Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Doom [4] reveal first impressions

Are the shotguns made of wood like in classic Doom? I'm really glad to hear that "sprinting" means Classic Doom sprinting and not Modern Military-Shooter sprinting. Is there some kind of stamina meter for sprint? I hope not, because that would mean we probably couldn't have autorun. Also with this melee thing, this doesn't mean it includes that stupid modern game standard of Press B to perform a quick melee attack without changing weapons, does it?

The shotgun looked contemporary, but cool. I think the player could run as long as he wanted. Fatalities were contextual, from what I could tell, rather than involving a QTE.

It seems like the new COD also has a jetpack ability...now all the retards are going to complain that Doom 4 is ripping off COD...even though Doom did it before the new COD was announced...fuck this.

DooM_RO said:

now all the retards are going to complain that Doom 4 is ripping off COD

How will the Doom franchise ever go on without the support of the crucial CoD demographic.

Better pack it all in, cause n1njaICP420swaggg over on youtube says that Doom is done.

SuperflyJohnson said:

How will the Doom franchise ever go on without the support of the crucial CoD demographic.

Better pack it all in, cause n1njaICP420swaggg over on youtube says that Doom is done.

This isn't about the COD fans. This is about the people who could lash at the game for the thought that Id MIGHT have taken something from CoD, even though we've only just heard that COD will have jetpacks. It's the internet so it's possible.

Are the melee executions and set piece events like the arm ripping off for keycard taking place in first person? Or do they cut to a third person camera like in Brutal Doom?

I'm not even okay with kill cams, the only games I was fine with kill cams in were the last two Fallout games because they were meant for them unlike Doom games.

GoatLord said:

There were never any cuts to third person at any point during the demo.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

So I know the demo focused mostly on combat mechanics, but my question ties more into overall gameflow.

Did the environment interaction you saw lean more towards the slick touchpads from DOOM 3, or the more hands-on first person lever pulling animations in modern games? I imagine the part with the commander's arm must've had some of the latter?
My main concern is that those animations are often used to suck the player into a scripted event or area transition where you're grappling with an enemy or somesuch.

the Chuckwagon said:

So I know the demo focused mostly on combat mechanics, but my question ties more into overall gameflow.

Did the environment interaction you saw lean more towards the slick touchpads from DOOM 3, or the more hands-on first person lever pulling animations in modern games? I imagine the part with the commander's arm must've had some of the latter?
My main concern is that those animations are often used to suck the player into a scripted event or area transition where you're grappling with an enemy or somesuch.

This is something that annoyed me in Wolfenstein. If used in small doses it's ok but if used for pointless stuff then it becomes tedious.

Yeah, Wolfenstein used that alot and the artificial nature of it always pulls me out of the experience, although there was enough flair to the whole thing that I don't exactly hate it in retrospect.

It just blows my mind how well D3 nailed that one aspect of gameplay despite the actual combat in that game being sort of a wash. I guess I can see why that approach hasn't been used outside of idTech4 games in the past decade though, since most of the development in that period has gone into the contemporary military stuff.

Was there an element of ammo conservation? Was ammo plentiful or not? Was the player forced to switch weapons because of lack of ammo?

Mrs. Nesbitt said:

Are the shotguns made of wood like in classic Doom?

As I recall, the pump shotgun looked like something you might expect from a futuristic sci-fi shooter: sleek, black and grey, easily identifiable as a shotgun, but slightly more 'futuristic', if that makes sense. The DB shotgun had a very classic look to it in terms of shape, and I believe it had a wooden stock.

DooM_RO said:

Was there an element of ammo conservation? Was ammo plentiful or not? Was the player forced to switch weapons because of lack of ammo?

Not that I remember. The player never seemed to run dry, but I don't recall there being ammo sitting around everywhere either.

Without trying to sound like a dick, a lot of these questions being asked in the last few pages have already been answered elsewhere in the thread.

William Blazkowicz said:

a few questions:

-Could you fire when running?
-Is there 'stamina'?
-Are there cutscenes?
-Number health and armor?
-Any keys or exploration in the maps?

- Yes, the player was doing this constantly.

- I'm 99% sure there wasn't.

- No, with the possible exception of at the very end of the demo, where the Cyberdemon appeared. It very much seemed they worked this in specifically for the purpose of the demo, though.

- What do you mean by this?

- Not sure about keys, but the player DID unlock doors by other means (the severed hand, for instance). The maps seemed very ripe for exploration, but the guy playing the demo didn't do much of that.

DooM_RO said:

And Watch Dogs.

Not to derail the thread by quoting a post from two months ago, but the disappointment of Watch Dogs doesn't compare to the abortion that was Colon Marines.

Caffeine Freak said:

- Not sure about keys, but the player DID unlock doors by other means (the severed hand, for instance). The maps seemed very ripe for exploration, but the guy playing the demo didn't do much of that.

Could you please elaborate? Lots of shooters have areas that seem ripe for exploration but more often than not they are just closed doors.

So how is the blood in this game? Is it bright red like in the originals or brown red like in modern games?

GoatLord said:

It had a darker, realistic hue/shade to it. It was not the fucking spray mist that pervades most shooters.

Everything you and Caffeine Freak say indicates to me that the developers are taking a lot of ballsy decisions on this game. Would you agree with that?