I just dont have much time lately. I have a 4 month old son now and whenever i do have time for stuff, its usually spent playing something.

I'm planning to paint the pinky 3D print sometime soon as a test to see how the print responds. I'm curious if the paint will fill the print layers at all or will it need smoothing. Printing it in ABS and acetone smoothing would be the easiest option, but could lose a lot of detail.

Talk about aspect rations in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

2 people like this

I wonder why the artwork for Doom 2 portrays the Cyberdemon with a humanoid face/nose, he looked more like a typical biblical demon.

Edited by Avoozl

8 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I wonder why the artwork for Doom 2 portrays the Cyberdemon with a humanoid face/nose, he looked more like a typical biblical demon.

It took me forever to notice the big, buggy red eyes on the Cyberdemon sprites... And to be honest, I kind of preferred what I thought I saw before I noticed those massive things.

9 hours ago, s13n1 said:

I just dont have much time lately. I have a 4 month old son now and whenever i do have time for stuff, its usually spent playing something.

Take as much time as you need! I personally am a very patient person, can't say the same for everyone else. With these one-man project deals you just can't rush through it.

Just curious how many people use Voxels?

Whats the best Voxel mods and tools?

What is the performance like?

5 hours ago, s13n1 said:

Just curious how many people use Voxels?

Whats the best Voxel mods and tools?

What is the performance like?

@Ermin did a load of work with voxels on Solace Dreams.  He can probably tell you all about their pros and cons.

13 hours ago, Bauul said:

He can probably tell you all about their pros and cons.

my advise and perspective on voxels.... dont f@@kin use them lol
Unless you have a powerful rig (seriously powerful) then dont bother.

I set out to make a mod based entirely of voxels Solace Dreams, then found out far too late in development that voxels in gzdoom are converted to 3d models. (Every voxel from a model is converted to a 3d cube, that includes the voxels that are hidden i think)

Stick to the regular MD3 format for models.

Edited by Ermin
3 people like this

Sounds really unoptimized.

So each little voxel was actually being rendered as a six sided poly cube? Sounds disastrous.

What I’m thinking is if an engine was designed to draw a voxel object in place of a texture, every surface in the world would be three demnsional and have loads of detail. You could then use algorithms to automatically fill gaps between certain surfaces, such as the gaps in hex floor tiles where they would meet a wall.

Parallax occlusion mapping and tesselation can add depth to textures, but I think the retro look of Voxels would really work well with doom and allow for some nice dynamic effects for gore and damage.

It sounds weird, but I’ve always thought that even with really high quality 3D models that are animated nicely, it would still look a bit “off”, because you would no longer have those quirky idle animations. Like Pinkies bouncy idle pose. You can see him from a mile away and unless you gave him a really exaggerated idle animation, it wouldn’t look the same.

You could have each frame a separate voxel model and this would reproduce that look. Otherwise you could make Virtua Fighter type models with intersecting joints and animate them with a skeleton, but it usually looks pretty bad.

When I get a chance I’ll play around with some voxel stuff and see how things look.

Edited by s13n1
1 person likes this

On 29/11/2017 at 11:21 PM, s13n1 said:

Sounds really unoptimized.

So each little voxel was actually being rendered as a six sided poly cube? Sounds disastrous.

What I’m thinking is if an engine was designed to draw a voxel object in place of a texture, every surface in the world would be three demnsional and have loads of detail. You could then use algorithms to automatically fill gaps between certain surfaces, such as the gaps in hex floor tiles where they would meet a wall.

i dont know the intricacies of all that technical stuff when it comes to the renderer and engine, but i do recommend staying away from voxels.
i have a 8core 4.00ghz cpu an it still struggles to run my own mod that uses voxels, to be honest im not sure if gzdoom  utilises all threads from the cpu.
And yes it converts each voxel to a 3 dimensional cube with 4 vertices and 12tris

On 29/11/2017 at 11:21 PM, s13n1 said:

You could have each frame a separate voxel model and this would reproduce that look. Otherwise you could make Virtua Fighter type models with intersecting joints and animate them with a skeleton, but it usually looks pretty bad.

this is the method i use to create animations with voxels, i will admit the conversion process is very long and boring.
And i was only able to export models at 512x512 voxels large which made the larger models look very blocky.

Here is a video demonstrating some of my mods voxels...
Towards the end of the video you will see a flesh like level made entirely of voxels, this has a major hit on performance for almost any system

Spoiler

Edited by Ermin

Wait a moment, how are voxels supposed to be displayed? As sprites in the position of each voxel, or as dots with the space between them interpolated/filled in? or any other way?