicked spells.

Four sick individuals can wreak havoc via network, two by modem.

Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel

Raven Software

03/09/1996

Where HeXen Ends, the True Nightmare Begins. Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is the only official expansion of the original HeXen game. This add-on pack features 20 new single player levels from the original HeXen team as well as a host of new multiplayer options.

Deathkings of the Dark Citadel was the first true game expansion that Raven Software ever produced. In addition to providing three new hubs for the original HeXen, the Deathkings expansion was the first multiplayer game that allowed eight players to connect to a LAN simultaneously.

The following two IWADs I use story text from wikis or the official site to fill the Description tab, as Strife: Veteran Edition doesn't have the original stuff written for it as far as I know.

Strife: Quest for the Sigil

Rogue Entertainment

15/05/1996

You are a wandering mercenary, led to the small town of Tarnhill by rumors of conflict between The Order, a well-equipped religious dictatorship, and The Front, the rag tag resistance movement. While searching for The Front you decided to take a brief rest somewhere that you thought was safe. The Order acolytes have been rounding up all suspicious characters in the area. Yes, you happen to be one of them. What they didn't expect, though, is the knife you keep concealed for situations just like this one...

HacX: Twitch 'n Kill

Banjo Software

16/09/1997

Okay. So you're going along, minding your own business, which just happens to be hacking into other people's databases, when your latest hack, some hi-tech company, catches you on-line and sends over some government jerk to arrest you. Mother said there'd be days like this. You broke a few national and international laws. So what's the big deal?! Hacking is what hackers do! But seems like you hacked into the wrong database this time. Ultra-secret and all that. Genemp Corporation. Some biotech something or other. Database called itself GENIE. Something peculiar in that. Awfully sophisticated database. Especially if it caught you in the middle of hacking, and you're the best, it's eerily sophisticated. Like it can actually think, or something.

So they send you packing… to the federal pen. For the rest of your natural life. No computer, no gear, nothing. Total drag. Cement and bars, and the other guys inside aren't exactly your average beefcakes. They catch a glance at your cyber-jockey derrière and get a wet gleam in their eye. So what you do for the next twelve months is hit the weight room--hard and fast! You pump iron like your life depended on it--and it does. You learn to sleep with one eye open. Punching the heavy bag becomes your breakfast; tae-kwon-do your lunch, and for dinner… well, you gotta eat sometime. And practice? Plenty. 'Cause these boys got a gleam in their eyes that won't go away. But how you've changed! Over once scarecrow arms, muscles wrap tight and heavy, and you've got a fu-kick that makes the boys call you "Sir". Before you were just an average pencil-necked geek, now you could grace the front of Muscle and Guns Magazine. And just in time, too.

Because one day you return to your cell to find a tight-lipped, little man in a black suit with a bad haircut. Won't give his name, but says he's a Government Agent with the Subcommittee. Which subcommittee? The Subcommittee. The guy's a regular riot; just one clown shy of a circus. But you listen, 'cause heck, you've got all the time in the world.

And so he tells a tale… of world-wide communication blackouts, computer network shutdowns at governmental and military installations, international stock market crashes, and what might seem unbelievable… armies of cannibal zombies roaming the globe, laying waste to everything in their path! Nothing fancy, just your everyday global chaos. The President has declared martial law, but they've lost contact with parts of the armed forces, and some of these rogue military units are assaulting urban centers. The country is being decimated!

And you thought you had it rough! So, why tell you? Because you're the best Hacker in the business. And they think they know who's behind this weirdness--a consortium of powerful, international hi-tech conglomerates, but they can't get close enough to be certain. So far every government agent they've sent in has yet to return. They need you to infiltrate these corporate databases and find out what's going on. What's more, they want to surgically install a military-grade Genemp Microtel into your frontal cerebral lobe. A what, where? A new, experimental cyber device that allows you to cyberleap from one terminal to another using cyberspace as if it were a taxicab.

So what's in it for you? You get to keep the Microtel and have lunch with the President. You laugh, 'cause you've heard better offers from the guys with the gleam in their eyes. Oh, he adds, there's $20 million in gold. Suddenly you feel patriotic. Ah, why not?

There's only one hitch to getting the gold, the Agent says. What? You gotta stay alive.

(Jesus christ, thats a lot of text for HacX)

When I add a .pk3 file to the load order, it seems that the program doesn't actually recognize it and I need to manually enable it each time. Why is this?

@hobomaster22 Hi man, will you eventualy add support for statistics for the Eternity Engine and also support for .pke format that Skillsaw´s blockbuster Heartland is saved on?

Now that Eternity Engine has such a huge name and success under it´s coat, I think it would be a great oportunity to include it in officialy supported sourceports.

Also I can´t launch prboom+ umapinfo, it says it can´t find iwad (version 3.3.0 of doom launcher)

Edited by MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai

16 hours ago, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

@hobomaster22 Hi man, will you eventualy add support for statistics for the Eternity Engine and also support for .pke format that Skillsaw´s blockbuster Heartland is saved on?

Now that Eternity Engine has such a huge name and success under it´s coat, I think it would be a great oportunity to include it in officialy supported sourceports.

Also I can´t launch prboom+ umapinfo, it says it can´t find iwad (version 3.3.0 of doom launcher)

If you edit the eternity source port you can add .pke to the supported extensions. 

As for statistics, unless something has changed eternity doesn’t output statistics so there isn’t anything I can do. 

For prboom click Show Launch Parameters and make sure -iwad is there. 

It's been a little while since I've used Doom Launcher, but I have a couple questions:

If I have an existing "installation" of a sourceport, will I be able to copy it and any necessary files over to the Doom Launcher folder without having to reconfigure the sourceport's settings?

Is it possible to have a dark/night mode for Doom Launcher? 

2 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

It's been a little while since I've used Doom Launcher, but I have a couple questions:

If I have an existing "installation" of a sourceport, will I be able to copy it and any necessary files over to the Doom Launcher folder without having to reconfigure the sourceport's settings? 

Is it possible to have a dark/night mode for Doom Launcher

It is possible, ports like gzdoom use the ini file so as long as that comes over it should be the same. You can also leave the source port in it's current location and reference it there (unless there is a reason that you want to copy it.)

Dark mode is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Unfortunately, the framework Doom Launcher was built on makes this incredibly difficult, so it has sat on the back burner for quite some time.

3 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

It is possible, ports like gzdoom use the ini file so as long as that comes over it should be the same. You can also leave the source port in it's current location and reference it there (unless there is a reason that you want to copy it.)

Dark mode is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Unfortunately, the framework Doom Launcher was built on makes this incredibly difficult, so it has sat on the back burner for quite some time.

I've been using a different frontend with its own installation of GZDoom, so I was curious if I'd be able to copy that installation and use it with your Doom Launcher and not have to worry about accidentally deleting the other frontend and the sourceports along with it. 

Something else I'm curious about, how would I add the Doom 2 Master Levels (either as individual maps or combined into a single WAD) and Hexen Deathkings to the launcher? As files, IWADs, etc?

8 hours ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I've been using a different frontend with its own installation of GZDoom, so I was curious if I'd be able to copy that installation and use it with your Doom Launcher and not have to worry about accidentally deleting the other frontend and the sourceports along with it. 

Something else I'm curious about, how would I add the Doom 2 Master Levels (either as individual maps or combined into a single WAD) and Hexen Deathkings to the launcher? As files, IWADs, etc?

Hexen Deathkings is strange because it's not an IWAD. Just add it like any other wad and run it with the hexen IWAD.

The Master Levels was kind of a mess so that is up to the user. You can make a Tag for Master Levels with Show Tab enabled to keep them organized in one spot. This option is available in the main menu under Manage Tags.

6 hours ago, hobomaster22 said:

Hexen Deathkings is strange because it's not an IWAD. Just add it like any other wad and run it with the hexen IWAD.

The Master Levels was kind of a mess so that is up to the user. You can make a Tag for Master Levels with Show Tab enabled to keep them organized in one spot. This option is available in the main menu under Manage Tags.

It took me some time to figure it out, but I did manage to get them sorted via the Tag feature. I figured I'd label them under "Expansions" because they're both sold separately from their base counterparts and require IWADs of Hexen and Doom 2 respectively. And they do seem to have different or varied maps too. 

Also made tags for maps, mods, music, and addons too, so it's easier to navigate through everything I have available. 

New version 3.3.1:
https://github.com/nstlaurent/DoomLauncher/releases/tag/3.3.1

- Wrap save game path in quotes for -loadgame for ZDoom
- Recognizes dsda-doom
- Sync deleted save games
- Added pke extension for Eternity
- Allow users to select any type of extension even if not in the supported extensions list for the source port
- Show manage tag option when right clicking in the tab side bar