Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

SMOOTH DOOM [UPDATE 9/25/19]

@Gifty is there any chance you could provide the acs sources? I'd like to make this run on my doom engine but my acs implementation is incomplete right now. Thx

This has become my go-to mod for features since Doom Enhanced has been long abandoned and it keeps getting better, though there are a few DE features I'd like to see carried over-

* Lost Soul's unique pain sounds

* Revenant homing rocket's unique sounds- but preferably not the annoying constant beeping DE used, though some sort of audio indicator

* gibbable gore decorations- shooting hanging legs, torsos, heads on spikes, etc would mangle them into blood. I didn't seem to notice that feature here. Admittedly in DE it's one of those features that could turn a game into a laggy mess the more it sprayed decoration from both objects and enemies(the worst offender I can demonstrate is Doom 2 Reloaded's "no attack" level where the crusher flattens every Arch-Vile at once. In DE the game almost totally freezes from the extra gore effects being produced in part because the amount of blood produced is almost to comedic absurd levels), but I can fire a rocket into a crowd in SD without the lag of numerous blood particles that I often got in DE so this issue already seems mostly averted- and features can be disabled so there's always that if things are a problem.

* The extra rotation angle sprites for various objects- health, ammo, etc

Any chance to see in the future items and monsters sprites of Doom 64 along with the already "smoothed" weapons as a gameplay option (like the weapons)?

13 minutes ago, lowenz said:

Any chance to see in the future items and monsters sprites of Doom 64 along with the already "smoothed" weapons as a gameplay option (like the weapons)?

I would love Doom 64 smooth monsters! But it's also a lot of work to ask for; we can put it on our xmas wish lists. :D

That sounds promising, although I cannot see any screenshots?! And the videolink wants me to sign into YouTube, which I cannot at the moment from my PC here. But that's what I am talking about, one day - possibly with the help of AI - we'll have a Smooth Doom with 16 rotations even. :D

Better still, neutral networks are starting to accomplish the same task. I have seen some preliminary work creating animation frames to interpolate 60fps.

So, finally watched that video.

This already works way better than I expected. It actually looks really good. Only minor touch up needed, if you provide the program with good images. I think it'd work nice with Doom's sprites. Especially if they only need one extra frame. Exciting.

Now I'd love to see interpolated rotations. :D

On 11/30/2019 at 10:49 PM, elend said:

So, finally watched that video.

This already works way better than I expected. It actually looks really good. Only minor touch up needed, if you provide the program with good images. I think it'd work nice with Doom's sprites. Especially if they only need one extra frame. Exciting.

Now I'd love to see interpolated rotations. :D

Just use it with RotSprite and you'll be good.