Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liam

The /newstuff Chronicles #80

Three worthy new maps have struggled their way out of /incoming and are ready for their week of fame in /newstuff this week.

No Quarter by Will Hackney - - No Quarter is a one level 'teaser' wad for the upcoming Doom 1 PC "Doomed Once More" (DOM), and it runs on E1M3. DOM takes a realistic approach to doom mapping and it shows in No Quarter. You'll find yourself killing hellspawn in movie theaters, soccer fields, swimming pools, and locker rooms as you attempt to take command of a deactivated monorail. There's a lot of both wide-open battlefields and cramped rooms and corridors, and the secret areas are neither too obvious nor too tough. Unfortunately though, there's way more ammo then you need and the map is fairly easy because of it, even on Ultra-Violence. The midi replacement composed by Mark Klem and the new textures were ripped from various other wads. A worthy download.
Xfire by Lee Szymanski - - A single base-themed deathmatch map running on Doom 2 Map01. XFire's circular layout and perfectly balanced weapon placement makes for fair, serious DM action in one-on-one or FFA games. The architecture is also very pleasant to look at, especially considering this is a DM map.
Spone II by Face.uk - - One single-player Legacy map running on Doom 2 Map01. Spone II forces you to blast your way out of an odd steel base packed with chaingunners, lost souls, and revenants. Excellent gameplay; It's very easy to get caught offhand and killed in a matter of seconds, which only helps the map's replay value. Some of the architecture is very interesting, although better use of ambient lighting would've added a little. Requires Doom Legacy.

And the Wicked Shall Perish (wicked_4.wad) was uploaded on 5/2/2002 and did not make it into last week's chronicles. It must have been removed from newstuff before this week, so it didn't make it into this week's chronicles either. Ah, well.

Liam the Bard said:

and the secret areas are neither too obvious nor too tough.

Hah, if anyone manages to find all 11 secrets, I'll be impressed :P

The /newstuff Chronicles #80 (11:59 pm)
General - Posted by Liam the Bard - 4 Comments

Way to go !!!

ReX said:
And the Wicked Shall Perish (wicked_4.wad) was uploaded on 5/2/2002 and did not make it into last week's chronicles. It must have been removed from newstuff before this week, so it didn't make it into this week's chronicles either.

Yes, I noticed it got missed last week, which was one reason I downloaded it myself and reviewed it for DU. A poor substitute for a mention on Doomworld perhaps, but it's better than nothing. Nice level BTW :-)

http://www.cph.demon.co.uk/doom/du/reviews/wicked_4.html

People said:
What's with X problem in the /newstuff today?

I'm sorry but I have to admit it was somewhat of a rush job. The wads in /incoming were moved into /newstuff later than I'd hoped and I had to work faster to get it out on time. I learned later of course that I could've touched it up a little the extra time that whatever crazyassed mail filters ling is using used to eat up all the emails I sent him, but oh well.

Liam the Bard said:

I learned later of course that I could've touched it up a little the extra time that whatever crazyassed mail filters ling is using used to eat up all the emails I sent him, but oh well.

I was visiting my parents and didn't get back until late. Go to hell.

Linguica said:

I was visiting my parents and didn't get back until late. Go to hell.

No, I mean I sent you like 2 or 3 emails and I kept getting emails back saying "Oh well here's your mail back it didn't quite make it for whatever reason very sorry". I eventually had to have Loot send the damn thing.

When I did the reviews the files had yet to be mirrored at in-span, and they still have yet to be mirrored at in-span (go see for yourself).

I just played through "No Quarter". Really cool map. I used JDoom. OpenGL, mouse look, jumping, high res texture pak. Looked really good. Fun map too.

rtz said:

I just played through "No Quarter". Really cool map. I used JDoom. OpenGL, mouse look, jumping, high res texture pak. Looked really good. Fun map too.

Thanks, but I probably should have mentioned in the text file that you're not supposed to jump =)

I like it with the emails instead of text file links. They (should) have the same path as the zip, just replace the extension.

Why the hell would you wanna mail them? I want the text file.. pain in the ass to copy the link to change extention..

<warning> -- the following is the Stupidest post ever. -- </warning>

It's a good review, I liked the first paragraph the best:

"This underwear is build around an unusual layout. The main area of the underwear connecting the major parts together is a broad circular corridor, surrounded ourside by channels of nukage. Doors and bridges lead out from this corridor to different side areas where the underwear is located; the ultimate aim of the underwear being to collect all the cards in order to open the exit at the centre of the underwear. There are nice structural features, windows between areas, and a central outdoor yard which give the underwear a spacious feel."

Don't you feel stupid for reading that whole thing. :)

Opulent said:
I liked the first paragraph the best:

Do we get your version of the screenshot too?