Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

I wonder why the artwork for Doom 2 portrays the Cyberdemon with a humanoid face/nose, he looked more like a typical biblical demon.

8 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I wonder why the artwork for Doom 2 portrays the Cyberdemon with a humanoid face/nose, he looked more like a typical biblical demon.

It took me forever to notice the big, buggy red eyes on the Cyberdemon sprites... And to be honest, I kind of preferred what I thought I saw before I noticed those massive things.

9 hours ago, s13n1 said:

I just dont have much time lately. I have a 4 month old son now and whenever i do have time for stuff, its usually spent playing something.

Take as much time as you need! I personally am a very patient person, can't say the same for everyone else. With these one-man project deals you just can't rush through it.

Just curious how many people use Voxels?

Whats the best Voxel mods and tools?

What is the performance like?

5 hours ago, s13n1 said:

Just curious how many people use Voxels?

Whats the best Voxel mods and tools?

What is the performance like?

@Ermin did a load of work with voxels on Solace Dreams.  He can probably tell you all about their pros and cons.

13 hours ago, Bauul said:

He can probably tell you all about their pros and cons.

my advise and perspective on voxels.... dont f@@kin use them lol
Unless you have a powerful rig (seriously powerful) then dont bother.

I set out to make a mod based entirely of voxels Solace Dreams, then found out far too late in development that voxels in gzdoom are converted to 3d models. (Every voxel from a model is converted to a 3d cube, that includes the voxels that are hidden i think)

Stick to the regular MD3 format for models.

Edited by Ermin

Sounds really unoptimized.

So each little voxel was actually being rendered as a six sided poly cube? Sounds disastrous.

What I’m thinking is if an engine was designed to draw a voxel object in place of a texture, every surface in the world would be three demnsional and have loads of detail. You could then use algorithms to automatically fill gaps between certain surfaces, such as the gaps in hex floor tiles where they would meet a wall.

Parallax occlusion mapping and tesselation can add depth to textures, but I think the retro look of Voxels would really work well with doom and allow for some nice dynamic effects for gore and damage.

It sounds weird, but I’ve always thought that even with really high quality 3D models that are animated nicely, it would still look a bit “off”, because you would no longer have those quirky idle animations. Like Pinkies bouncy idle pose. You can see him from a mile away and unless you gave him a really exaggerated idle animation, it wouldn’t look the same.

You could have each frame a separate voxel model and this would reproduce that look. Otherwise you could make Virtua Fighter type models with intersecting joints and animate them with a skeleton, but it usually looks pretty bad.

When I get a chance I’ll play around with some voxel stuff and see how things look.

On 29/11/2017 at 11:21 PM, s13n1 said:

Sounds really unoptimized.

So each little voxel was actually being rendered as a six sided poly cube? Sounds disastrous.

What I’m thinking is if an engine was designed to draw a voxel object in place of a texture, every surface in the world would be three demnsional and have loads of detail. You could then use algorithms to automatically fill gaps between certain surfaces, such as the gaps in hex floor tiles where they would meet a wall.

i dont know the intricacies of all that technical stuff when it comes to the renderer and engine, but i do recommend staying away from voxels.
i have a 8core 4.00ghz cpu an it still struggles to run my own mod that uses voxels, to be honest im not sure if gzdoom  utilises all threads from the cpu.
And yes it converts each voxel to a 3 dimensional cube with 4 vertices and 12tris

On 29/11/2017 at 11:21 PM, s13n1 said:

You could have each frame a separate voxel model and this would reproduce that look. Otherwise you could make Virtua Fighter type models with intersecting joints and animate them with a skeleton, but it usually looks pretty bad.

this is the method i use to create animations with voxels, i will admit the conversion process is very long and boring.
And i was only able to export models at 512x512 voxels large which made the larger models look very blocky.

Here is a video demonstrating some of my mods voxels...
Towards the end of the video you will see a flesh like level made entirely of voxels, this has a major hit on performance for almost any system

Spoiler

Edited by Ermin

Wait a moment, how are voxels supposed to be displayed? As sprites in the position of each voxel, or as dots with the space between them interpolated/filled in? or any other way?

Don't mess with voxels. Nice idea, but it isn't going to suit your project.

There is also no need to arse about with the ancient old MD3 model format and it's broken-down toolset. Doomsday has FBX, normal and specular maps. ;-)

Really love the wall textures and how they're loyal to the original game. I can see the progression from 2D textures and how they're interpreted as 3D structures. Very cool.

The imp looks a bit rubbery though. Something about this makes it look less menacing. Some scratch marks, scars, varying textures, scuffs, bruises, blood splotches and pitting would look nice in moderation.

The skull looks a bit too clean. The original has a lot of red, like blood splatter. If it looked like it had eaten it's way out of someone's chest it'd look more menacing. I guess some of that blood would have got scorched giving a range of colours from red to brown, bubbling and cauterisation options.

If this could all be done just using the original game maps it would be amazing, to have the original spirit of the game married with cool graphics :D

This is top notch work you have right there, but I honestly think you should make small releases (maybe a weapons packs?) instead of waiting for all of the monsters, weapons, items, wall textures, etc., to be ready.

Your models are stunning. I found them as I was loking for some doom miniatures to paint that look really like they were supposed to look in original games. Do you plan to make them available for 3d printing (or already printed trough some printing shop/service) ? I would really enjoy to paint them.

E1152D8E-10BA-4C70-939F-441FAEFAC1EE.png.7319e3babe0993cda8bc46f1dbf2bfd7.png

Had a go at painting the Baron 3D print.

I only had shitty old craft paints ant brushes, but he turned out pretty cool.

Looking at all the work being done with PBR materials has got me excited to work on this again.

Will be nice to have some more free time one day!

5 hours ago, KuriKai said:

Hey s13n1, Any chance of you releasing your models to be used in the dhmp?

They're 3D printed, so I doubt that they'd be really useful for that. You'd want a poseable skeleton with something layered on top for that to be really possible. These are more like statuettes.

Don't know if there's 3D printers that can print on top of something yet.

Otherwise, would have to go for the usuals - Clay, latex, or 3D print a model in various pieces that can be interlocked and jointed so as to allow for actual posing.

1 hour ago, Tea Monster said:

I think he meant to make in-game sprite-replacement models out of. 

Yes, so do I. That's not a posable printed model AFAIK, it's a fixed-form one.

He'd need to make a version that could be assembled and posed.

(Of course, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me!)

3D print models are no different to any other model, they’re just ran through the print software to encode them.

My models will one day be rigged and animated for use in a project I’ve got planned. I won’t be releasing them before then though. The last thing I want to see is just a few random models being used for all kinds of random projects. Same goes for textures. I’m making what I need for E1M1 then what I need for E1M2 and so on.

There’s so much cool stuff happening with Doom, I wish I had more free time and a computer that wasn’t dog shit.

21 hours ago, s13n1 said:

3D print models are no different to any other model, they’re just ran through the print software to encode them.

Yeah, what I was getting at are that I don't think your models are articulated for motion - hence, "more like statuettes" due to not being posable.

I mean, if you went and made articulated parts with joints and stuff, then assembled it into a model, then yeah, totally possible.

Sorry for the 7 month necro but is this project still ongoing?

Nobody else is making classic doom minis, except for Bethesda when they feel like it and at 200 quid a pop.

On 7/27/2019 at 1:35 PM, W.Hudson said:

Nobody else is making classic doom minis, except for Bethesda when they feel like it and at 200 quid a pop.

Considering this HD project has been in the works 6 years... doubtful we'll ever see a final project. As badass as it is I stopped coming to see updates and teasing myself. I just happened to see a random pic of the models online and decided to look it up again after feels like 2 years today. No use admiring something I'll never see in my life. Sounds negative but just being realistic. Never say never... but you know... might as well in this case.

18 minutes ago, crampedmisfit1990 said:

Considering this HD project has been in the works 6 years... doubtful we'll ever see a final project.

Back in the day, before getting a real Half-Life 3 Confirmed in my face, I'd agree with you.

But now, after all these years, I'm willing to wait even more years to see this game come to life.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:35 PM, W.Hudson said:

*cough*