Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gifty

SMOOTH DOOM [UPDATE 4/14/20]

1 hour ago, elden4 said:

I was thinking about merging the neural upscale animation with smooth doom or neural upscaling the Whole smooth doom pack.

what do you think? it will take lots of time in my opinion...

I tried Neural Upscale with Beautiful Doom, and I think once with Smooth Doom, and the explosions would have sprite conflicts and the monster sprites would override neural upscale. Same with the smooth weapon animations. I think it would be a lot of work, but it would have a pretty cool result:)

1 hour ago, Beezle said:

I tried Neural Upscale with Beautiful Doom, and I think once with Smooth Doom, and the explosions would have sprite conflicts and the monster sprites would override neural upscale. Same with the smooth weapon animations. I think it would be a lot of work, but it would have a pretty cool result:)

well, what I really would like to do is to produce something like this https://www.geek.com/games/classic-doom-screenshot-undergoes-8-day-hd-remaster-in-photoshop-1540067/ and then create a "smooth doom" pack but until now it really takes a lot of time... but I will keep studying on how to build a sort of "know how" about doing it fast

Edited by elden4

well, i personally am a purist. so, i enjoy the pixel look. honestly, i tried the neural upscale for doom but i didn't really see a huge difference. the gzdoom filter options create similar results. but overall i prefer the original pixel look. some things could be cleaned a bit, like for example some of the weapon sprites have some ugly pixels in them. other than that, i personally don't care that much about the neural upscale but i still think it's very interesting what you can do with ai computing. 

Update day! There are probably still some goblins running around in the mod but hopefully this will put some fires out for some folks. The rifle also has a new set of sprites that's closer to the Doom Alpha look.

changelist:
-disabled monster variant skins for now
-added more gore variation (all optional)
-zombieman Rifle mutator now works through a death-state DECORATE check and no longer requires a level restart to change
-fixed "glove toggle" plasmagun error
-fixed "glove toggle" super shotgun error
-fixed super shotgun not properly displaying black gloves when idling
-fixed cacodemon gibs having some red blood
-fixed shotgunguy dynamic lights
-fixed 64 pistol displaying PC sprites when bobbing
-fixed shotgun firing rate deviating from vanilla
-fixed SSG firing rate deviating from vanilla
-improved cacodemon attack animation
-improved BFG firing animation/recoil
-improved Rifle sprites
-spider mastermind now has BRIGHT state when firing

3 hours ago, Gifty said:

Update day! There are probably still some goblins running around in the mod but hopefully this will put some fires out for some folks. The rifle also has a new set of sprites that's closer to the Doom Alpha look.

Has the MediaFire link been updated cuz it still shows the upload date as 2018-12-18? But I tried the Google Drive one and the issue with the Doom 64 weapon set seems to be fixed:)

Oops! Forgot that I even had a mediafire link. Now that you mention it, I think I'll actually remove that mirror and just go straight through Google Drive from now on. People seem to report far fewer problems with that platform than they did with mediafire.

RIP mediafire mirror. Over the lifetime of the mod you garnered over 100,000 downloads!

Edited by Gifty

BTW, not sure if I've asked you about this, but does this at the moment incorporate the minor sprite fixing patch?

EDIT: Ok nvm, I can see that it does. So another question: what alt deaths were added in the latest update?

Edited by Xfing

I tried searching this topic and other forums. Really dumb question and probably has a really simple answer. I saw this issue also posted on ZDoom but they didn't post on any one of your forums. 

I have blinking shotgunners. Here take a look:

Hi! That should be fixed in a recent update, are you sure you're using the most recent version of the mod?

4 hours ago, Gifty said:

Hi! That should be fixed in a recent update, are you sure you're using the most recent version of the mod?

Yes thank you so much. Wow that was a really recent update too. Thanks for keeping this mod alive!

On 5/3/2019 at 11:49 PM, Odorousbag87 said:

Yes thank you so much. Wow that was a really recent update too. Thanks for keeping this mod alive!

A better question would be - how are you able to open all those missions from within a single executable? Is that some feature of a port? Please let me know :D

2 hours ago, Xfing said:

A better question would be - how are you able to open all those missions from within a single executable? Is that some feature of a port? Please let me know :D

They're using Wadsmoosh!

Thanks a lot! 

Sooo, back to the previous question. Are there some alternative death anims addeed in the latest update? I played quite a few levels but I wasn't able to notice anything new.

2 hours ago, Xfing said:

Sooo, back to the previous question. Are there some alternative death anims addeed in the latest update? I played quite a few levels but I wasn't able to notice anything new.

I thought the Imps falling forward animation was added in this last update or the one before it?

Ok, I used this to get the official wads, but for some reson NRFTL and Master Levels aren't getting added to the selection menu. What should the wad names be for those (sorry for asking in this thread)

8 hours ago, Xfing said:

Ok, I used this to get the official wads, but for some reson NRFTL and Master Levels aren't getting added to the selection menu. What should the wad names be for those (sorry for asking in this thread)

Just so we don't derail the thread, I have sent you a PM.

Hey boys and girls! Update day. Smooth Animations 2.0 continues; many of the powerups have been redone from scratch, and the Baron walk animation looks way better now! Hell Knight will follow soon.

Also of note: there's now a general monster rebalance mutator, similar to what's found in Beautiful Doom etc. It makes the game a little tougher without increasing monster health, it simply makes your margin of error a little thinner. You can read about it below!

-New animations for the following items:
   *green armor
   *blue armor
   *soulsphere
   *Arachnotron ball

-"fast pinky" mutator has now morphed into broader "monster rebalance" mutator; this is toggleable mid-game and no longer requires level restart. This mutator changes the following:
   *pinkies move faster
   *barons of hell now exhibit "Lord of Heresy" attack behavior
   *lost soul health reduced by about 30%
   *many monster projectiles move slightly faster
   *pain elementals explode on death

-total redo of Baron walk animation
-slightly tweaked Pistol animation
-finished shotgunguy walk rotations
-further improvements to particle system
-most particle and gore effects have now been grouped under their own respective toggle switches, to consolidate the features in the options menu and make it easier for users to disable non-vanilla stuff they don't like
-further improvements to gore effects
-fixed bizarre zombieman physics bug
-fixed plasma impact being messed up by particle toggle
-fixed small discrepancy in Pinky pain ticrate
-fixed the black glove shotgun cutting off on certain HUD setups (thanks, Sgt Nate!)
-fixed longstanding issue of baron/knight attack animation being out of sync with their projectile (attack animation still needs second pass)
-lowered intensity of most screen rumble effects
-more accurate Baron/Knight blood color
-removed arachnotron alt death because it looked silly and bad
-removed Duke-style explosions (sorry!)
-added option for chainsaw to gib enemies

Edited by Gifty

But I did like the Duke-style explosions. T_T Other than that, sounds great. Thanks for continuing effort to improve what is my all time favourite mod.

Going to put this in the two thread. But I got a weird glitch that I thought would amuse you. Pretty much this happens and only happens to Archviles. This also only happens when I run Neural Upscale+Smooth Doom. I can't figure out which mod it might be. But if I run Neural Upscale before Smooth Doom this happens but the enemies are normal size. If I run Smooth Doom before Neural Upscale then the zombie men wideout when they shoot. Didn't know if there was a conflict between the two mods. 

Update day! The dreaded #shotgungate should be over now.

changelist:
-better color translation for green gore
-reworked shotgun animation for accurate ticrate and better audio sync
-fixed shotgun decal error
-fixed "monster rebalancer" breaking the pinkies in -fast mode
-fixed wacky zombieman collision bug
-smooth doom no longer replaces STBAR
-fixed black glove SSG having weird frames on recoil
-lowered volume of casings

why not use ESRGAN to upscale the texture to x2? It looks awesome in the NeuralUpscale mod, I would think it would look awesome here too. 

Also if SmoothTextures cause problems with TNT or Plutonia, do you want them reported here?

Edited by 22_deathgrip

On 5/23/2019 at 7:05 AM, Odorousbag87 said:

Going to put this in the two thread. But I got a weird glitch that I thought would amuse you. Pretty much this happens and only happens to Archviles. This also only happens when I run Neural Upscale+Smooth Doom. I can't figure out which mod it might be. But if I run Neural Upscale before Smooth Doom this happens but the enemies are normal size. If I run Smooth Doom before Neural Upscale then the zombie men wideout when they shoot. Didn't know if there was a conflict between the two mods. 

in

NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95.pk3.zip

delete

decorate.dec

Hotfix: 

-fixed zombiemen dropping two clips
-caco gore now makes bouncy sounds
-fixed cacodemon blood color
-fixed bugged chaingunguy firing

just another question , reading above is it possible ot use the neural upscale with smooth doom?

as smooth doom has more frames how could that work?

please let me know, thanks!

Currently they don't work together since Smooth Doom adds a lot of extra frames which haven't been upscaled. I really want to find a way of combining the two, but that'll definitely be a long ways off!