Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

SMOOTH DOOM [UPDATE 4/14/20]

@Gifty is there any chance you could provide the acs sources? I'd like to make this run on my doom engine but my acs implementation is incomplete right now. Thx

This has become my go-to mod for features since Doom Enhanced has been long abandoned and it keeps getting better, though there are a few DE features I'd like to see carried over-

* Lost Soul's unique pain sounds

* Revenant homing rocket's unique sounds- but preferably not the annoying constant beeping DE used, though some sort of audio indicator

* gibbable gore decorations- shooting hanging legs, torsos, heads on spikes, etc would mangle them into blood. I didn't seem to notice that feature here. Admittedly in DE it's one of those features that could turn a game into a laggy mess the more it sprayed decoration from both objects and enemies(the worst offender I can demonstrate is Doom 2 Reloaded's "no attack" level where the crusher flattens every Arch-Vile at once. In DE the game almost totally freezes from the extra gore effects being produced in part because the amount of blood produced is almost to comedic absurd levels), but I can fire a rocket into a crowd in SD without the lag of numerous blood particles that I often got in DE so this issue already seems mostly averted- and features can be disabled so there's always that if things are a problem.

* The extra rotation angle sprites for various objects- health, ammo, etc

Any chance to see in the future items and monsters sprites of Doom 64 along with the already "smoothed" weapons as a gameplay option (like the weapons)?

13 minutes ago, lowenz said:

Any chance to see in the future items and monsters sprites of Doom 64 along with the already "smoothed" weapons as a gameplay option (like the weapons)?

I would love Doom 64 smooth monsters! But it's also a lot of work to ask for; we can put it on our xmas wish lists. :D

That sounds promising, although I cannot see any screenshots?! And the videolink wants me to sign into YouTube, which I cannot at the moment from my PC here. But that's what I am talking about, one day - possibly with the help of AI - we'll have a Smooth Doom with 16 rotations even. :D

Better still, neutral networks are starting to accomplish the same task. I have seen some preliminary work creating animation frames to interpolate 60fps.

So, finally watched that video.

This already works way better than I expected. It actually looks really good. Only minor touch up needed, if you provide the program with good images. I think it'd work nice with Doom's sprites. Especially if they only need one extra frame. Exciting.

Now I'd love to see interpolated rotations. :D

On 11/30/2019 at 10:49 PM, elend said:

So, finally watched that video.

This already works way better than I expected. It actually looks really good. Only minor touch up needed, if you provide the program with good images. I think it'd work nice with Doom's sprites. Especially if they only need one extra frame. Exciting.

Now I'd love to see interpolated rotations. :D

Just use it with RotSprite and you'll be good.

I've tried a lot of ways to try and "comment" out some parts out of the mod to disable it, yet it always ends in an error. So just to be certain what exactly do I need to change? Mod's dope though.

11 hours ago, Fancier said:

I've tried a lot of ways to try and "comment" out some parts out of the mod to disable it, yet it always ends in an error. So just to be certain what exactly do I need to change? Mod's dope though.

Hi! Depending on the part you're trying to comment out, it can require a couple of extra hoops. I haven't done a really good job of indicating that in the documentation, but fortunately it's all pretty easy stuff. If you're trying to remove monsters, for example, you'll have to also delete all the monster assets in the SPRITES folder after you comment out their code, because even without that code the sprites will still be overwriting a lot of the game's original assets. If you comment out all the weapons you'll also have to disable the PLAYER.txt file, and remove some files defining the player character in the mod.

I feel like people must not actually play this mod or else someone would have noticed that the BFG gives you ammo when you fire it:

BFGG G 2 bright A_FireBFG
				tnt1 a 0 a_giveinventory("cell",256)
				tnt1 a 0 a_refire

Hmm, I tried it now and when I shoot it uses 40 cells per shot. How many cells should it use actually?

40 is the correct amount. I just downloaded it again and it's definitely there. Maybe this is really recent? Looks like code that was in there for debugging and got left in. Also, looking further, it looks like it probably won't happen if you're using the doom 64 weapons, maybe that's why it doesn't happen for you. I just removed those two lines in my local copy and that fixed it.

EDIT: Yeah, doom 64 bfg works fine. So if people tend to use those weapons then that's why nobody saw this. Actually I think every weapon option except for classic is unaffected.

A quick Quality of Life update for issues lingering in the current version that I made for the GZDoom forums -- I often forget the community is fractured, so I'm posting it over here, too.

This fixes the Cacodemon alternate death animation and the BFG ammo issue that some users with certain settings are encountering.

For those curious, the BFG ammo bug was a very specific scenario where you a) used anything but N64 Doom weapons b) had smooth bob disabled and c) had recoil disabled.  I think that's mostly just people who have Smooth Doom loaded but never changed any options.

This also includes Fast Weapon Switching; it's off by default and can be toggled on from the Smooth Doom menu under Options.

SmoothDoom-2019-09-26-QOL-FWS-2020-01-13.zip

Hi all. It's update day! I had planned to finish a bunch more animation overhauls to make it more of a substantive change, but it's been dragging on for so long I decided it would be wiser to put out a couple small fires first while everyone waits.

changelist:
-Fixed BFG infinite ammo bug
-fixed shotgun muzzle flash BRIGHT tags
-Chaingunner walk cycle redone from scratch
-fixed Cacodemon death bug (Thanks acridAxid!)

I've been experimenting with Interprite, the sprite interpolating utility, and it's been getting some pretty rad results. First thing I'm working on right now is a total overhaul of the Imp. I had planned to include that in this update but it'll be a while longer before the sprite set is completely done.

Edited by Gifty

2 hours ago, Gifty said:

I've been experimenting with Interprite, the sprite interpolating utility, and it's been getting some pretty rad results. First thing I'm working on right now is a total overhaul of the Imp. I had planned to include that in this update but it'll be a while longer before the sprite set is completely done.

Awesome! I have seen some sprite testing for it, and it seems to get most of it right, just some editing required. It's good to have a base to work from than having to start from scratch.

The bug with ssg muzzleflash still appears
P.S.Nevermind,with some pain,I fixed it,the only things I changed is
-Added special muzzleflash sprites(just cut version of frames XTS2W,XTS2X and XTS2Y)
-Removed BRIGHT tag from Fire state(looks like it was the main reason of bug)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1meIBJgVuySubbwQk44veWm_MnDtrE5LT/view?usp=sharing

Edited by D1m3 : Found the ACTUAL reason of bug and fixed it

I was thinking...

Why not extend Smooth Doom to incorporate smooth liquid animations for the magma, sludge and water textures and skybox effects for Earth, Mars and Hell i.e. moving clouds and hellscape effects? If you really wanna go for that high quality arcade look where everything's moving with a lot of frames.

Smooth Doom is awesome but then I was looking at the sludge on E1M1 and wondering why it was still three frames, then I looked up at the sky and wondered why it was so still.

Just a thought.

Well, I do have a "smoothtextures.pk3" in my folder and they look awesome. They additionally have this warp thing on them, which makes them look especially smooth and trippy in "fake vanilla mode". Of course hard to see on a screenshot, but yeah...

Unfortunately I am not sure where I got smoothtextures.pk3 from?!

screenshot_doom_20200l0jo3.png

On 12/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, Gifty said:

Hi! Depending on the part you're trying to comment out, it can require a couple of extra hoops. I haven't done a really good job of indicating that in the documentation, but fortunately it's all pretty easy stuff. If you're trying to remove monsters, for example, you'll have to also delete all the monster assets in the SPRITES folder after you comment out their code, because even without that code the sprites will still be overwriting a lot of the game's original assets. If you comment out all the weapons you'll also have to disable the PLAYER.txt file, and remove some files defining the player character in the mod.

Hi, sorry if this feels like beating a dead horse but I have zero knowledge with Slade and when I try to remove monsters' smoothness by deleting the #include lines in the Decorate.txt and by removing the Monsters folder from the Sprites folder and launch the game, not only the monster's smoothness is gone but also the monsters are gone, so I'm wondering if you, or someone around here that has the knowledge, would be kind enough to explain step by step how can I disable the smoothness of monsters or/and effects the right way, without breaking the game like I have been doing since weeks due to my ignorance.

Edit: Nevermind I discovered how, basically by undoing the replacing of the smooth actors in many text files from the Deco folder I was able to reverse all the smoothness except for the weapons, I'll leave a link to the edited .pk3 file if anyone is interested, of course I'll remove it if the original creator of the mod wants it deleted.

Edit 2: I found 2bugs when disabling smoothness via commenting out in the Decorate.txt file as well as replacing the new actors with the originals: Barons of Hell and Shotgunners doesn't show their vanilla shooting and melee (Baron) animations, they just stand there but the attack takes effect, so I don't know if there is an issue with the code or if there is something that I'm doing wrong.

Edit 3: Ok big thanks to Gifty, he told me another workaround, just by deleting the Sprites folders (well I didn't delete the weapons folder just in case) and commenting out monsters and effects just to be sure now the all the sprites runs in their vanilla settings except for the weapons, and the HUD, couldn't figure out how to disable the last without glitching DoomGuy's face

Smooth Weapons only

Edited by MasterBuller : Info addition

I slightly tweaked the DECORATE and MENUDEF code for Smooth Doom to run with ZDoom 2.8.1, runs with LZDoom as well

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CxavnajyJcG7RaBXUVWWUMaAYKsJUMUf/view?usp=sharing

Bonus: the fix for chaingunner to have the same firing sound and fire rate as the player

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MGp25sX8ladRdQ5b4Ij7AT6gwSDx7x5A/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Zodomaniac : Minor fix

On 11/24/2020 at 10:30 PM, hooth00t65416 said:

Does anyone here knows what would I have to modify to make this compatible with Reikall's Doom Voxel pack?

Here is an updated version of Reikall's Doom Voxel pack modified to work with Smoothdoom:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqb-vLqkzj-0qn95mJLrahppwetD?e=XZkmS6

reikalldoomvoxels-smoothdoom.7z

Edited by BKIIKilla : Wrong file version uploaded

Is there a way to disable effects that don't have anything to do with smooth animations? Like the extra blood particles for instance.

7 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Is there a way to disable effects that don't have anything to do with smooth animations? Like the extra blood particles for instance.

Well, of course. To remove extra blood particles you can ask the author to add options to the mod settings menu, but the easiest way is just edit the file gore.txt etc.