Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Revenant100 said:

The hairy chest and pronounced hairy legs do not agree with Adrian Carmack's sketch which should probably be considered close to the de facto reference for how the the demons should look in high detail. It's clear that Adrian adhered to his own designs when it came to the sprites, especially given the known Arch-Vile and Mancubus facial deviations compared to Gregor Punchatz's original latex models, and the Baron sketch and clay model were already entirely Adrian's work through and through.

As for the Baron in particular, it appears he went for a sinew-y muscular appearance, even on the fur-covered legs. You can really see this in the striated look of the hair on the hooves, a detail still evident in the final sprites.

On the other hand, I think s13n1's model looks much more like the in-game sprites than Adrian Carmack's own art does. It's obviously due to the graphical limitations of the day, but remember, before the concept art was made public a lot of people used to think the Baron had pants.

Also, there is a definite difference between what looks good in 2d art and what looks good in a 3d model. s13n1's Baron already has a lot of really prominent muscle definition, any more and he'd look like something drawn by Rob Liefeld.

Also also, I think I've figured out what bothers me about the Imp model, s13n1. It looks like you used the front-facing sprites as a base and forgot to take into account the Imp's heavy slouch (as can be seen on the side-facing sprites), so the proportions are off and he looks way too top-heavy. Look at the full sprite sheet, from the side and back his proportions actually look similar to the human enemies'.

One wonders if the Barron is half brown, half pink, simply to make it stand out against the brown Imp and pink Demon.

Stunningly faithful interpretations of these sprites. The mancubus is really shaping up, I love the chaingunner and lost soul, plus I'm hugely impressed by the baron.

That chest hair looks great, too; it really reinforces the monster's animalistic appearance. Plus, giving the hell knight a less hairy appearance could then serve as a cool visual distinction between the two.

s13n1 said:

Thanks for all the praise guys, much appreciated!

Here's something a little different.

The background image on my blog was made from Adiran Carmacks amazing SkinFace sketch. I filtered the shit out of it in PS till i got the desired results.

Holy balls, that is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I want the walls inside (and outside) my house to look like that! Damn. Fantastic job!

Some of ya'll mo'fuckas complaining about the hairy Baron need to chill. I think it's a fantastic design choice and I really can't see it working any other way.

s13n1 said:

Put down some basic colour.

I just need to finish the tanks and then ill move onto a new sculpt.

Mancubus WIP by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

Sweet,first time i saw Manacubus i thought it's a wierd alien, Now i clearly see that it's a Fat guy :O

Wow, this is amazing! However, wouldn't it be better if you teamed up with these guys? http://www.doomascension.com/ There is also a guy called Reinchard666

I love these kinds of projects but I always get worried that they might get finished halfway and never released. I really wanna play Doom in glorious, high quality 3D but I think these projects need a bit more organization, maybe even sponsored in a thread by the Doomworld bigwigs and then launch an unofficial Doom sequel by the community. Man...that would be amazing.

Another thing that worries me is some of the more complex textures. Sure, STAR looks great in 2D but textures like TEKWALL4 and the flesh textures just look weird in 2D at higher resolutions, they beg to be actual 3D models.

I just LOVE that baron. Top notch.

Also, you should take a look at this for animation.

http://ipisoft.com/

EDIT: Ah yes, and I would also make the red on the chaingunner a bit brighter, in Doom it's important to be able to distinguish the enemies quickly, I think it would hurt the gameplay if it blended in the environment.

Keep up the good work! This is great!

This thread will be either famine or feast, so expect some weeks to have updates every day, while sometimes i might go a month with nothing. Its just how it goes.

Collaborations are not something im interested in right now. I really love the texture work Reinchard has done over in his thread, and i hope to use his textures at some point, as i feel they are pretty much flawless, why bother trying to out do them, they're amazing! I just hope he releases a pack with normal, spec and displacement maps.

The more i look into Doom 3, the less i'm liking what i see. I'm surprised there's not more being done with it to be honest.

I just recently started playing around with the Quake DarkPlaces engine again and its really beautiful. It's come a long way since i last tried it. I will do some tests to see if it can do everything i want, and if so, ill probably use that. I've got a tonne of experience mapping for Quake1, and i'll feel more comfortable using it. I'm even comfortable making some QC changes.

As far as modeling goes, I've had some real trouble with mudbox crashing a lot, so i did a reinstall but that didnt fix it.

I read some people had luck changing drivers, so i rolled back to the previous version and it seems better, but have still had the same unknown error crash a few times. Very annoying. Strange though, because i had been on the new drivers for a long time before any crashes started. Bizarre.

I'm learning to save frequently now.

I did a bit more polishing on the SkinFace model, there's a video on the blog showing some rotations to highlight the geometry.

Right now im just working on the Quake 1 Ogre, as its a model i started a while back, but due to troubles / inexperience i gave up and moved onto the Doom models.

I had trouble with losing symmetry while sculpting. After a while one side would be clearly different and there was nothing i could do to fix it once i had retopologized the model.

I always try to import a model into mudbox that has had a symmetry modifier applied to in Max, which runs a seam up the middle of the model, and basically ensures that when you subdivide, it does so evenly.

If you import a low poly model to use as the base of your sculpt, and a large quad made up of two triangles falls accross the x axis, when you subdivide, those two triangles will subdivide into smaller triangles, and as you can imagine, eventually you end up with an uneven mesh. I was surprised to see how much this affected the sculpt, so there were many times when i gave up on a sculpt because i simply couldn't fix it. Sending the model to max to reapply a symmetry modifier just causes more headaches.

But kind of hidden away in mudbox theres the ability to mirror your sculpt, which i only discovered after searching for ways to ensure total symmetry while sculpting.

This only works if your model is symmetrical and has a seam down the middle of it. You just select two polys next to each other along that middle seam and press V or ctrl+v, which tells mudbox thats the center of the mesh. Then you deselect those two polys, and select just one poly on the half of the model you wish to mirror, and under the layers tab you can right click on your sculpt layer and choose mirror. Easy peasy.

The trouble i had, is that as soon as you retopologize your model, which you have to do eventually to keep sculpting, you lose symmetry. Or in other words, that seams is gone and you can't use the mirror trick. It wasn't till mudbox 2015 that they added the option when retopologizing, to apply symmetry to it. Well overdue.

Anyway, big rant, but basically it means the upgrade to the 2015 version is totally worth it, and has been a huge help.

I'm probably going to merge the DoomHD site into a joint Quake and Doom page, so i can post progress on all my stuff in the one place.

I would love nothing more than to overhaul all of the Quake 1 and Doom1/2 characters, but its going to take time. There's no rush though is there, i mean, Dooms been out for while now.. :-)

Which format do you use to export from max to mudbox? If this is obj then make sure that you're using "quads" for faces instead of triangles (geometry panel). Anyway - I'm big fan of what you shown here.

Just using obj.

Quads will still do the same if there is no seam down the middle, but nowhere near as bad as triangles.

I've just updated the blog to include my Quake work.

The blog is now located at qdhd.tumblr.com

I'll be posting my quake there now, but it will still be the home of Doom HD.

I uploaded a turntable of the Ogre.

A bit non-doom related, but some of you might like to see anyway.

Here's my Quake Ogre model, pretty close to finished.

Still uses the original low res skin painted over top.

I'm going to try and use the original textures for colour information and add detail via sculpting. i'll take it as far as i can before needing to up the res.
They'll do for now.

ogre wip by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

ogre wip by Doom 64 HD, on Flickr

s13n1 said:

A bit non-doom related, but some of you might like to see anyway.

Here's my Quake Ogre model, pretty close to finished.

Still uses the original low res skin painted over top.

I'm going to try and use the original textures for colour information and add detail via sculpting. i'll take it as far as i can before needing to up the res.
They'll do for now.

Cave man :p

I like about the original ogre that he looks like he was wearing a mask made of someone’s face. Like Leatherface from “Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” complete with an apron and a chainsaw. Each and every high definition texture/model lose it. Well, I guess it’s just a way the story goes.

About the Baron: I love the hairy legs, but think the hairy chest clutters the feeling of it being an incredibly strong goat-like monstrosity. I would kill the chest hair for the sake of the image's power.

Shambler looks awesome, but is it intentionally without a fur?

Interviewer: Do fiends have eyes? Do Shamblers have fur?
American McGee: Yes. Yes.

(source)

That being said, I think it looks like it came from some deep sea or something like that. Which might be more lovecraftian than a fur, after all.

I knew it wouldn't be long till fur was brought up :-)

Its very intentionally without fur.

I don't see the Shambler with fur. I never imagined it to be fury till i read a description of it, and im sure everyone else did too.

I'm trying to make high detailed versions of them as they appear in Quake or Doom. We all fell in love with these games as they are, not the descriptions of how they were "supposed" to be.

Imps are supposed to have fur and metal spikes? Yeah, I don't see that either. I'm making what i see, sometimes elaborating if it adds to the model in some way.

I did actually make an alternate model to begin with that was textured furry, just to see what it was like. And as i expected, it looked weird.

I've always seen Shamblers as big pale dangerous looking beast with wrinkled filthy blood stained skin. Not Yeti's with big teeth.

The design was just kind of stumbled on too. I made the mouth and was happy with that, then the rest was just a mad rush of different texturing to see what might look alright, and after several different experiments layered on top of one another, it started looking pretty cool so i added some blood and specular highlights and ended up with the what you see.

I have never thought about imps having a fur. And I don’t think it would look good. More like reptilian skin.

And the more I see your Shambler, the more I like it. Lovecraftian, as I said. Maybe even antediluvian.

Hmm... I always imagined the Shambler (and the Imp for that matter) as having light fur. Compared to the Ogre and even the Scrag, the Shambler's texture does look like he's covered in a slight fuzz. The only non-furred Shambler I've ever seen that looked like the original was this sculpture some guy made.

Anyway, the warts are definitely overkill, and I don't understand what's going on with his hands. They look like tentacles instead of claws.

so are the doom and quake monsters going to be in the same mod/game? (that would be aweosem!) also any hope for a few stroggs?

I'm watching yours job a bit time. It's impressive work. All these sculpts - monsters from DOOM and QUAKE. I've waited some time before my regestering will pass to say it's your Shambler is beautifull. I'm hardcore fan of QUAKE and I don't think about Shambler as a hairy monster. I saw many 3d models and sculpts with fuzzy white hair, and it's not intend. Your vision is fiendish voice of dark, stone, rotten corners of QUAKE realm. And I like it. Your Ogre is fantastic (as an Enforcer too). I'm glad to see that you not to forgot about Quad on Ogre's chest :) All of yours sculpt of DOOM monsters are huge-fantastic work! I see many words says this or that thinks are not correct or do not match. Don't lissen to malcontents!

If someone of you, brothers in DOOM, making something better or parallel to this work or you do something for DOOM, than speak.

DOOM!

EDIT

I've just seen your Scrag - perfect work! I love those details reminds me cold rotten, mold heavy walls of Castle of the damned! There is no funny face monsters, but the residents of other haunted dimensions from Lovecraft nightmares. Master job!