Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

SMOOTH DOOM [UPDATE 4/14/20]

Hmm. I guess this forum longer indicates when a post was edited. Before I asked, I looked at the OP and it looked as if it had never been edited, so I thought it had a three-year-old link.

There was a snafu with the last few updates, all links should be properly updated now, with some minor fixes since the last update. Also, here's a rough mockup of a new Zombieman walk cycle, which hopefully I can finish soon:

2wx6fFZ.gif

I went to download the new version, and it said i already had it. You're not releasing multiple files with the exact same file name, are you? That's a big no-no, and a pet peeve of mine. What if somebody wanted to host Smooth Doom on a server? Some players will likely have a different version of the file from the server, causing all sorts of confusion.

Yeah, unfortunately I never had a naming scheme for different version of Smooth Doom. It was my first mod ever so some early bad habits have persisted. :P SD was never built with multiplayer in mind, though.

Also, another update. Nintendo 64 weapons are coming along well and should be fit for re-inclusion pretty soon. Today's changes are:

fixes:
-black-gloved pistol now plays the new animation
-fixed wonky physics on blue/green blood
-fixed several issues in monsters-only version

changes:
-disabled zombieman "jawless" variant because it looks silly
-the "kill all" function no longer spawns monster gibs for performance reasons

On 10/18/2017 at 3:00 PM, Gifty said:

SD was never built with multiplayer in mind, though.

I'd really appreciate a multiplayer version so when playing co-op with friends everyone can have smoother animations. Think you can give me some tips on what to remove from the mod so that I can get it working properly in Zandronum 3.0? Seems like there wouldn't be much to take out.

EDIT: Seems that the version from 10-10-2017 works fine in Zandronum, at least without any errors. The error it gets with the latest version (10-17-2017) is ...

Script error, "SmoothDoom.pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 89:
Expected string constant but got '+' instead.

Edited by ∞Phantasm

Hi! Wow! An update! I'm sorry that it took so long, I've been doing a lot of other things lately. THE DOOM64 WEAPONS ARE BACK (ALL OF THEM THIS TIME!) although in the continued effort to clean up the giant mess that is Smooth Doom's code/assets dump, I've disabled custom glove colors temporarily until I get things back on track and make new sprites.

Also of note: I've decided to stop maintaining the "monsters only" variant of the mod, because A) it was very poorly and haphazardly maintained in the first place, and B) I realized that I could clearly comment the master DECORATE file for you guys, so that if you want to disable any part of the mod, you can do so by commenting out the relevant lines in there and make the changes easily yourself!

Changelog:
-invincible spectre bug should be fixed
-gore is very slightly gorier
-statusbar is more widescreen friendly
-The full Doom64 weapon skinset is now back in improved form!
-glove colors are temporarily disabled while I get sprites together/clean up code
-rather than maintaining a "monsters only" version (which was poorly maintained anyway), I've clearly commented the DECORATE master file to easily allow people to enable/disable whichever parts of the mod they want

Wow, I left a lot of issues in that version I released last night. I put up a hotfix today fixing these things:

-fixed plasma rifle fire animation
-fixed Doom64 weapon pickup sprites
-fixed lots of tiny weapon state issues (glove skins, 64rocket bobbing, etc)

The plasma gun animation was driving me nuts.wad! Thank you for fixing my favorite gameplay wad. 

When holding fire down on the plasma gun for 1 second it starts flickering between the doom 64 sprite. You fixed the rapid recoil problem though.

Do you know what your weapon settings are? I can't seem to reproduce it.

Also, wouldn't you know it, I'm picking up some more issues with this thing. Second hotfix coming soon.

I'm using the doom classic weapon set in the smooth doom menu. It's running in gzdoom 3.2.5 (latest) (I reproduced the problem in older versions too)

The persistent problem is: When firing for more than 0.7 or so seconds with the classic doom plasma gun the sprite is replaced by the doom 64 plasma gun sprite every other frame.

This has to be one of my fave Doom mods of all time ^^. You modernized the game in a subtler way then say Brutal Doom, yet it still is as much worth praising as that one. And THANKS for taking the Doom 64 weapons back, I really missed them :'). Keep up the good work, never abandone this mod, please...

I realized that I could clearly comment the master DECORATE file for you guys, so that if you want to disable any part of the mod, you can do so by commenting out the relevant lines in there and make the changes easily yourself!

Uhm, how exacly you do that? Sorry, I'm kinda new to all this ^^'

In Slade, you put /* in front of what you want to comment out, and */ at the end of the part you want to comment out. Everything in between those will be treated like a comment and not executed as code.

Found few bugs(don't know why,but I think that I'm using older version)

-D64 Rocket Launcher sprite shows with Classic Weapon Set(when shooting - shows Classic)

-BFG sprite offsets jumping when shooting

-Baron of Hell and Hell Knight spawning green AND RED blood when gibing

Screenshot_2018-01-15-10-24-06.png

Screenshot_2018-01-15-10-24-44.png

Screenshot_2018-01-15-10-24-35.png

I found some too, in the new version: the super shotgun (64 version) didn't make any sound when shooting. I dunno if it's because I used the give weapons console command to have it, and/or if it's limited to just the D64 version; either, it should be fixed :/

Edit: I confirm; it's thD64 ver. who does that, not the classic one

Edited by MattGuy1990

Another thing: I liked the classic fire effect when shooting guns better on D64 weapons, rather then the original one (not that I hate it). Is that something you can still modify by commenting with SLADE?

Another stupid hotfix hopefully fixing my stupid mistakes. :P

-fixed SSG64 sound
-fixed rocket launcher sprite issue
-fixed missing bob states for 64 plasma rifle

On 1/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, MattGuy1990 said:

Another thing: I liked the classic fire effect when shooting guns better on D64 weapons, rather then the original one (not that I hate it). Is that something you can still modify by commenting with SLADE?

You can definitely edit that with SLADE, it's a little harder than commenting out certain lines, though. You can compare the DECORATE files for the classic, and 64 weapons against each other to see how they differ, then all you'd have to do is change the D64 weapons to be more like the originals.

Just found out about your mod, Gifty! I know it's a bit late to say all this, but I really like how simple and indeed smooth this mod is. I like it for not making all those needless alterations that Doom Expanded did, and for not being as cluttered as Beautiful Doom is. 

Then again, it would be really cool to have all those alternative deaths that DE and BD have and this mod doesn't as of yet. BD now has a total of 4 animations for hell knight/baron deaths (and that's not even counting that mod's "enhanced deaths and gibs" mode), while Smooth Doom still only has one regular and one gibbing death for knights and barons. That's kinda weird, as since your smooth animations were borrowed by BD, you must have made all those sequences anyway, amirite? All deaths are smooth in BD, and Smooth Doom isn't using many of those sprites. I really like some of those deaths that BD has but Smooth Doom doesn't, and it's gonna bother me now, because I'd rather stick to Smooth Doom for its simplicity and predictability. But I also really like the most variety possible when it comes to alternative deaths. Are there any plans to increase the number of non-gib death animations?

BD definitely has a lot more variety of death/gibbing animations, but I find that a lot of them diverge into their own art style too much to feel appropriate for Smooth Doom, and frankly I find that a lot of them look kind of halfassed and wonky. I'm pretty anal about keeping everything as close to the original ID feel as possible.

14 minutes ago, Gifty said:

BD definitely has a lot more variety of death/gibbing animations, but I find that a lot of them diverge into their own art style too much to feel appropriate for Smooth Doom, and frankly I find that a lot of them look kind of halfassed and wonky. I'm pretty anal about keeping everything as close to the original ID feel as possible.

Ok, but then there are also those that date back to Doom Expanded (and probably earlier, no idea who made those). I never felt those alternative baron deaths clashed with the ID style, personally. Same with the alternative Mancubus death where it falls on its back for example. But I guess you've got your vision and all :P

@Gifty: Nice mod! Hey, at one time, weren't you talking about adding a "melt into the nukage" death effect? Did that ever happen? Didn't you have a GIF of it posted? I remember it looking kinda slick!

If you weren't able to finish it, I'd love to play around with any old frames of that effect, if you have any, and wouldn't mind.

5 hours ago, kb1 said:

@Gifty: Nice mod! Hey, at one time, weren't you talking about adding a "melt into the nukage" death effect? Did that ever happen? Didn't you have a GIF of it posted? I remember it looking kinda slick!

If you weren't able to finish it, I'd love to play around with any old frames of that effect, if you have any, and wouldn't mind.

Yeah, and that would probably warrant a similar animation for lava deaths. Plenty of work with that though, I'm sure :<

As for alternative deaths, I really only miss some variety on the monsters that don't have it. Given how many non-gib death anims there are for zombies and imps, this mod could reaaaaally use some for other demons, all of which are already available from Doom Expanded, Beautiful Doom etc. Personally, I'd be super happy if there was just one more non-gib death variant for the Demon, Mancubus, HK/Baron and Revenant. I think both the alternative deaths for HKs and Barons feel pretty natural and shouldn't clash stylistically at all if incorporated (the one where they split apart from the face and land with a V-shaped opening in the coprse, and the one where they just fall to their backs with one arm over their body), same with the Mancubus "ribcage" death anim and the one where the Pinky falls on its face with a hole in its side. What do you think?

I've got example screenshots for those alt-deaths it would be nice to have in this mod someday.

Demon:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_104722.png

This is a pretty old sprite dating back probably to early 2000s. Of course in Beautiful Doom a lot of mirroring is used, so you also have this sprite facing the other side, but I personally think that's a rather lazy and forced way of adding variety, and entirely unnecessary. I think the one facing right was the original one from way back when, and I think it looks the best out of all the available alternatives, which tend to either be weird, or too derivative from the vanilla sprite.

Baron/Hell Knight 1:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_104903.png

I remember this one clearly from Doom Expanded. In BD, I'm pretty sure the animation is very smooth too - not sure if your iconic smooth effect was achieved by creating more sprites or by some tinkering with the code (since you're not using this one for example), but I think it looks pretty in-universe, and would be very easy to integrate. (this might be the mirrored version though since BD mirrors pretty much everything, not entirely sure though).

Baron/Hell Knight 2:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_105005.png

Another one from DE, this is probably the least gory end for the Baron or Hell Knight. Still, it would be nice to have this one in, though I'd say sprite number 1 should have priority, since this one feels more underwhelming (not in terms of quality, but in terms of damage to the corpse). Still, it's perfectly presentable and doesn't look wonky in any way, so I'd be happy to see it in. Perhaps you could give one of these exclusively to the baron and one to the HK, in addition to their current sprites? That would help differentiate them a little bit more from each other. Then again, both of them having all 3 animations + the gibbing one wouldn't be bad at all either. (this one might be mirrored too - daaarn, shoulda taken those screens using DE I suppose! :P)

Mancubus:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_105335.png

This is  the sprite where the Mancubus topples on its back instead of on its belly when dying, providing a logical contrast to its vanilla death. I think I also recall this animation all the way from Doom Expanded, so it must have been made a long time ago. I think it would add the right kind of aesthetic variety to Fatso. 

Revenant:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_105503.png

This revenant death is a nice alternative to the regular one - though admittedly it looks a bit like your own gib death, except there's more of the corpse left. For that reason I think if there's any other alternative available, perhaps it would be better to choose that. I'm not sure there even is one though and even still, that's the only reservation I have, because this animation and sprite look really good anyway and would help relieve the problem of so many identical revenant corpses in maps where there are many of them. The vanilla sprite also fails to portray any damage to the revenant other than it being felled, so I really wouldn't mind having this sort of visual variety in. 

Also there's one other thing I've noticed, and it's regarding imps. Since you yourself said that you're trying to stay as close to id's style as possible, I think that to taht end, one of your imp deaths was not the best choice. I'm talking about this one:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_103414.png

I see a few problems with this death: the weird and rather unrealistic resting position of the corpse, the neck not being pronounced enough (looks like the imp's neck is actually wider than its head, the opposite of which is true in the official sprites), also the fact that it doesn't feel necessary, because it looks too similar to this one, which I think feels much more id-like and logical:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_104403.png

Here we can see that the imp has a narrow neck thanks to the blood trickles that flow down in a sensible way alongside the recesses of the neck. For this reason I'd like to suggest removing that first death, and in order to keep the number the same, replacing it with this one, which I saw in BD:
Screenshot_Doom_20180630_104229.png

It's a real good death, showing the imp falling down on its front, really well-animated too. Of course BD usses mirroring, so there are left-facing and right-facing variants available, and frankly I'm not sure this time which one's the original. Intuition tells me the right-facing one is the legit one though, so that's what I took a screenshot of. This death really does look better than that wonky one (however popular it might be, which I do realize :P). The only downside of this here sprite and animation might be exclusive to BD and therefore copyrighted by Ash. Not sure if that's the case, but I haven't seen it anywhere outside of BD, so I'm just assuming.

So yeah, with these additions and changes, I'd pretty much stick with Smooth Doom forever and never look back. These are of course all personal opinions, but I think many fans might agree with me (hope so at least), so please discuss these suggestions and whether you think there should be a place for them in Smooth Doom.

Edited by Xfing

Yeah, I don't know. I appreciate the work you've put into giving feedback to the mod, but we're probably not gonna agree on the finer points of which sprites do or don't feel appropriate, so we might as well leave it at that!

On 6/29/2018 at 8:18 PM, kb1 said:

Yes! I was working on this for Smooth Doom and made some good progress, the problem was I never put the time in to do melty animations for EVERY alternate death and skin that I crammed into SD, so I kind of painted myself into a corner there. :P Would still like to incorporate it, but for now it's incomplete.

I DO have a bunch of finished sprites on my hard drive, which are zipped below if you want to mess with them (or use them for anything, which is fine too!). A simpler, but working version of the "melty" system is currently in my other mod, Dead Marine, if you want to actually see it implemented in motion.

Melties.zip

6 hours ago, Gifty said:

Yes! I was working on this for Smooth Doom and made some good progress, the problem was I never put the time in to do melty animations for EVERY alternate death and skin that I crammed into SD, so I kind of painted myself into a corner there. :P Would still like to incorporate it, but for now it's incomplete.

I DO have a bunch of finished sprites on my hard drive, which are zipped below if you want to mess with them (or use them for anything, which is fine too!). A simpler, but working version of the "melty" system is currently in my other mod, Dead Marine, if you want to actually see it implemented in motion.

Melties.zip

Neat, thank you! Yeah, I remember seeing it and thinking that it looked very, well, smooth! I didn't realize that it was to be custom for each monster - that would be a lot of work.

I've always thought that it was kinda cheap of id software that the monsters could bathe in nukage, but the player burns up. But, it almost has to be that way, otherwise the AI would have to know how to navigate around nukage, which would be way more advanced (and slower) than what's there now.

With Melties, you can assume that the monster's "nukage protection" stops when they die, which allows them to melt into the nukage.

On 7/2/2018 at 7:42 PM, Gifty said:

Yeah, I don't know. I appreciate the work you've put into giving feedback to the mod, but we're probably not gonna agree on the finer points of which sprites do or don't feel appropriate, so we might as well leave it at that!

Sure, these were just proposals. I wouldn't mind in the slightest if you chose other sprites, the most important point is that the demons I gave as examples are suffering from a painful lack of alternative death sprites. They really could use some, and I think deep down you do agree on that. The thing is, I'm wondering whether you simply don't think there are ANY alternative deaths available from online resources that you deem good enough to work with. Is that it?

On 7/8/2018 at 6:04 AM, Xfing said:

Sure, these were just proposals. I wouldn't mind in the slightest if you chose other sprites, the most important point is that the demons I gave as examples are suffering from a painful lack of alternative death sprites. They really could use some, and I think deep down you do agree on that. The thing is, I'm wondering whether you simply don't think there are ANY alternative deaths available from online resources that you deem good enough to work with. Is that it?

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Gifty is trying to say 'no' to you in the nicest way possible. You know, you could always make a custom mod yourself, that does exactly what you're asking. This being a ZDoom mod, most of the work is already done for you, in the form of already-written DECORATE code, and pre-compiled sprites in the various 'alternate-death' animation mods out there. It would mainly be an exercise in Cut and Paste, with perhaps a line or two of "DECORATE glue" code to allow branching into a randomly-chosen death animation.

I'm sure you'd find people that enjoyed it. I would give it a try. You could learn a new skill, make a fun mod that you could release and be proud of, and you'd open the door to more complex modding capabilities. And, finally, you could build it exactly how you wanted it, with only the animations you like. It's something you might want to consider.

19 hours ago, kb1 said:

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Gifty is trying to say 'no' to you in the nicest way possible. 

Be that as it may, what my feedback boils down to is that while some demons have plenty of alternative deaths, others don't have any (except gibbing), which creates a discrepancy. I'm just suggesting that maybe, just maybe, giving more death anims to demons who lack them would be a worthwhile addition to the long-term agenda of this project. If Gifty disagrees, that's fine.

1 hour ago, Xfing said:

Be that as it may, what my feedback boils down to is that while some demons have plenty of alternative deaths, others don't have any (except gibbing), which creates a discrepancy. I'm just suggesting that maybe, just maybe, giving more death anims to demons who lack them would be a worthwhile addition to the long-term agenda of this project. If Gifty disagrees, that's fine.

Can't argue with you there. It would be great to have more death animations, in any project, especially projects that focus on custom deaths and extra gore. I was merely suggesting that, because it is of interest to you, you might want to consider trying your hand at making it, which brings with it some nice benefits.

Maybe someday I could try. I'm kind of an anti-talent when it comes to coding, afraid as hell to try too :x