Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Onslaught Six

Secret levels: What are my options?

Working on a vanilla compat (or maybe limit removing, not sure yet) Doom 2 level set; the intention is for it to not be very long, maybe capping out at 10-12 levels. I want to have at least one secret level but I obviously can't have it exit from MAP15.

What are my options? I know I can use MAPINFO (and the derivatives thereof) but that still won't work in, say, Boom. Is there a DEHACKED option I don't know about? Or am I just screwed?
Rearranging the maps themselves to work around MAP15 won't work either because one of my maps relies on MAP07 behaviour.

No such DEHACKED option. You're indeed screwed - unless you don't mind to have a secret map accessible only via cheating / warping to the secret slot.

Well, you can have some placeholder maps somewhere between MAP07 and MAP15, but players won't be pleased.

You can give keen death special (open doors tagged 666) to any monster type. maybe that will allow you to place map07 in another slot.

Grain of Salt said:

lol, there are loads of ways to have pre-map15 secret levels in complevel 2 :0)

Lol, what are you talking about? :)

The most obvious example being: on the final regular map, the normal exit is "W1 Exit (goes to secret level)" a second, hidden exit is "W1 Exit". Looping back to an old map at the end of a project lacks a certain elegance, but really any ending to a mapset with less than 30 maps is going to be a bit unceremonious, so I doubt it really matters.

There are at least two more, but you'll have to wait for me to finish the project I'm using them in :))))

Grain of Salt said:

but you'll have to wait for me to finish the project I'm using them in :))))

well color me curious...

Make a credit map after your "final" map and hide an exit in it. That's what I'm going to do.

purist said:

Make a credit map after your "final" map and hide an exit in it. That's what I'm going to do.

Stuff like this isn't so much of the solution I'm looking for; I mostly just have an already-made level that's being merged into this project that happens to already have a secret exit.

At this point, I think I'll just trash it and put the secret level in normally.

A helpful reminder

Along with the Wolfenstein SS and Keen actors you can replace with other things, there is also a deadlostsoul actor.

You could double up on a map slot, which would technically just be lots of optional secret areas with a second exit and both would lead to the same next level.

You can do something similar and make the hidden map only reachable in certain difficulties or in co-op

You could hint at both the above by putting a clue in the automap name.