Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

What are the most beautiful maps you've played?

Exactly what the title says. Now, this is NOT about levels that generally "look good" or are overdetailed. I'm not talking techbases or Gothic Deathmatches or anything like that.

I mean levels that literally made you stop, and think, and wish you were there.

Any types of levels. But, as mentioned earlier, no levels that look good simply in the sense that they have good architecture (although, if it's really, really spectacular, it may be acceptable or trimmings around every single room.

Most of these stem from being "realistic" maps. That is, levels that replicate something you'd see in real life.

Well, here's mine (that I've played so far, NOT in order):

1. Epic 2 - Level 21: Shore Dream
After escaping the alien complex, and after a showdown with a mob of Cyberdemons, all is suddenly silent.
You're on the shore of a sandy beach, with a calm sea, and it's night time. The beach is illuminated slightly by the stars. Beautiful music is playing.
After exploring the caves, you stumble upon some ornate houses (with dead bodies :D) and a small blocky pyramid.
Masterpiece.

2. Earth - Level 1: The Ruins
What better level to start off a 10-map wad that's super-tough? This is one place I'd want to go.
You start off on a wooden platform with a railing, looking down upon the waves which crash realistically against the rocks.
Exploring the short cave reveals a set of pillars and ruins, as well as another cave and what I guess must be some kind of temple.

3. Freedoom - Level 10: Untitled
This level is still in development - and mappers are taking over after the original designer quit. Why?

After the gruelling Map09, players would find themselves teleported to something new.
There's literally nothing like this in the rest of Freedoom, and it's a shame. It's some kind of agricultural jungle/forest area with rivers and streams, rocks, caves, grass, hills and a lot of trees.
It also has fairly tough gameplay - try to find a way to the SSG and conserve bullets as you battle enemies (mainly Orb Monsters).

--------------------------------------------

[EDIT] (because I forgot):

4. Alien Vendetta - Level 20: Misri Haelek
Does anything need to be said? It's one of the most famous custom Doom maps!

As soon as you start, you're facing a looming pyramid surrounded by desert, Egyptian structures and a well-made (if slightly small) sphynx. The inside of the pyramid is super-tough and many people find beating it on Ultra-Voilence all but impossible. Dare you brave the traps and mystery of the Misri Haelek?

5. Swim with the Wales - All of it!
It's a Boom map. And it's beautiful.
It's blue, it's intricate and it's... well... it's hard to say the least. (I literally cannot beat the second level)

You should get it.

This happened to me a lot as a kid in maps that are now considered fairly legendary. Doomcity, Earth, and Hellrun (for doom 2) all blew my mind with both their intricate visuals and fun levels.

Not so amazing for new players maybe, but man, those are some fun and well-aged levels. I recommend them to anyone.

joe-ilya said:

That thread is pretty old. Time to start fresh!

DOOM II : MAP14 , UDOOM E4M3 , Doomkid's marine megawad , AV MAP21 , KSUTRA MAP18 , suspended in dusk MAP01.

I mean levels that literally made you stop, and think, and wish you were there.

Any types of levels. But, as mentioned earlier, no levels that look good simply in the sense that they have good architecture (although, if it's really, really spectacular, it may be acceptable.

Most of these stem from being "realistic" maps. That is, levels that replicate something you'd see in real life.

Arcadia Demade - if you don't consider it realistic or spectacular (maybe?), you at least have to admit that the wad is somewhat "beautiful" - regarding its tenseful atmosphere and feel that detracts from Doom's feel quite a lot, but the result is awesome.

I totally agree about Earth map01, but I usually get this feeling from really otherworldly maps: Swim With the Whales and Stardate 20X6, Kassman's levels and The Grotto from CC4, Misri Halek, Padma (map21 from one of the later 1024 projects), the frozen levels in Whispers of Satan.

joe-ilya helpfully posted:
Maps in megawads that blew you away

Argh! Everyone's already done threads I have amazing ideas for!

No. There's no "Things About Doomworld Users You Just Found Out " thread. There's no "Green-Grey Archvile" thread...

(No you can't post my ideas up.)

Almost all of WOS and Scythe2, most of Kama Sutra and Alien Vendetta MAP08, MAP10, MAP20 and MAP23. I'd also add Requiem's MAP24, one of the early masterpieces, and 2002ADO's E3M5, the one which was moved to the E4M9 slot in the 2012's version.

Some AV, Scythe 2 and Speed of Doom maps, Deus Vult map05, Gravity is nice too.

My personal choices are:
Doom raider: Crypt of the vile
Epic 1: Map01, Map02 and Map03
Alpha Invasion-Delta Invasion: DTINV10
Dawn of Reality

I guess that's all, but I feel i'm missing something...

You are actually required to show screenshots in this thread for your post to count.

Already played slogged through that.

I agree. I sure wish I was there.

All of Scythe, Scythe 2, Most of Eternal Doom ........ zzzzzz the list goes on.

Doxylamine Moon: Overdose and 5till L1 Complex, both of which are by Lainos and both are done in a similar style as eachother.

Jenesis MAP10.
12 years ago it would've been the PSX version of Lunar Mining Project from TNT.

Sacrament Map 02, 06, 11 and (especially) 13
Memento Mori 2 Map 27
Alien Vendetta Map 11
Hell Ground Map 4 & 6
A.L.T. maps 11, 13, 15, 22, 24-26, 28/29
Whitemare 2 Map 32
Doom 2 The Way Id Did Map 31
Gravity Map 02
Wonderland Map 5
Plasmaplant
Monster Hunter Ltd Pt 2