Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

Tricking Doom into having 3d?

So as you can see in this picture I am trying to make it look like there is a actual 3D level.
How would I go about doing that so that I can actually walk under it? But not over it?
And when i'm under it I can see it as if there was a floor.
The thing i'm planning is having a silent teleport once I hit half way up the stairs but teleport to a different sector with the exact same textures and all that, except this time i'm on the second floor while looking like i'm still in one sector if that makes sense.
So how would I go about doing this?
If further explanation is needed let me know.
By the way, ignore all the textures I use Marbleface as a easy way to see the grid better in editing mode.

Keep in mind that multiple floors can be done with fairly severe limitations in Vanilla, but in Zdoom/Gzdoom editing, it's much easier and you can do a lot more with it.

You can use ZDoom 3d floors. This usually prevents any other port from playing the level wad.

You can use DoomLegacy 3d floors. This is close to a Boom format, so other ports can play the level, but the 3d floors are then missing.
This is my favorite, but I am biased. There are more variations like water, swimmable water, transparency, fog, color, and other odd effects. It can also do Boom Deep Water.

You can use imitation 3d bridges using Boom Deep Water (which is compatible with more ports). This involves the appearance of a bridge but the actual sectors move up and down to allow the player to walk over or under the bridge (does not work simultaneously for multiple players). See Boom demo wads.

You can use imitation 3d bridges in vanilla. Include in a sector some linedefs that refer to sectors of other heights, putting them close enough together to make a bridge. The engine will support the player using these nearby sectors too. Does not work for all ports and all display modes as it is a Vanilla trick. See Bloodwrks.wad.

Some questions about 3d floors:
Legacy has had 3d floors for a long time. They were a little buggy when rendering, especially with strangely-shaped sectors, and with nearby sprites.

ZDoom recently added 3d floor support. From what I saw of the source, it looked like it was somewhat "borrowed" from Legacy's implementation.

My questions are:
1. Is ZDoom's 3d floor code actually borrowed and tweaked from Legacy's implementation?

2. Does the ZDoom implementation have some of the same rendering bugs, or any rendering bugs? If so, does ZDoom render them better than Legacy?

3. Has the Legacy rendering code been worked on and/or improved recently?

Please don't forget that EDGE/3DGE also supports 3D floors, and was one of the first ports to do so. Superb implementation and rendering of them, at that.

Until I've seen this implemented with playability the skeptic in me will keep imagining that overlapping sectors might wreck havoc with the AI's pathing? Are there any new maps out there that apply these new features well, and also achieves good gameplay? I saw Chubz' tutorial on this and was somewhat excited, but having worked with Boom's underwater sectors in the past I know these things' vertices are hell to adjust, keep parallel and fiddle around with, after you've placed them down. basically your 3D affected sectors becomes three time the amount of work to upkeep, and then some. I might be simple minded, I don't know.

EDIT: typo

kb1 said:

1. Is ZDoom's 3d floor code actually borrowed and tweaked from Legacy's implementation?

No. ZDoom's 3D floor code is actually built on ZDoom's portal code.

kb1 said:

2. Does the ZDoom implementation have some of the same rendering bugs, or any rendering bugs? If so, does ZDoom render them better than Legacy?

Yes, there are rendering bugs with 3D floors in ZDoom, mostly related to sprites; which are sometimes incorrectly rendered over the 3D floor even though they are behind it.

There's a development branch with a different approach for rendering 3D floors, which should fix its bugs and limitations (i.e. allowing sloped 3D floors) but it hasn't been worked on for over a year.

Soundblock said:

Until I've seen this implemented with playability the skeptic in me will keep imagining that overlapping sectors might wreck havoc with the AI's pathing? Are there any new maps out there that apply these new features well, and also achieves good gameplay?

Try ZDCMP2, it has a ton of 3D floors.

Can i do 3d floors in zdoom(doom in hexen format) in regular doom builder? Also using regular zdoom.

Solid Snake said:

Can i do 3d floors in zdoom(doom in hexen format) in regular doom builder? Also using regular zdoom.

Yes, as long as you use Hexen format or UDMF.

Solid Snake said:

Can i do 3d floors in zdoom(doom in hexen format) in regular doom builder?

Yes, but (unlike in GZDoomBuilder, I think) you won't see them in the editor's 3D mode.

scifista42 said:

Yes, but (unlike in GZDoomBuilder, I think) you won't see them in the editor's 3D mode.

I think it's possible to see them in the DB 3d mode using some sort of "extension", but I forgot what it was. But yeah, GZDoom Builder is the best option.

Solid Snake said:

Also using regular zdoom.

That's fine, so long as the floors aren't sloped.

I found the sector 3d floor effect but when i apply it anywhere and start the game im immidetly stuck. Are there any tutorials on how to make 3d floors?

Gez said:
Try ZDCMP2, it has a ton of 3D floors.

pk3 file containing a big folder system and no instructions on how to get it to play. I'm sure its easy when you know how, but looking under the hood I can't even find any maps in the zdcmp2 mapwad...

Loading PK3s is no different than WADs. A simple way is to just drag and drop.

As for the map, it's inside the maps directory (zdcmp2.wad).

Thanks GreyGhost, I've watched all his videos so these must be pretty recent

Blue Shadow said:

Loading PK3s is no different than WADs. A simple way is to just drag and drop.

As for the map, it's inside the maps directory (zdcmp2.wad).

I get an error message when I try to load the pk3 with zdoom.exe:

"
Windows 7 (NT 6.1) Build 7601
Service Pack 1
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "GAMEINFO" line 2:
Expected identifier but got string constant "The ZDoom Community Map Project II" instead.
"

Perhaps I need a newer version of ZDOOM? The zdoom.exe I have was created 21 september 2012...

EDIT: Yepo, it works after I tried loading it with ZDoom 2.7.1. Happy days - can't wait to explore and find that hard earned 3D treasure!

DoomLegacy 1.45 was recent released with several fixes to 3dfloor sprite interactions among its several hundred patches. I also has a major change to drawing transparent floors and walls.
I do not remember any current bugs with drawing 3dfloors themselves.

DoomLegacy 1.45.1 will be released (soon) with a patch to 3dfloor sprite interaction concerning seeing sprites through the edge of a 3dfloor when viewing from some locations and angles. This code is committed in the SVN system.

There still remains a bug with corpses and 3dfloor railings.
Sometimes the monster corpse gets partially under the 3dfloor railing
which can make it get drawn too early (and under the 3dfloor). This is caused by the BSP draw order between the railing and floor, which makes it difficult to address without abandoning BSP ordering in the 3dfloor and sprite drawing. Work is in progress for this, but it probably will miss the 1.45.1 release.

There is some demo and help in the Doom Legacy docs.
The wad 3dhorror.wad starts with multiple 3dfloor translucent walkways
stacked over each other. The player must fight their way up.
The wad rainbowstar.wad is a DoomLegacy demo that has several variations of 3dfloors in it. It is available from Doom Legacy somewhere.
Try here: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/docs/editing.html