Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

Recommended Posts

Some of the monsters look amazing - and certainly not cartoonish as someone else claimed.

It's good to see this continuing but with so many distractions, will any of this great content ever see the light of day in a playable fashion?

Have you thought about animations yet?

Share this post


Link to post

I've thought about animations, but no plans to start anything soon.

My focus right now is just models and textures. I'm working on all the E1M1 textures, so I can one day remake it, then move onto E1M2 and make whatever new textures it needs.

Level design is not something I've nailed down just yet, I'll have to wait and see how things look, then I'll decide how to approach it.

I have a lot of ideas for all aspects of a remake, but I don't concept anything, I like to just start and see where it takes me.

Share this post


Link to post

One day.

 

These are not final prints, kind of test prints really.

 

Layer height will half, doubling resolution, sizes will change and they will be posed with some of them getting base plates.

 

Pinky for example will have a hex floor tile base stand.

 

I'm still learning so improvements will be made.

Share this post


Link to post

Don't forget to sand them down first if you are planning on painting them- that "step" look 3D printing gives off is pretty ugly!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FuzzballFox said:

Don't forget to sand them down first if you are planning on painting them- that "step" look 3D printing gives off is pretty ugly!

They are printed at .3 layer height, i can go to .05, so a pretty large increase in layer resolution, which should result in much smoother gradients.

 

The best solution for smoothing is probably using ABS and then vapor smoothing. This removes the little ridges, but can also remove some fine details if overdone.

 

I'm curious as to how the models will respond to a gentle amount of filler, or if the paint process itself will actually help filling after after a few coats.

Share this post


Link to post

Now that they've entered the realm of physical reality, did you make sure to account for the game's aspect ratio correction when printing? The Demon looks stout and stubby compared to its intended appearance.

 

UBWDuoL.jpg

 

I was able to further identify the visible aspect ratio disparity with an additional analsis of the Doomguy's mug.

 

mqWD7oY.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, cool stuff. I hope you are going to 3d print all the animation frames, paint them and then photograph the models from multiple angles to use as sprites for the game ;)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

I was able to further identify the visible aspect ratio disparity with an additional analsis of the Doomguy's mug.

 

mqWD7oY.jpg

It feels like Doomguy stares in someone's soul. I hope you'll add hair on his head,because he looks weird without it. 

Share this post


Link to post

His face is a bit too heavy...but it's getting there. I always imagined the Doomguy having a leaner face. He looks too old as well, he should be somewhere around 29-32. You posed an unfinished version a while ago, that looks a lot closer imo.

 

Anyway, there have been many such projects but all have either failed or the promising ones have faded.

 

I haven't heard from the Ascension guys in over two years so I am not getting my hopes up tbh even though I would really like to play with 3d models.

Edited by DooM_RO

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

Now that they've entered the realm of physical reality, did you make sure to account for the game's aspect ratio correction when printing? The Demon looks stout and stubby compared to its intended appearance.

 

UBWDuoL.jpg

 

I was able to further identify the visible aspect ratio disparity with an additional analsis of the Doomguy's mug.

 

mqWD7oY.jpg

Your "Aspect Ratio Correction" is not correct. The images on the left are the correct aspect, as intended on the original 4x3 CRTs the game was made for. Yours are stretched vertically.

 

@s13n1Absolutely beautiful HD images, models, and 3D prints. When I get my stuff together, I will definitely want to buy some of your 3D prints! Amazing!

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, kb1 said:

Your "Aspect Ratio Correction" is not correct. The images on the left are the correct aspect, as intended on the original 4x3 CRTs the game was made for. Yours are stretched vertically

This is all objectively false, and I have to admit, I'm surprised you're not familiar with the game's inherent aspect ratio correction.

 

Edit: I believe your confusion stems from the Doomguy mug. The purpose of that image is to show that the ratio of the original model as presented is not correct either to the original uncorrected sprite nor the intended aspect ratio corrected version. It is somewhere in between, although it is closer to the uncorrected sprite. In other words, in order for these models to appear correct, it is key to account for the proper aspect ratio, whether they're to be rendered as raw sprites for direct asset replacement or as 3D models, real world or otherwise.

Edited by Revenant100

Share this post


Link to post

I dont want to hear about aspect ratios, furry imps, release dates or projects not being finished.

 

I dont post here for a year and within 5 replies its back the same old bullshit.

 

18 hours ago, mouldy said:

Wow, cool stuff. I hope you are going to 3d print all the animation frames, paint them and then photograph the models from multiple angles to use as sprites for the game ;)

Or i could just render them on my computer in an hour or less..

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, s13n1 said:

furry imps, release dates or projects not being finished.

Honestly, the only place I've ever heard the imps described as having fur is Masters of Doom, and I think they were just quoting someone's interpretation. I wouldn't take it even remotely seriously. As for release schedules, forget it, quality work takes a long time.

 

However...

1 hour ago, s13n1 said:

I dont want to hear about aspect ratios ... the same old bullshit.

I in particular may be infamous for obsessing over this particular element, but it's really, really important. The slightest change in proportion can drastically affect the overall appearance of any visual medium.

 

You're doing great work here. Please don't diminish that by deliberately ignoring something that you somehow don't see as being a big of an issue that it really is when it comes to getting things to "look right". I'm used to seeing the sprites with 5:6 pixels, I can immediately tell if something's off, even if others might not.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/23/2017 at 10:43 PM, Revenant100 said:

This is all objectively false, and I have to admit, I'm surprised you're not familiar with the game's inherent aspect ratio correction.

 

Edit: I believe your confusion stems from the Doomguy mug. The purpose of that image is to show that the ratio of the original model as presented is not correct either to the original uncorrected sprite nor the intended aspect ratio corrected version. It is somewhere in between, although it is closer to the uncorrected sprite. In other words, in order for these models to appear correct, it is key to account for the proper aspect ratio, whether they're to be rendered as raw sprites for direct asset replacement or as 3D models, real world or otherwise.

I am far from "confused". "Intended" is what id Software released, and what displayed on the monitors of the day, otherwise they would have stored a different image into the lumps. If you mean that the sprites expect the video card/screen to project rectangular pixels, then yes, of course. But when you label your diagram as "No Aspect Ratio Correction", you have to expect people to disagree. They scanned their images, colored them, projected them onto their screens, and liked what they saw, then sold the game with their intended aspect.

Share this post


Link to post

This must be one of the few corners of the Internet where the aspect ratio of a DOS game would carry so much meaning. As usual, the idiosyncratic nature of the Doom community amuses me to no end.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/31/2017 at 6:27 PM, kb1 said:

I am far from "confused". "Intended" is what id Software released, and what displayed on the monitors of the day, otherwise they would have stored a different image into the lumps. If you mean that the sprites expect the video card/screen to project rectangular pixels, then yes, of course. But when you label your diagram as "No Aspect Ratio Correction", you have to expect people to disagree. They scanned their images, colored them, projected them onto their screens, and liked what they saw, then sold the game with their intended aspect.

Sorry if that was too harsh. All I meant is that the picture on the left has the proper aspect ratio *visually*. Statements describing aspect ratio become ambiguous, unless the pixel, the source image, and the display aspect ratios are all listed. It's the complex interaction between all of those that produces the final visual effect. I guess what you meant was that, to get the picture on the left, on a modern monitor, you need to render the image on the right. Is that accurate?

 

Some source ports have had squished/stretched output for so long that I think some people do not know what it originally looked like :( Ports like Doom95, for example, messed up 640x480.

Share this post


Link to post

Been a long-time follower of this project but never posted about it. Just wanted to say...

 

This project really is fucking amazing... Seriously he has crafted such great models and I just want to say you are very good at your model work. I hope to see more in the future. Cacodemon model next? Haha He's my favorite demon from DOOM and he always looks off in recreations... I bet you'd nail him. I'd also love to see the marble wall textures of Baron, Archvile and Icon of Sin in 3D as well. Keep up the fantastic work! We're all thankful.

Share this post


Link to post

With this project we may be able to make a remastered version of the Ultimate Doom & Doom II.

 

That would be cool !

 

Keep it up !

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-05-31 at 4:43 PM, GoatLord said:

This must be one of the few corners of the Internet where the aspect ratio of a DOS game would carry so much meaning. As usual, the idiosyncratic nature of the Doom community amuses me to no end.

I love this thread so much, and in addition to the amazing work I've seen from s13n1, I gotta admit that this whole aspect ratio debate is just so humorous. So what if the aspect ratio 'correction' made by the engine changes the height of the sprites when you compare in-game with ripped? It does not change the appearance of the sprites enough for me to care (of course that is how I see it, others can and have demonstrated very clearly that they have different views). I would totally buy all of your 3D prints if my current situation was not so hectic and I did not need to save my money for admittedly more important things. I hope to see this thread continue (with less arguing about how vital it is to take into account a simple DOS aspect ratio correction) and I hope to see more of your amazing work in the future!

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, Skeletonpatch said:

So what if the aspect ratio 'correction' made by the engine changes the height of the sprites when you compare in-game with ripped?

It matters for the same reason why you'd want to load the correct PLAYPAL color palette when viewing the art in the game. The sprite lumps by themselves do not contain all of the required data used in determining how they're intended to be displayed. They go through a number of systems in the engine before they ultimately reach your screen, and the artists were conscious of these technical matters and accordingly accounted for it in their work. Willfully disregarding aspects such as the desired color palette or, in this case, the aspect ratio means you'll end up with visibly inaccurate results. Keep in mind, many of Doom's monsters existed in three dimensions to begin with. For instance, of the following two sprites, one without and one with aspect ratio correction applied respectively, which appears to be closer to Adrian's original intentions as indicated by the clay model he sculpted?

 

rhcZdi2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Bumping this because I would like to know whether or not this project is still in development.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×