Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CRTFTW

Anybody know of some big ol' eye candy WADs?

My hell maps suggestion thread had a ton of success (to me anyway) so now I'm coming back to you fine folks in the hope that you can lead me to some big eyecandy maps. Preferably ones that are just one or three huge maps as opposed to a megawad or something. The Eye was a great one. Another I played was one in this huge demonic church. Unloved was a good one too. The kind of maps that make you stop and go "Damn! That looks great!" Then you eat fireball because you were too distracted to dodge. (or, in my case, because I suck at this game.)

I'll play just about any good eyecandy map that's suggested. Even if it's gimmicky. Unless it's one of those cityscape levels from the middle of Doom2. Never quite liked those. Got lost too much as a kid, left a bad taste in my mouth from then on.

If anyone knows the name of that huge evil church/cathedral level, lemme know. That one was massive and just full of awesome things.

Thanks for reading, everyone!

"The Temple of Verdance" by Pottus is huge, well-detailed and very, very green. Cribs heavily from the stuff that Huy Pham does and took me about 2 hours to play through back when I reviewed it, IIRC. Here's a link.

The aforementioned Huy Pham (Doom Marine) is a great one for these too.

The deus vult maps are hard to top for eye candy, but if you don't mind slaughter maps its worth checking out combat shock 2 and sunder for some impressive visuals. For less slaughterish stuff Putrefier and Winter's Fury are quite pleasing to look at, zdoom community project 2 is pretty impressive in scope, and definitely worth keeping an eye on Velapax for some ridiculously intricate maps.

Hell Ground
Hellbound

Almost any modern Boom wad works, too.

Didy released Monster Hunter Ltd (Part 1) and Monster Hunter Ltd (Part 2) this year. Both are supreme eye candy. I really enjoy Lainos's solo works, like Doxylamine Moon: Overdose (a cityscape) and 5till L1 Complex (a base tucked into the wilderness). Object 34 is also pretty kewl. Hanging Gardens is a badass Skillsaw map and is just elegant in its simplicity. Plasmaplant is another eye candy level, rendered in the color blue, and from Sverre Kvernmo of Master Levels / Eternal Doom fame. I also think that Voodoo Guns and Frozen Time, both from Eternal, are worth a look. VG has a sort of Steampunk / Wild West feel that I'd love to see more of. FROZENT is notorious for slowing down computers due to its faux-3D bridges.

In addition to what's been mentioned already, I've drooled over the visuals in Crucified Dreams ever since it was released. It's a DM set, but the visuals are top-notch.

There are actually a ton of things I could mention in this thread, but I'm far too lazy :P

- Doom the Way Id Did, 1 and 2.
- Whispers of Satan
- Community Chest 1, 2 and 3
- Alien Vendetta
- Hellcore

Crasger said:

- Community Chest 1, 2 and 3

CC4 had a few very pretty levels as well.

I have yet to play most of these suggestions but so far, Sunder* and Deus Vult 2 stand out to me.

*Strange, I can't find Sunder on Doomworld search.

Crasger said:

- Doom the Way Id Did, 1 and 2.

Definitely not what's being asked for here. Most of WoS won't count either.