Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jazzmaster9

Innocence III [Released! NOW ON IDGAMES]

i like the reserved use of 3d floors etc for a vanilla style mapset with extra features.

lots of long-range chaingunners which just make for unfair/not fun gameplay.

plasma zombie introduced on map02? feels like you could introduce them in a much better way

that corridor with the archvile behind the caco was... not fun at all.

Hello, Jazzmaster9. I'm probably going to tell you similar things as before. It might be because your mapping didn't change much, as well as I didn't change much. ;)

I'm still impressed by your speed and endurance, regarding mapping. On the other hand, I find it a shame that you rely on homages and copying IWAD design. In my opinion, homages are (more often than not) a sign of mapper's lack of ideas, and I (like most players) would rather like to see originality in design. So repeating entryway stairs (which, in particular, I've expected to be in your map) wouldn't be necessary. True, you're obviously cutting down on the homages, good.

Your design is still fairly simple. It doesn't mean the maps aren't enjoyable - they are - and that's, of course, enough - but anyway you could show more. Difficulty is very easy, but again, for a casual playthrough it's good.

I disagree with jjjmickle's complaints. Long range chaingunners are bad, but your maps in particular implement them well. Plasma zombies are good, there's no problem with the place where you've introduced them. And the AV + cacodemon corridor was quite fun. ;)

MAP04 had a moment where an archvile was standing below a 3D floor, while I was fighting monsters on the 3D floor above. The archvile was able to resurrect corpses far above him, that was strange. Maybe remove the archvile. MAP05... Is like Dis done right, and it works - but it's really easy and the whole map (again) could have provided more, but I don't really complain.

So, good job again, nice little wad! But remember, you've always got a room for improvement.

scifista42 said:

MAP04 had a moment where an archvile was standing below a 3D floor, while I was fighting monsters on the 3D floor above. The archvile was able to resurrect corpses far above him, that was strange. Maybe remove the archvile.

That only seems to happen when the monster's collision is over the 3D Floors Drop off, that actually happened to me while testing and decided to Keep it :P

scifista42 said:

Hello, Jazzmaster9. I'm probably going to tell you similar things as before. It might be because your mapping didn't change much, as well as I didn't change much. ;)

Innocence II and III were made virtually at the same time, so the styles were kinda the same for both. Feedback is definitely being taken though for future projects.

scifista42 said:

I find it a shame that you rely on homages and copying IWAD design. In my opinion, homages are (more often than not) a sign of mapper's lack of ideas, and I (like most players) would rather like to see originality in design. So repeating entryway stairs (which, in particular, I've expected to be in your map) wouldn't be necessary. True, you're obviously cutting down on the homages, good.

That was basically the only homage in the set, yeah i just went back to Innocence 1's style of "just make classic style maps".

Thank you so much for the feedback.

scifista42 said:

I disagree with jjjmickle's complaints. Long range chaingunners are bad, but your maps in particular implement them well. Plasma zombies are good, there's no problem with the place where you've introduced them. And the AV + cacodemon corridor was quite fun. ;)

How in the hell did you enjoy any of these things

Beta Version 2 Now Available

Changes:

- Fixed the Blue Door that was not tagged with a Lock.
- Some minor Re-texturing in Map 2.

jazzmaster9 said:

That only seems to happen when the monster's collision is over the 3D Floors Drop off, that actually happened to me while testing and decided to Keep it :P

I've found out that in Zandronum, archvile can resurrect the corpses everywhere on the 3D floor, but in ZDoom, I wasn't able to make him resurrect a single corpse, even on a drop off.

jmickle: I took the archvile moment as an interesting (while simple and easy) practice, where I had to run there and back several times and block the cacodemon corpse by my own body, in order to safely win. A welcomed change from headless shooting things in front of me.

Can't wait for this. I highly enjoyed the first two, and I'll be all over the final release of III as soon as it's out.

Salt-Man Z said:

Can't wait for this. I highly enjoyed the first two, and I'll be all over the final release of III as soon as it's out.

Great to hear! Try out the beta and see it needs some improvements. I really wanna get this as polished for you guys as possible.

Beta Version 3 Now Available

Changes:

- Some minor Re-texturing in.
- Minor changes in geometry.
- Added some more detail in Map 2.

Final Beta Uploaded!

Changes:
- Minor Retexturing
- Changes in Ending Text.

Release date will be some time between August 1-5.

Uploaded a minor Update on the Final Beta.

Changed the Spiderdemon's attack behavior.
Initially I changed his A_FaceTarget to 25 tics, but reverted it back to the original's 20 Tics.

Innocence III had been released!

changes:
- Retextured some LITEBLUE in map 04 to LITE5
- Some Ammo Rebalancing
- Made some design modifications in Map 02

SlashBane said:

This is awesome Jazz I might stream this tonight.

Glad you liked the series.

I'll be watching your stream.

Larzuk said:

Figured I'd drop by and tell you that I've started my play through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAqxEF_WXKc

Sweet, I'll be sure to watch it.

SlashBane said:

I don't know if you were there but I did.

Here is also my uploaded video. Very good solid set of maps. That city map was a tough one! I like the imps and their color scheme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGBTRNdA1xE

I watched your youtube upload. Yeah Map 04 was really a challenge for you, but you managed to beat it.

Excellent map design with well placed monsters and items, very clean visuals, sweet custom monsters that mesh perfectly with the stock ones, and a microscopic filesize to top it all off. This is my kind of wad.

I noticed a fairly unimportant glitch: Near the blue key on map02, there's a part where you can stand on the dirt and it damages like nukage. A very minor bug.

Great stuff!

Doomkid said:

I noticed a fairly unimportant glitch: Near the blue key on map02, there's a part where you can stand on the dirt and it damages like nukage. A very minor bug.

Great stuff!

Damn I can't believe i missed that, oh well.

Finally got around to downloading and playing this last night. Good stuff, as usual, but not as satisfying as the previous ones. This set only really feels like 4 maps: the secret level (though amusing) feels like an afterthought, and the boss battle (though well done) is merely that.

The long-range chaingunners were annoying, but not a ton of a trouble for a save-spammer like myself. I still died way more than I was expecting to, though, even on HMP.

Things I really liked: The plasma zombies were super cool, with their single plasma shots (unlike the arachnotron's steady stream, or Scythe 2's plasma zombies). The 3D floors were also a pleasant surprise. And of course, I'm still in love with the Nightmare Imps (I don't know why.)

Just wish it had gone on a little longer. Looking forward to Innocence IV! :)

I liked it, those really presented a similar feel of the original Doom 2 levels, be it they were a little short in comparison.
My favorite was Earth S.O.S., I was getting some Downtown nostalgia there :D