Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Imp looks great, and although it looks astonishingly close to the original, I think it needs more musculature and a nice leathery skin texture.

I think it might be better to take some notes from the D64 imp, what with its large, Grey-like eyes and weird skull-like-attached-top-and-bottom-lips-slit-mouth. PC imp face looks extremely derpy.

Don't worry the Imp is still a long way from completion. There will be more muscle definition and skin wrinkles and some leathery texture added. I want to add more detail to his skin, such as some smaller spikes here and there, but I don't want to go too overboard and keep the design clean and uncluttered.

I've changed the face and it looks a lot better, the eyes are more aggressive and the Cat Lips are gone.

I decided to leave the Imp for a while until I'm inspired enough to take it further. I'm just not feeling it right now.

I've started the Baron and have got most of the base detail done, just need to fine tune the proportions and start on higher detail.

I'll post a pic when he's looking a bit nicer.

Guest Unregistered account

Oh my gee. That is the best model ever made in the world so far!!

At first, I wasn't sure about the difference between the models and sprites, but now I see... the light.

It's like the original sprite models have resurfaced (especially that Baron)!

Keep it up.

StupidBunny said:

Looking badass so far! Definitely needs some claws on the hands. The head is excellent.

I agree completely. :)

Thanks heaps for the kind words guys, i promise things will get a lot better, as im still very much a MudBox noob.

I just upgraded to MudBox 2015 and the additional symmetry options are glorious. A huge help to my workflow.

I'm learning new stuff every day and loving it more and more.

Before i sign off for a few days for the Xmas break, here's two more pics of the Imp and Baron in their latest forms.

Imps face fixed and Baron has some claws.

Have a good Xmas everyone and also a safe one!

Imp WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Baron WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Amazing models, the chaingunner and the baron really resemble the 2D sprites. Actually these resemble the sprites more than most 3D models i have seen up to now.

[no highjack intended]
this reminds me, does anybody know what happened to doom Ascension ?
[/end of that]

That Baron's face is absolutely fucking perfect. It looks just like the sketches the original clay model was based upon.

scifista42 said:

No, the classic Imp is better for the classic Doom style, at least I would say so.

Oh yeh,as long as the Project is called "DOOM HD" the IMP is great so far ...

Gotta say that I am really loving this. Baron looks particularly remarkable and as mentioned, the face is absolutely spot on. I'm worried about the imp though, because his muscles make him look a bit…action figure-y? The baron's physique seems much more defined in contrast. The imp is looking mighty close to the original, but I feel like this is one of those things where a bit of artistic license is going to be necessary, in order to bring it to the ferocious level of the baron and the former humans. I'm not sure exactly how that would be accomplished, although giving him more musculature (or less bulk, like the Doom 3 imp), a less saturated skin tone and maybe a less ape-ish head might do it. Just a thought.

I think a little mat wouldn’t hurt. I mean, right now the posture is great, but the skin looks like it was a chocolate. It’s too shiny, too glaring. That’s why, I think, it might look like an action figure.

Dont worry, It's early days yet.

Check out the previous shot of the baron and look how much the torso and arms changed. The Imp will too.

Right now its just a base sculpt to get the proportions right. The Imps probably about 20-30%.

The shiny skin is simply the material in MudBox. I chose it to highlight the face details better. He wont be shiny.

I think the Imp will really come to life once he's textured. Something like really worn skin, like old animal hide. It will make a big difference.

The head is still something im tweaking. I want to capture that original Imp look, but i want a more terrifying look.

It will come together eventually. That's why i moved onto the Baron, because i just wasn't feeling it yet.

Feel free to share some of your favorite Doom pictures here. Character art, renders, concept art etc. Anything that's a Doom character that you love, post it here. It will give me an idea of what other doom fans love, and ill take inspiration from it where possible.

Just after some help with Doom editing.

Been a long long time since I made a Doom map, but Doom Builder is so good it hasn't taken long to pick it up again.

I'm making a map for Doom64EX and I'm having trouble finding a good resource for editing. Is there a site with tutorials or is most of the basics the same as classic Doom and will work?

How do you add fog to sectors?

I posted the same questions on the EX forums too, but it's kinda quiet over there.

Kaiser: check the forums / your inbox.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

You definitely can use the baron model to double as the knight as well, just different skin color.

Getting close now.

Still have a few things i want to do before i start painting on some textures. Once the legs are textured, i can sculpt details over the hair / fur and make it stand out more. Skin folds will be added later as well as other little details here and there.

Just have to sculpt an opening mouth now, as i started with a base model that had a closed mouth and left it too late to add it. i wanted to nail the facial detail, and to do that with an open mouth would be tricky.

He will probably look a bit different once this is done, as he will need to be posed with the mouth open for animation purposes, but hopefully once he's posed, it will look good again.

Back muscle structure was changed to make it look more realistic, as it was too similar to the sprite.

Veins added here and there.

Hooves are about the only part with any high detail

For those curious, his muscle structure is loosely based on Ronnie Coleman.

Baron Of Hell WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Well it was a total absolute bitch to do, but its done now.

The mouth is hollowed out with detail on the inside of the mouth, including a tongue and texture to the roof of the mouth. I'll return to this area later though and increase details here and there, such as grain on the teeth and sharpen up the edges. I'll also add bumps to the tongue and whatever else a mouth needs.

This was the last major piece of sculpting required before i could start fine detailing and texturing.

I think i've learned my lesson now with establishing what is required of my models before i get too invested in the details.

I'm posting a shot of the base mesh i started with. Its just a very basic mesh that has the general shape, something i could manipulate and shape with mudbox's grab tool, then progressively subdivide it and add more and more details once the proportions started to look right.

Not starting with individual fingers or an open mouth is a mistake i wont make again!

This low poly model was actually a model i made many many years ago, back when there really wasn't any 3D models for Doom, in face there may not have been any at all. It was made using Lightwave on my old pentium 200 windows 95 machine with 16mb of ram. Lol.

Baron Base Mesh by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr