Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

The last shot was a bit misleading as the texture on the lower legs was just temporary, but i wanted to get some feedback on how the actual texture itself looked, not where it was applied.

I decided it looked pretty good elsewhere, and when combined with other different textures of hair, it started to look a lot better.

Here' how the legs are looking now:

Baron Of Hell WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

These models are amazing. A lot of monsters yet to do, but I hope you continue

They are extremely good yes, but there is no guarantee they would look like that after being converted to MDx or DMD format and the various maps and such used may not be supported by any Doom port.

They might also have to loose polies simply for performance (I don't think that s13n1 has ever said how many polies are in his models or even if he intends to ultimately use them in game).

I can't say enough positive things about the baron. He looks fucking SICK. Textures are perfect. REALLY looking forward to burnt leathery imp skin!

He is pretty chunky, but the size of the original reference model was exactly that of the original sprite, and has actually been scaled down slightly so he is not as chunky.

I just have one question about that. Are you taking into account that ingame, the sprites are 20% taller than the original graphics? This is because the original 320x200 screen is stretched to a 4:3 aspect ratio, and every good source port since then has followed this convention.

If you haven't done that in consideration, you should scale the models taller before the animating stage, or things will look a bit strange. Only when being exported to sprites should they be made shorter again.

In Doom 64 this does not apply, but sprites you're using from DOS Doom need to be made 20% taller.

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Aspect_ratio

Before i answer some questions, here is the 95% complete Baron:

Doom Baron Of Hell by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

All that's left to do is texture the inside of the mouth and then any further changes will be colour tweaks during the import stage.

I'm still tossing around ideas for the Imp, so i'll be making something else before i finish him.

I know i said i was going to remake Pinky, but the Baron was kinda pink and demony, so i'm kinda thinking about making the Mancubus. Not sure yet.

Vermil said:

They are extremely good yes, but there is no guarantee they would look like that after being converted to MDx or DMD format and the various maps and such used may not be supported by any Doom port.

They might also have to loose polies simply for performance (I don't think that s13n1 has ever said how many polies are in his models or even if he intends to ultimately use them in game).

There is no way of knowing just how they'll look in game till i start importing them. Final colour tweaks to the diffuse map will most likely be needed.

How Doom 3 handles materials is all new to me, ill work it out when i get to that point.

Model formats is not a concern, and forget Doom ports, this is a Doom 3 project.

These models are very high poly, the Baron is 3,358,720 polys, but these are the sculpts. From these, you make a low poly version and bake all the high detail onto it, which is then realized in game with a normal map or possibly even height map.

I was going to subdivide the Baron again and possibly hit the 20-30 million poly mark, but i think the level of detail now will suffice.

Final models will be around 2500 polys. Possibly more, possibly less, it depends on what kind of topology is needed to transfer the details over properly. I'm a a pretty low poly modeler, so i reckon ill be able to get the final count quite low.

I wont start working on the low poly meshes until the very end. That way if i decide to make any changes to the sculpts, i wont have to remake the low poly mesh again.

Captain Toenail said:

I just wanted to pop in and say these are really cool, nice work.

It shows the original concepts can be transformed into 3D and still look threatening.

Thanks, and so true. This is why i decided to stick with the original designs and not do any more Doom 64 stuff. Also, i'm trying to improve them without adding too many new details. I want to try and make them as good as possible and with some realistic details without losing touch with the original designs.

MG_Man said:

I just have one question about that. Are you taking into account that ingame, the sprites are 20% taller than the original graphics? This is because the original 320x200 screen is stretched to a 4:3 aspect ratio, and every good source port since then has followed this convention.

If you haven't done that in consideration, you should scale the models taller before the animating stage, or things will look a bit strange. Only when being exported to sprites should they be made shorter again.

In Doom 64 this does not apply, but sprites you're using from DOS Doom need to be made 20% taller.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio

The important questions is, Do they look strange now? All i care about is the final result. Once all models are finished, they'll be scaled against each other.

The heavy weapons dude was made based on the sprite, and over time i adjusted his proportions till he looked right.

These are easily the best models of the classic Doom characters I've ever seen. Keep up the excellent work!

However, I don't really like the hairy chest appearance that the baron has. I also think his leg hair is a bit too swirly and pronounced, maybe straighten it out and make it shallower.

Sodaholic said:

These are easily the best models of the classic Doom characters I've ever seen. Keep up the excellent work!

Pretty much what he said. They look spot on to the originals.

gemini09 said:

This is the perfect one, IMO. :)

Apart from lacking chest hair, the major difference there is lighting.

There are two types of ambient occlusion in mudbox, regular and Cavity. Cavity really gets into the finer details, like the woolly hair bits, and fine skin bumps.

It helps make details stand out more, but can exaggerate some details.

It will really come down to in-game testing. Sometimes you need to exaggerate details for them to be noticeable in the game.

I do like the lack of chest hair too, as its more original, but i thought it more fitting to add it.

If i get more people disliking it and when it comes time to check it out in game, if its too distracting, ill change it.

Pinky demon has become a really tough guy to nail.

I actually had the above picture done in about 2.5 hours, but ive since spent longer then that just tweaking the face.

Its really hard to capture the most distinctive expression while making it still look good from all angles.

Its not just a matter of loading in a front and side sprite from the same frame, because the proportions and details change as soon as you view from a slighty different angle. In the span of 45 degrees he can go from looking like a terrifying beast, to a lovable pink frog.

I will try to capture the most iconic expression and then tweak it from all angles to ensure it still looks good. But this might mean ever so slightly altering some characteristics, such as the size of the horns.

Holy shit, a pinky model that doesn't look completely terrible.

Also, I think the baron's cat-eye pupils look a little cheesy; they make his face look like something you'd see in Donkey Kong Country.

You know, for some reason the way the 3d emphasizes the model's mouth, it really points out the familiarity between Pinky and Reaper from X-Com.

So this is about as perfect of a representation of pinky as I've ever seen. I'm itching to see how its chest looks, considering how bizarrely huge its mouth is.

Thanks man, it means a lot to hear that.

I'm a huge Doom fan, and accuracy is a big deal for me. There aren't too many models out there I'd be happy to use in the game, because I'd spend too long noticing how inaccurate certain things were. It would bug me too much.

Those original sprites have so much character to them and it's really difficult to capture it or interpret it without messing them up. I'll be spending a lot of time early in their creation to really nail the proportions.

The anatomy of the Doom creatures is something I'm really interested in myself, and I can't help but wonder what they would look like inside.

The demons body is amazing and he is basically a walking mouth. I'd love to make some cutaway models that slice them down the middle and show the bone stutter, organs, brains etc. Like medical journals.

Render some images of them and they'd make some great textures for Lab levels.

The demon will have some abs, but there's not much of a chest so to speak.

I'll post some shots whend he's a bit further along.

s13n1 said:

Is there a way to attach images to your posts or are you limited to hotlinking?

You can't post any kind of attachments on this forum, except for the Speed Demos subforum, where you can only attach zipped Doom .lmp demos. Linking images is the only possibility.

Started the mancubus today.

Sculpt is based off that old model i posted the other day.

Guns were made in max.

Still lots of tweaking left to do.
The arms have not been touched.

Mancubus WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr