Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

old skool DOS

hey what are some good old skool DOS based RPG's, similar to the older final fantasy games. i would really like to find a few. also what about other great DOS games, mostly side scrolling, but others will do. i am looking for game dateing 1989 to current

There are always the Ultima and Wizardry series', If you want to spend the rest of your life in front of your machine.

Ah, sidescrolling and 2D games, my area:

Commander Keen (all)
Abuse
Jazz Jackrabbit
Bio Menace
Halloween Harry (Alien Carnage)
Blackthorne
Prince of Persia 1 and 2
Lost Vikings
Aladdin
Lion King
Duke Nukem 1 and 2
Megaman 1 and X
Super Star Wars
Rayman
Flashback
Out of this World
Hocus Pocus
Cool Spot
Crystal Caves
Rollin
TMNT: The Manhattan Missions
Simpsons Arcade Game and Bart's House of Weirdness
Mystic Towers
Captain Comic
Marooned on Mars
Paganitzu
Dangerous Dave
Aldo's Adventure

I'm sure there's others.

Old PC RPG games aren't my area. But adventure
games like Space Quest, King's Quest, Police
Quest, Quest for Glory (Hero's Quest) and Leisure
Suit Larry are great.

I think my faves are Abuse, Prince of Persia, Blackthorne and Jazz Jackrabbit.

Assmaster said:

Flashback is one of the best games ever made imo.

Agreed, truly amazing. I had a PC and an Amiga version. Dunno where either is now.

The cool thing about Prince of Persia was the main character's animation. A friend of mine swore it was all done based on one of the developers younger brothers rolling around in the garden and generally messing around, translated into a small animated character.

Not quite what was being asked for, but I loved the Eye of the Beholder RPG series, especially EOB1 and 2. They got it pretty far wrong with EOB3 IMO. A bad game engine and a dull plot, but I still rate 1 & 2 very highly, and sometimes play them even now. In a similar vein (and more originally too I suppose) is the original Dungeon Master. Originally for the Atari or something like that, it was quickly transferred to the Amiga, but left way to long before a PC version was done. By which time it was out dated, but still good fun.

Although it's a puzzle game and not a plain old side-scroller, try to find a copy of Lemmings. Im sure I dont have to explain anymore.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Secret of Mana
Legend of Mana
Contra Hardcorps
Gunstar Heroes
Megaman 1-9
Megaman X 1-6

If I could sneak scrolling shooters in there like Guardian Legend or Einhänder I would. =)

Then again, I don't think anyone's really answering this guy's call for a Final Fantasy-like 2D DOS RPG. If it has to be DOS get SNES9X, UNIVBE, ff5j.smc, the ips by rpge and lose a few years of your life.

Oh yeah, and Blackthorne kicks both Flashback and Prince of Persia right in the taint. There's a DOS version of that, although Nosferatu (a similar game but better than all the others combined) is SNES only.

Assmaster said:

Flashback is one of the best games ever made imo.

You guys talking about the flashback that was on Genesis/SegaCD, or some earlier version?

Death Television ruled =)

For the love of god I can't live without Jazz anymore, someone needs to do something so I can play it on winxp with sound! something needs to be done! I'm dieing!!!!

My friend showed me this one game on Telnet called Legend of the Red Dragon, and she kept me up one night until 11:30 when I was supposed to be doing a project.

Oh fucking well.

Flashback was on pretty much every 16-bit system back in the day as well as PC. I've never played the Genesis or SNES versions, but I had it on the Amiga. When I got a PC I made sure it was one of the first games I got for it. It's a really cool game. Never managed to get the sequel, Fade To Black tho :( Out Of This World (known as Another World down here in Australia) was pretty kewl too. IIRC they did a sequel for it but it was only released on the SNES.
Karateka is kewl. Jordan Mechner sure did have a flair for the cinematic (Jordan = creator of Prince Of Persia for those who don't recognise the name). I wonder what he's up to nowadays.

Actually the Out of this World sequel (called Heart of the Alien) never came out for the SNES. Or else I would've picked it up. It came out for the Sega CD packed in with the first game. You played as the brute instead of the guy from the first one.

Assmaster said:

Although it's a puzzle game and not a plain old side-scroller, try to find a copy of Lemmings. Im sure I dont have to explain anymore.

Hm, I liked it at first, but then it got repetitive and it was particularly annoying that there wasn't a proper save function instead of that crap with codes that would only be given once you completed the map.
I only had very few games back then so I kept playing it over and over - made it halfway through the second hardest difficulty and completed the first three maps on the hardest difficulty and that was as far as I got.
Anyone completed the full game?
Does it say anything funny when you complete it?

Ultimate Demon said:

No way man! Super Metroid is far better than Flashback

I haven't played Flashback, but Super Metroid fucking rules.

Can't wait for the new one on GameCube...

Ultimate Demon said:

No way man! Super Metroid is far better than Flashback

Super Metroid was pretty awesome, but Flashback actually had an ongoing plot. Also, I liked the "normal guy" feel of flashback. It made me care more about the character. Who gives a damn about Samus?

Super Metroid sucks. Period. One of the most overrated games of all time.

Liam the Bard said:

Super Metroid sucks. Period. One of the most overrated games of all time.

Uhh you suck.

Super Metroid is the second best game ever. That is a fact and not an opinion.

Fredrik said:

Uhh you suck.

Super Metroid is the second best game ever. That is a fact and not an opinion.

Super Metroid is fucking boring. It's like completing a big maze pulled from the world's biggest child's activity book ever, except there's a boss here and there. The entire game I was thinking "shouldn't I be doing something"? By the time I was 3/4ths through it I was so fucking sick of it I couldn't stand to finish it, so I deleted the rom.

o cmon people, dont tell me you forgot about one must fall(the one with the numbers). that is the best game ever. i played it with my brother for a year strait and didnt get bored.

kain said:

o cmon people, dont tell me you forgot about one must fall(the one with the numbers). that is the best game ever. i played it with my brother for a year strait and didnt get bored.

call it best game ever and can't remember the names?! 2097!!! that along with jazz makes me want to go back to 98, and I knokw that sounds ridiculous. Anyone got any help for me?

Super Turrican 2 is pretty fucking good, just a slight bit too frustrating at points. I like the music of Super Turrican more though.

Super Metroid, on the other hand, is one of the best video games ever fucking made. I can't believe I forgot to put it on my first post on this here thread.

The gameplay is damn perfect, and it focuses on exploration. I never had as much fun mapping out a planet as I did with SR-388.

The finale begins, IMO, when you find the broken Metroid container... and when you find the mutated pup it really hits you that the pirates are just fucking bastards.

And it attacks you and almost kills you, but the last thing it heard from you before it was ripped away was the alarm of your suit, and it stops just in time, realizes what it did and runs away crying.

The way it's set up is at least as good as Half-Life at telling a story without directly following it, and at least I've been able to play through Super Metroid 5 times and still find it enjoyable.

i loved metroid II, it kicked so much ass and is ranked next to doom for me. never got to play super metriod