Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

I'm big fan of QUAKE too, and your monster remakes was just big WOW for me :) I hope we will see in future exactly remake of old DOOM with new high quality textures and true made monsters, weapons, items and gameplay :)

EDIT:

I love rust, moody world of QUAKE, so different opposite to DOOM, but fantastic too, and your work are exactly at this style.

I confess, I've always imagined the light-brown-ish top of the weapon to be highly soft and elastic, as if made out of rubber rather than plastic or metal. Probably just my misconception from childhood, due to the way how the firing sprites look like, but your "stiff" model feels odd to me for that reason anyway.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Holy shit, that plasma raffle looks good.

The prizes are fantastic. Be sure to get a ticket! ;-)

Feedback seems to be positive on the design, so ill focus on adding details now.

Plasma Rifle Preview by Doom HD, on Flickr

Nah you need the first layer of paint to be green to add the undertones to the grey second coa-- ok I'll stfu now.

Look's good though, man; I can't wait to see how it turns out!

It's only the light colour.

I've just finished a first UV, just need to start some bakes and then if it goes to plan, I can start texturing.

This first model will be the entire gun, pretty high detail to be used in renderings and possibly as a pickup. I want to use LODs, so high polies aren't a big issue for weapons, as there's not many on screen at once.

I want to be sure these models are pretty future proof, so poly counts will be pretty high for most things.

Still lots of work to do, just establishing the base textures here.

I haven't even started to texture this. I've only imported the base materials and set the basic colours and scales.

The smoothing groups need refining and all maps need to be re-baked, as they are pretty shit, with lots of issues if you look for them.

Wont be long now though.

Plasma Rifle Texture Test by Doom HD, on Flickr

GD that plasma rifle looks great as-is; I know you said it's just the base textures but damn that thing looks good! I can't wait to see this thing when everything is done!

Very nice! Are you using custom curvature/cavity map or you just put normal and space objecty maps and and use curvature that Quixel do automatically from your normal? What soft are you using for baking normals? Xnormal or you bake it in 3d editor? I noticed that in some cases DDO have little trouble with recognizing edges in my normal even if I bake my custom curvature map and apply it in base editor. Of course I need to flip Y when I bake normal in xnormal, but I prefer baking in 3d editor.

Reinchard: im no expert on this, just learning as I go.

The curvature I make by baking an AO and then applying a high pass filter to it. I use Xnormal to bake Normal, OS normal and AO. I use Max to bake the colour I.d and heightmaps. I then let Quixel bake a gradient map.

Flipping Y can be done in PS later too by inverting green channel, if need be.

If you're just learning then you have amazing talent, this stuff is AAA game quality.

Do you work with any other games?

This is really good stuff.

I would like to ask a question though. What are the odds of you completing this project? There have been many such projects which made a lot of progress but were abandoned before even being 50% complete.

Are you going to recreate just the old resources? Will you also make new textures based on the old ones? Is there going to be a Doom 3 map or pack using these resources?

The Plasma Rifle needed more work than expected.

Remade about 50% of the UV, and rebuilt a lot of the model to improve the normal bake.

I'm learning so much about smoothing groups and baking normal maps. I didn't think there was so much to it, but it really is a fine art getting good bakes, and im still not happy with it.

But considering its just the pickup version and you wont be getting too close to it, i think the detail and quality should hold up.

I'll probably add some hand painted detail later on, like wear on the handle and under the barrel, possibly some edge damage, scratches, dents and chips etc. But I'd say its pretty much done.

Plasma Rifle 95% by Doom HD, on Flickr

I confirm - very good and clean model. I took your advice and instead creating curvature map in Xnormal I use my AO and convert them to curvature map with high pass filter. That method works much better in Quixel, so thanks.

Not a problem, if you want any tips or help, just let me know. I dont know a lot, but i've come across a few issues and managed to work through them, so i could be of some help.

I'm excited to see what you can do with Quixel, you're already a great artist, so no doubt you will do amazing things with Quixel!

Thanks! I bought Quixel something about year ago but until now I don't have good effects with this soft - in particular by the lack of edge detection. BTW - can you show a geometry of your lowpoly plasma?