Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fellowzdoomer

Why Does PrBoom Crash When I Do This? - [SOLVED BY A NICE FRUIT (plums)]

So, whenever I'm bored, have free time and/or have a severe case of mappers block, I like to remake some DooM maps that I've played. I've been remaking E1M1 recently (cause: Free time + Mappers block), and I have a problem. I made the nukage pit where the armor usually is deep. No problem there, but when I add GRNMAP, the map crashes when I pick the skill level.

This is the map in question. Can someone find out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

(P.S. don't worry, they'll be a way out of the pit.)

You don't have any colormaps in your wad. If you want to use Boom's built-in colormap, use WATERMAP.

edit: Also I think your colormap texture has to be on the lower texture, to get it to work with a fake floor transfer. That's not what's causing the crash though.

You change any instance of GRNMAP or BLUMAP or whatever in your wad to WATERMAP.

You are crashing because your wad doesn't have entries called GRNMAP or BLUMAP in it, but you are trying to use those. WATERMAP is the only colormap entry you can use in PrBoom without needing to actually include it in your wad.

It should display as green under a slime flat. You only need it on the linedef that has the type 242, on the lower texture.

Guest Unregistered account

It's weird, I once played a downloaded Deathmatch wad with almost no recognised textures - and instead of crashing, it replaced the textures with HOMs and the flats with some kind of plain white tile with "No texture" written on it. :/

EDIT: Oops, misread. :P

For what you're doing, the only thing you need from editutil is colmaps.wad, so as long as you have some DOS tool to manage wad resources (NWT I guess?) you should be OK.

I guess you could also run it as a resource wad, i.e. boom.exe -file mylevel.wad colmaps.wad

Well, this is odd. I extracted colmaps.wad and my map using DeuTex, and reassembled it. PrBoom crashes when I use the merged wad alone, but adding the wad from deutex path runs it. Maybe in the txt file I should say it requires this wad?

Did it extract the markers C_START and C_END? Those are important. Post the merged wad if you want and I'll look at it.

I created blanks of C_START and C_END, named it STOPCRASHINGFORGODSSAKE.wad then ran it.

It actually listened and works as intended. Now the water pit (replaced nukage.) Is blue as hell! Thanks again Plums! I owe ya 2.

Would you like to see the results? (I'm missing 2 secrets + exit.)

Fellowzdoomer said:

I created blanks of C_START and C_END, named it STOPCRASHINGFORGODSSAKE.wad then ran it.

It actually listened and works as intended. Now the water pit (replaced nukage.) Is blue as hell! Thanks again Plums! I owe ya 2.

Would you like to see the results? (I'm missing 2 secrets + exit.)

Glad it works. And sure, let's see it.

Nice little map. Still feels a bit rough, though - there are troopers stuck in the wall in the first area, some weird floor texturing on some steps, a few doors seemed to not work (maybe you know about these, it is a WIP after all...) with a bit more polish it would be pretty good, if not especially original.

Did an FDA for fun, don't know if you can play it but it should work with boom.exe if you want to watch:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1290032