Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Amazing work, especially on the guns.
If we could get models like this in-game....that'd be REALLY nice.

I think the heads on some of the "people" models, like the chaingun guy are a little on the big side, but the detail is spectacular. The level of importance in skin-tones, depth and blemishing on skin for both people and monsters is really important I think.

7552 Polys.

Plasma Model by Doom HD, on Flickr

Plasma Model by Doom HD, on Flickr

My "low poly" is not as low as i would like. In fact its actually pretty damn high.

But, the model needs to hold up to viewing as close as the shots posted, and anything less just didn't look good enough.

I'll be making use of LOD's though, so that from a metre away it starts to drop rapidly.

The chaingun i posted earlier is only about 1700, yet it still looks good up close. I'll probably bump it up though, as its a little edgy in places. Mind you, it is only the barrels, and not the full gun.

The Plasma Rifle has some iconic geometry that can't be faked with a normal map, as it just doesn't catch the light properly. The edges do, but not the depth.

I didn't want to alter the design to be 'normal friendly' for the sake of being super low poly, i'd rather it looked good.

I'll probably swap the hoses out for lower poly versions later on, as there are quite a few polys i could cull there, but we can get away with a lot more detail in our models these days.

I mean, back in 2014, 10-15,000 polys for an on-screen weapon model, and 20-30,000 polys for character was not uncommon. That blows my mind!

Quake 1's Grunt had about 330! :-)

One of Dooms sprites could be drawn with 2 polys.

If possible, I'd say don't let an algorithm decide what your lower-res models should be. If you can, focus your polygons on the naturally curved parts of the model, let the flatter spots use fewer polys. Maybe there's an algorithm that accounts for this..but I don't think I've seen it if there is.

Still, amazing work!

I've got a bit of experience with Cryengine, and the latest version has a very good built-in LOD generator. It generates the mesh LOD's, new UV's + textures, including any alphas, normals, spec, the lot. It also produces different size textures if need be, so for the smallest LOD, it could have just a 128x128 texture. Its very good.

I'm probably going to make a lower poly version that culls all the crevices and grooves. This will be the base i feed into the LOD generator, that way it has a clean mesh to work from. Otherwise it may start culling in the wrong spots.

The most important thing with a good LOD is maintaining the profile, or silhouette. If there's big changes to the shape its way more noticeable than surface details.

Again, im still really new to this stuff, so once i get faster at it, i'll probably want to do it all myself to maintain quality.

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

If I can please the people at Doomworld, it makes me very happy.

I can promise things will get better as I learn more about these tools and improve.

I'm currently working on the BFG and Rocket Launcher. I had a break from the BFG as I just wasn't feeling it, and got most of the RL made yesterday. UVs are done, im just adding some floating details for the normal bake, and then I can start texturing.

The RL is a bit of a hard one, as it's a strange design. As usual it doesn't match the pick-up sprite, and the on-screen Sprite is a little lacking in details. I'm trying to jazz things up without losing touch with the original designs, adding some grooves, bumps and screws / rivets where possible to make it more interesting.

I'm heading off to Bali tomorrow for a week, so there won't be anything new during that time. I'll be taking all my tech with me, but I don't have my editing tools on my MacBook, so it's just gaming and browsing for me.

I'll try my best to get the RL finished today, but no promises.

I'll most likely pop in to answer any questions while away, but if not, see you in a week ;-)

This stuff is very cool.
However, after seeing tens of such one man hd remake projects fail due to too much work and time needed to get them completed, I have absolutely no expectation to see all of the sprites and textures from Doom, turned into 3d models.
This is something that will take years to make, but good luck with it.

You know I never thought of how long it will take.

Geez, by the time I'm finished, everyone will have moved onto playing Quake.

You're right, I should probably just quit.

Also, what's wrong with Flickr for hosting my photos?

What site do you use? Should I use it? It must be better then Flickr.

Oh goodness. I"m just griping to be griping about Flickr. I just can't view some of them without them asking me to register. HOST WHERE YOU WANT!

I'm just griping a little. :)

I think your project is beyond awesome.

s13n1 said:

You know I never thought of how long it will take.
Geez, by the time I'm finished, everyone will have moved onto playing Quake.
You're right, I should probably just quit.

Not me, man - I'll wait for you! I'd hate to see you quit, though I sympathize with you about the amount of time. If it were my task, I'd still be on the first texture! And, it would be ugly :)

If I recall, I think I suggested getting a partner to assist, but I understand if that takes something away from it being your project. Here's some other suggestions, if you wanted them:

1. Maybe a lesser artist could start resources, like walls, and they could create the general shape. Then you could start with that - maybe that could ease the burden, but keep the project all yours. You'd have to let that artist know that you might totally alter, or toss their work altogether. You'd have to find someone willing to be your "gopher monkey", so to speak.

2. Work towards a stopping point/milestone. For example, maybe get all weapons totally complete - that's a milestone. Next, maybe all floors for Doom 1, episode 1 - another milestone.

If you did approach #2, don't make huge-effort milestones - make small milestones that can be achieved relatively quickly. A nice approach would be to choose milestones that allow you to play a map in a "cleanly enhanced" way.

What do I mean by "cleanly enhanced"? For example, if you got all weapons, and all floors that the player would see during, say Doom I E1M1, that would be a "clean, enhanced" experience. What I mean is, do ALL of the floors needed for E1M1, so that the hi-res look is seamless...for floors (and weapons). I, for on, would love to check out E1M1 with hi-res floors and weapons. It would be ok for me, that the walls were not ready, if there was consistency. (no hi-res floors, or all hi-res floors).

Anyway, if you make milestones like that, and you find out ways to make smaller milestones, it will feel like you're making more progress, and your project will become fun to play, which might help keep you motivated :)

Good luck! I don't know if these idea are helpful. I'm sure I speak for others when I say that love your work, and we'd love to see the project completed.

Dont worry. He won't quit. He was just being ironic towards my remark.

As for the remark, I didn't mean it as a negative thing.
I really like what I see here a lot.
I actually registered to this forum after lurking for years upon years, just to say I like this stuff.
But the idea that all of the Doom assets are going to receive this treatment by only one person, Is mind blowing to expect for me.
The Duke Nukem 3d High Resolution Pack, is being worked on for what I think is a decade now, if not more and it's been worked on by a shitload of people at once and it's still not 100% ready nor incredible looking.
The level of quality that I've seen here in this this topic, seems to me that it could actually take at least 5 years to make if one guy works 12 hours a day at it.
If he works less than 8 hours a day at it, I think it might take 10 years to make or more.
I have yet to see somebody working for 10 years on the same thing, without losing interest.

Then people would have complained about it looking too cartoony, like they are now, immediately after complaining that it was trying too hard to be all realistic and piss filtered.

@Tormentor667 - exactly!

@Jaxxoon R - oh these models don't look cartoony, they look hiper detailed version of original DOOM. If someone doesn't like this style, his problem, it's DOOM and I love it.

How long do you think it takes to make this stuff?

Almost everything from halfway down page 10 was made this year, and I'm certainly not spending 8 hours a day working on it.

The first chaingun was made in about 3 hours, then the updates for the new version would make it about 5 hours total.

Dooms been around for over 20 years and I've been playing it and modding it ever since. I have no intention of stopping, I will eventually finish this.

I'm remaking all textures from episode 1, but will be making all weapons and demons. My project see you return to episode 1 only. I'm not remaking the whole game.

I'll also be returning to Doom64 stuff as one point as one episode of the project will be inspired by it.

One day I'll turn my attention towards quake 1 and 2 as well.

As I get better at this I'll be able to pump it out much faster.

s13n1 said:

Almost everything from halfway down page 10 was made this year, and I'm certainly not spending 8 hours a day working on it.

The first chaingun was made in about 3 hours, then the updates for the new version would make it about 5 hours total.

Dooms been around for over 20 years and I've been playing it and modding it ever since. I have no intention of stopping, I will eventually finish this.

I'm remaking all textures from episode 1, but will be making all weapons and demons. My project see you return to episode 1 only. I'm not remaking the whole game.

I'll also be returning to Doom64 stuff as one point as one episode of the project will be inspired by it.

Well then. I wish you the best of luck.
I will check this topic once or twice a week to see you post new stuff and if I can offer my input on it, I will try to help if my input will ever matter.
I would definitely love to see doom remade with top notch graphics using completely remade assets of this level of quality.
There is one thing to remake doom textures into high resolution ones and quite another to remake the 2d textures into such detailed 3d models.
This project makes me dream of a Doom remake that looks way beyond everthing that has been done until now.
The best Doom remake that we have so far is that Classic Doom 3 mod, but that uses the Doom3 textures and it just remakes the doom levels with a modern twist to them.
Then there's also that Doom Reborn mod for Doom3, but that is just Doom 1 HD textures ported over to Doom3 and it's using bumpmaps and the exact same levels taken from Doom1.
It looks way too shiny and boring.

s13n1 said:

I must admit to being very envious of your artistic talent! IMO, you should have no problem pursuing a job in the game industry if that's what you're aiming for.

Alright, just put Andrew Hulshult's music in there and you have a full HD pack.
But seriously, this looks pretty awesome.

Tormentor667 said:

This is what Doom 4 should have looked like!

Like a very, very close approximation of the original, but in 3D? Doesn't that seem a little predictable? Now, I love these 3D models but I like how Doom '16 is looking.

If they are going to just remake the original Doom again, then yes, it would have been neat of them to imitate the original art style, as it would have made the game look a lot less generic.

Anyway, I cannot wait to see Doom HD in action!

Cartoony but cool models :) All that's left to do with the existing ones is to give them a bit of realism!