Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

LOST is overtaking the world...

Air Algérie Flight Reported Missing With 116 on Board

Contact with the Boeing Co. MD-83, carrying 110 passengers and six crew members, was lost at about 1:55 a.m. local time, 50 minutes after the jet had taken off, the Algerian government's official news agency said in a statement. "Air Algérie launched [an] emergency plan," the agency added. It gave no other details.
An official at the directorate of Ouagadougou Airport said there had been an incident, "but for the moment we don't know anything more." He refused to give his name because he wasn't authorized to speak to reporters.

http://m.us.wsj.com/article_email/spains-swiftair-loses-contact-with-air-algerie-flight-1406196420-lMyQjAxMTA0MDIwNDEyNDQyWj

Air Algérie lost contact with Flight 5017 after takeoff from Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, as the jetliner headed to Algiers with 116 people on board, Algeria's state news agency and the plane's operator said Thursday.
French Secretary of Transport Frédéric Cuvillier told reporters the plane disappeared over Northern Mali, where Islamist militants are fighting the Malian government and French forces. Numerous French nationals were probably aboard the missing plane, Mr. Cuvillier said.

As a TV show the Lost formula has taken over TV too. Take a town and just have something weird happen with no explanation so people are forced to wonder WHY? That's what keeps people hanging on hoping to have an answer. There are other shows that have weird shit happen to a bunch of people, but then they soon get canceled, because people know why.

geo said:

As a TV show the Lost formula has taken over TV too. Take a town and just have something weird happen with no explanation so people are forced to wonder WHY? That's what keeps people hanging on hoping to have an answer. There are other shows that have weird shit happen to a bunch of people, but then they soon get canceled, because people know why.

But those shows are boring anyways.

doomgargoyle said:

But those shows are boring anyways.

Yeah it drives me nuts. Or 'Last 5 minute shows' where the entire first 55 minutes is boring or full of fluff until the last 5 minutes. I get forced to watch a lot of TV now.

geo said:

Yeah it drives me nuts. Or 'Last 5 minute shows' where the entire first 55 minutes is boring or full of fluff until the last 5 minutes. I get forced to watch a lot of TV now.

Really? I stopped watching TV a long time ago. I dont watch movies anymore either. It's like TV has infected movies too. They're not movies anymore, they're 2hour drama-tv episodes.

Too think these poor plane passengers are now on some Bermuda Triangle island wondering "Why?" episode after episode. Maybe they've become some new survival show for aliens to watch.

Makes me miss the days of X-Files... Oh sure, there were ongoing mysteries, but even then, enough clues would be dropped that you kinda could see where things were going. Plus, there were plenty of self-contained episodes where the mystery would be solved by the end-credits. But I guess X-Files did kinda help solidify that formula of leaving another breadcrumb at the end of the episode so that you'll come back for more.

And this has gone way off-topic from missing airplanes.

Quasar said:

I wonder if it'll mysteriously crash over the Ukraine.

Somehow Russia will probably get blamed for this.

you guys are joking around about the plane crash being like lost or the twilight zone, but it's kinda scary that there are quite a lot of people who have an Alex Jones like mentality and actually think it was thanks to lost or a black hole. At least enough for the scientific community to notice it and disprove it.

geekmarine said:

Makes me miss the days of X-Files... Oh sure, there were ongoing mysteries, but even then, enough clues would be dropped that you kinda could see where things were going. Plus, there were plenty of self-contained episodes where the mystery would be solved by the end-credits. But I guess X-Files did kinda help solidify that formula of leaving another breadcrumb at the end of the episode so that you'll come back for more.

And this has gone way off-topic from missing airplanes.

X-Files disappointed with every one of its ongoing story arcs, though. Nothing ever concluded meaningfully, supposedly-significant story elements came and went arbitrarily when the writers got bored with them, and not a bit of it added up to a damn thing in the end. People don't remember that part, because when a show is on the air for nearly a decade, it's easy to think you just missed all the parts where they actually finished the interesting storyline you caught an episode or two about.

Unplanned seat-of-the-pants writing and mysteries that go nowhere are unfortunately not new phenomenons in TV.

geo said:

I get forced to watch a lot of TV now.

Forced? I would expect some form of compensation for what would otherwise be wasted time if what I'm required to watch doesn't interest me.