Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Krazov said:

I have never thought about imps having a fur. And I don’t think it would look good. More like reptilian skin.

And the more I see your Shambler, the more I like it. Lovecraftian, as I said. Maybe even antediluvian.

I don't see them as furry or reptilian. To me they their skin is like ours, only they have spikes and demons faces..and of course it seems they have been working out some too.

Reptilian is for me the only acceptable way to go. Scaly, burnt leather skin is far more badass than brown skin or fur.

Xegethra said:

I don't see them as furry or reptilian. To me they their skin is like ours, only they have spikes and demons faces..and of course it seems they have been working out some too.

I guess it’s normal, to have different visions about those pixelated monsters. Especially when it wasn’t specified in original.

Aye indeed, fur, scales, leather or skin it could really be either.

I guess we could just say due to the ambiguity of it, they can come in either variety....sort of like breeds, a bit.

Pinky is shaping up to be the best sculpt yet.

No pics till he's close to done though, i want the most impact.

Avoozl said:

Didn't something from ID say that the Imp's have brown fur and metal spikes?

No

About Shambler - here's old e-mail form Adrian:

Subject: Re: Shambler: Fur or no fur?

Not fur.

Adrian

At 05:08 PM 7/1/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>People in the Quake community are always arguing (a lot more lately
>than usual, hence this email) on the topic of whether or not the
>Shambler from Quake has fur or not. Could you clarify this in order to
>end the arguments?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nathan Ostgard

Source: http://quakeone.com/

Imps having fur with metal spikes is mentioned in Masters of Doom.

Please don't fill this thread with "thought they were supposed to look like this" comments.

Shamblers not furry. Amen.

Imps in 3D tend to look strange with their odd ivory-white sonic spikes in arbitrary places along with their overly-smooth oiled-looking skin and always-open mouths.

Maybe having the spikes be rusty, corroded, and bloody like they were impaled from within, and giving them bristly burned-brown fur like that of a wild boar could look cool.

s13n1 said:

Imps having fur with metal spikes is mentioned in Masters of Doom.

Ah, so that's where I remember it from.

Shamblers not furry. Amen.

Yep, this is true, I remember even official artwork showed it as all shiny flesh with merely blood covering the feet, claws and mouth.

It would be awesome if Quake was possible to have the HD model treatment done with the monster models, I'd love to see the Shambler done justice with.

s13n1 said:

Where might one find Quake 1 concept art?

I had one of those N64 gaming magazines when I was a child which may have been released not long after Quake 64 was released, it had some artwork on the review page with the one I previously mentioned I recall.

Well furry or not, they still look like smooth skinned body builders to me...oh well, I guess the ones I've been seeing have had a shave.

But yeah, nice work all round though. Good looking models indeed!

That pinky's a true thug. I never doubted that you could pull it off but seeing it now I'm amazed at how perfect it is.

I've just realized something though, a lot of the monsters have really gory death animations, have you modeled their insides in order to implement that? Also, 3DGE 2.0 is in progress, and MD5 support is intended, are you aware of this?

-one month later-

Well, 3DGE now has (very rudimentary) support for MD5, (http://3dfxdev.net/edgewiki/index.php/MD5) as of 2.0.0 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/files/3DGE%20binaries/2.0/2.0.0/?, http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45661). You said this was intended for DooM 3, but seeing as this is the very same format DooM 3 uses, would you reconsider? :) I'm just hoping you haven't given up on this. Also,

s13n1 said:

Uh oh.

What was this all about?

Lol.

Yes, you should totally give up on whatever it is im doing and move onto that one that hasn't been updated since April last year. Totes a good move.

Just been busy is all.

Haven't had a chance to even open mudbox since my last post.

The "uh oh" comment was in regards to someone who questioned that i was "now making quake models too".

I had no idea i had to ask permission to do whatever i want with my free time.

I'll come back to this stuff soon, just got more important things to deal with, like getting married, work, photography.

s13n1 said:

Lol.
I had no idea i had to ask permission to do whatever i want with my free time.

Hey now XD, it's quite common for promising projects to start up and then fizzle out, with the authors dropping off the face of the Earth. Like Doom Ascension, or the thing DMGUYDZ64 linked to.

Holy fucking shit this is amazing. You beat ID at their own game Lol. If you turn these to sprites I'll always use them.

Jaxxoon R said:

Hey now XD, it's quite common for promising projects to start up and then fizzle out, with the authors dropping off the face of the Earth. Like Doom Ascension, or the thing DMGUYDZ64 linked to.

lol You mean SDDM ? i didn't drop this thing,i released a second beta last week with 2 new maps just so you know,and you're right i'm too lazy that i may even cancel it :P

s13n1 said:

I'll come back to this stuff soon, just got more important things to deal with, like getting married, work, photography.

I think you need to get your priorities straight, young man. There'll be plenty of time for marriage, work and photography after you've finished this project. ;)

joe-ilya said:

That chaingunner looks like super mario.

lol yeah, Better if he gets taller .

These look amazing! I have seen some good attempts that never got finished, but I think these are better so far! It was disappointing that Frank Gilman wouldn't give us the 3d models for doom 64, even if we paid for them, but I would be happy to see these replace them! :)