Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

SMOOTH DOOM [UPDATE 4/14/20]

Yes I know !! , I tried starting from smooth doom to upscale the frames inside the mod but unfortunatly I couldn't make it work!

7 minutes ago, Gifty said:

Currently they don't work together since Smooth Doom adds a lot of extra frames which haven't been upscaled. I really want to find a way of combining the two, but that'll definitely be a long ways off!

Yes I know !! , I tried starting from smooth doom to upscale the frames inside the mod but unfortunatly I couldn't make it work!

I have a process to upscale the frames but it could be expensive , maybe I will give it a try and send you the upscaled frames of one monster so you can test it inside the smooth doom mod and if it works , I will think about upscaling what remains.

in the future I will write you again

Okay am I doing something wrong ? every time I have downloaded this and try load it up it just gives me this error 

error, "SmoothDoom (1).pk3:deco/monsters/zombieman.txt" line 47:
Expected string constant but got '+' instead.

Can anyone here help me out? i am using Zdoom.

3 hours ago, Jdangerousdinosaur said:

Can anyone here help me out? i am using Zdoom.

just use gzdoom. zdoom is no longer actively developed. in display options you can use a software renderer to have the game look exactly like zdoom did.

1 hour ago, zzzornbringer said:

just use gzdoom. zdoom is no longer actively developed. in display options you can use a software renderer to have the game look exactly like zdoom did.

Yep! What he said.

hey, just a minor bug report.

when you play doom 1 (or use the doom.wad) and you use the idkfa cheat while having the doom 64 sprites enabled, you'll get the super shotgun. it shoots but it doesn't have any sound. (i suppose you're not supposed to have it, because it's doom 1 anyways)

also with the doom 64 sprites, dunno if intentional or not, but the pistol does have a little bit of screenshake (or recoil) when shooting. i have recoil disabled in the options, so, might be a bug.

Would it be possible to get a version of this that only adds smooth animations for monsters?

If you go to the main DECORATE file, all the content in the mod (weapons, monsters, items etc.) is neatly divided into different components. Simply comment out (with double slashes //) the parts of the mod you don't want to use, for whatever your compatibility needs might be.

Another quick bugfixer patch, link in the front page as usual:

changelist:

-light goggles have new, totally sexy animation
-fixed zombieman not dropping rifle when gibbed
-fixed chainsaw/SSG gib options conflicting with each other
-smooth Doom no longer replaces keys
-fixed issue with Doom64 shotgun showing PC muzzle flash
-fixed erroneous frame in black SSG firing animation

-monster rebalance mutator:
    *spider mastermind has lower painchance
    *enemy fireball projectiles are now slightly faster

Edited by Gifty

there's another small bug. i'm not sure what exactly caused it though.

there was a dead zombieman laying on the stairs. it seemed to have collision, because i couldn't get up the stairs where the corpse was. there also were some bullet casings that may have caused this. i don't know. 

That's really strange, I squashed a zombieman collision bug a couple patches ago, can't think of why it might still be happening. Were you running any gore mods/were there any other actors around? I know I've been having a little bit of collision trouble with nashgore sometimes, in similar situations.

18 hours ago, Gifty said:

That's really strange, I squashed a zombieman collision bug a couple patches ago, can't think of why it might still be happening. Were you running any gore mods/were there any other actors around? I know I've been having a little bit of collision trouble with nashgore sometimes, in similar situations.

no other mods. the only actors around were the zombieman corpse and pistol bullet casings.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:49 PM, Gifty said:

Huh. And you're sure you're using the latest version?

actually, no. i thought i did but the version i used was from april. so, that was probably the bug you already squished.

edit: with this update frequency, it may be useful to add a version number. easier to keep track which version people use.

Edited by zzzornbringer

I'm unfortunately having some compatibility issues. I'm using a weapons mod that edits the player class name which gives me "no player class defined"; and I don't use the rifle in it, so I had to remove all the item and powerup stuff from my mod with // and disable the zombieman smooth txt from your mod.

Weapon mods/different player classes are going to be difficult without disabling some bits of Smooth Doom, you'll want to comment out the weapons sections in the main DECORATE file, and delete the KEYCONF file, as that defines a new player class. But again, crossmod compatibility with SmoothDoom can be kind of a nightmare since it's a general enhancement.

It's update day again. More bugfixes, and some nice additions from fellow mod steward Almonds!

-fixed black pistol always firing casings
-fixed cacodemons always firing fast projectiles
-fixed pinkies not biting fast with -fast tag on
-further tweaked recoil values, cleaned up recoil code
-plasmaball wall decal changed from "impball scorch" back to original
-improved Doom64 Shotgun animation (Thanks, Almonds!)
-reinstated kickback for the Doom64 SSG, as it is in the real port (Also Almonds!)

Soo hey! Just a quick question, are there any further graphical upgrades planned? More gib death anims or such?

the zombie variant has been removed ? or it is just me ? can't find in the options section

On 8/12/2019 at 8:52 AM, elden4 said:

the zombie variant has been removed ? or it is just me ? can't find in the options section

if you're talking about the shotgunguy and zombieman head variants, yes, they have been removed, because it was too much effort to change all of the variants when the original spirtes were edited. something along those lines. statement from author can be found here somewhere.

EDIT: Click here to go download something that actually works: 

==============================================

==============================================

Hey there. I really like using brightmaps, and since Smooth Doom's are far from completion I decided to make some myself. While I made brightmaps for every enemy (with the exception of the lost soul; I like its fullbright look), weapon, item and decoration that I thought needed some, please bear in mind that these were based on an old version of the mod. My copy is probably a year old or so, which means some frames might have been changed or renamed.

Enemy, weapon and decoration variants do not have any brightmaps. This is only vanilla stuff.

DOWNLOAD

In case you're wondering why on Earth I didn't use Smooth Doom's latest version as a base, it's because I'm using a modified version I made which fixes some pet peeves I've got with the mod. Using the latest version would've required me to redo all of those changes for not much gain, and I intended this to be for personal use anyway.

Also, for the love of god, please do not ask me to change anything. This took ages to make (and about 1200 frames) and I don't feel like messing with it ever again. That said, you are free to do whatever you want with these. If it's too broken with the latest version maybe you can still salvage something, I don't know. If you come up with some use for them, then go ahead. Don't even ask me.

Edited by KVELLER : New thread

Wait, Smooth Doom brightmaps are not complete? Hmm.... I'll check out your wad, I really enjoy brightmaps and would love to use them.

EDIT: Uh, how do I load this in the best way? There's a glitch in the Shotgunner's face, where he kind of "blinks" with his face.

Edited by elend : A Question

6 minutes ago, elend said:

Wait, Smooth Doom brightmaps are not complete?

They are not. If you open the latest version with SLADE, you'll see a "STORAGE" folder which contains the avaliable brightmaps, as well as the corresponding GLDEFS lump and a CHECKLIST lump detailing what's done and what isn't.

10 hours ago, KVELLER said:

They are not. If you open the latest version with SLADE, you'll see a "STORAGE" folder which contains the avaliable brightmaps, as well as the corresponding GLDEFS lump and a CHECKLIST lump detailing what's done and what isn't.

You should upload the version of Smooth Doom for which brightmaps is made. Otherwise, of little use.

3 hours ago, Doomenator said:

You should upload the version of Smooth Doom for which brightmaps is made. Otherwise, of little use.

The only thing I have is my modified version, but the changes aren't drastic in any case. Just a couple cosmetic things.

I don't know if I should be redistributing modified versions, but I have no problem with uploading it if @Gifty is ok with it.

13 hours ago, elend said:

EDIT: Uh, how do I load this in the best way? There's a glitch in the Shotgunner's face, where he kind of "blinks" with his face.

It should be loaded after Smooth Doom, I suppose. Still, it's likely that some of the frames were modified or renamed, like I said in my original post, and the brightmaps will not work correctly if either the lump names or offsets aren't the same.

16 hours ago, elend said:

here's a glitch in the Shotgunner's face, where he kind of "blinks" with his face.

I had same issue when I loaded it with BTSX because of custom palette I guess.

Tiny update today:

-fixed shotgun flash being shortened when recoil is enabled
-fixed pistol having incorrect recoil with bobbing enabled
-improved all tall torch animations
-improved bullet puff effect
-improved megasphere animation
-fixed herky-jerky Plasma Rifle recoil

How am I the 14th person to like the main post? I should be the 114th person! @elend is right that you're doing heroic work!

P.S. I did some upscaling of some Doom 64 weapon sprites from this mod.