Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s13n1

DOOM HD Project

I think I might know why Doomguy’s head looks strange. There are shoulders on picture, and in game there ain’t none.

GoatLord said:

It looks strange because of the limited room for pixels. You end up with very odd facial proportions!

Still, he looked more like himself in the unfinished version, especially in the mouth region.

Someone has got to get these models into Doomsday. I've never been a fan of the old models myself (md2's), but these recapture exactly the way I expect the monsters to look.

Amazing Job sir!

Doomsday supports MD5 now correct? I realize animating these could be tough and potentially more challenging than modeling them originally, but my god man, even low res/low poly versions of these for classic Doom would be epic.

Fusion said:

Someone has got to get these models into Doomsday. I've never been a fan of the old models myself (md2's), but these recapture exactly the way I expect the monsters to look.

Amazing Job sir!

Doomsday supports MD5 now correct? I realize animating these could be tough and potentially more challenging than modeling them originally, but my god man, even low res/low poly versions of these for classic Doom would be epic.

It's going to be a Doom 4 mod if it supports advanced modding. Check his previous posts.

Its not a Doom 4 mod.

I simply said i would support it if the game allows modding.

s13n1 said:

Its not a Doom 4 mod.

I simply said i would support it if the game allows modding.

Oh, sorry for the confusion.

There's going to be a bit of a delay getting anything new posted as I'm not having much luck with MudBox.

I've had issues with crashing in the past, but yesterday i spent a good hour just trying to load the DoomGuy model with no luck. Crashes are completely random, but then after a crash it won't load the last file opened.

It's an issue that plagued the 2014 version and I've not seen a single guaranteed fix anywhere. AutoDesk staff seem to ignore the issue too.

I posted a complaint / question on their official Mudbox help forums yesterday and there has not been a single reply yet. I seen other threads there, months old, that had no replies, so I'm not holding my breath.

I would get the model to load after about 4-5 tries, but because I had saved it in a lower level of detail, when it loads, I step the detail up to high, and it just crashes. It's insanely frustrating.

Luckily I was finally able to get the model to open and I exported it as an .obj

I have started learning Zbrush, which I've been putting off for a long time now, hoping that a fix would come soon from Autodesk.

It's pretty full on, with an interface that looks to have been designed by a blind mole rat, but already I'm impressed with certain aspects of the sculpting system.

If I can sculpt in Zbrush and paint in Mudbox it would be ideal, because the paint system in Mudbox is amazing, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's a shame, cause I was really kicking goals with DoomGuy.

The last pic I posted was pretty shithouse, I had some harsh lighting on I forgot to change before rendering, which killed a lot of the nice detail I had. I'll try and find a newer render and post it when I get home.

I don't know anything about that software, but, in general, unless you're doing some very hackish stuff, it sounds a lot like an unclean install, or a mismatched .dll. Sometimes a program installer will overwrite things like .dlls files, with incompatible versions of those same files. It doesn't happen as much as it used to.

A serious clue is that the developers have no idea how to help you. That's because they did not those install programs in the same order as you.

It might be worth removing the the software completely, and trying to reinstall it from scratch. Just a suggestion - it's worth a shot, if you can.

Believe me, I've tried everything.

Uninstalling Mudbox, restarting machine, working from backup files, updates. You name it.

The problem has been around since the 2014 version. Whatever it is, Autodesk obviously have no idea how to fix it. I've come across a lot of threads on various sites about the same issue.

Sometimes I use Mudbox over a 12-24 hour period with no issues, other times it will crash every 10-30 minutes or will crash within 2 minutes of starting. Usually once a crash occurs and then repeats after trying to reopen the model, it will happen for a long time and won't stop until I've had a break for a while.

Usually the crashes will be maybe once a day but won't happen again for 12-24 hours. Once they happen as soon as you try to reopen the file though, I know it's going to keep happening for a while.

It's random enough that I've considered it a memory leak, but consistent enough when trying to load a model that it's a file corruption issue. Yet I've worked from back up files and brand new unsaved sample assets and had the same crash occur. It's baffling and incredibly annoying.

From what I've been reading, the 2016 version has two new features. Yep, two.
And they charge full price for it. Which is about $750AU.

If Zbrush continues to improve at the rate it does, and can eventually improve their painting tools, Autodesk won't stand a chance.

As it is, it looks as if each new version of Maya includes more features from Mudbox, so i wouldn't be surprised if there's no 2017 version.

I see one good solution - sculpting in Zbrush, exporting as obj, importing to Mudbox and painting. It sounds like 2014 version doing some shit with geometry.

Here is the last render i did in MudBox.

Not a lot of difference to the previous pic, but nicer lighting and a bit more detail.

I didn't use as much Ambient Occlusion in this render and there's no shadows, so it looks a bit more natural.

Doom Guy Head WIP by Doom HD, on Flickr

Overall it's the most accurate rendition of the HUD face I've ever seen, but I have a minor complaint: He looks a bit...cross-eyed!

I like this rendition of the Doom Marine as well. My only criticism, if you can even call it that, is that I think he looks a bit too old. I always thought that the marine looked somewhere between late 20's to mid 30's. Because of the exaggerated facial features (wrinkles etc), he looks more like mid 40's. That been said, this is an incredible job! Great work.

As a quick sidenote, I ran this pic through how-old.net , turns out the marine is 50. :O

Fusion said:

As a quick sidenote, I ran this pic through how-old.net , turns out the marine is 50. :O

I'm mildly surprised it didn't guess him to be more than 50.

Fighting the Hell makes you look older. I read about it in “Cosmopolitan.”

He was about 35 in 1993, so 50s is about right now!

I think the models look absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to see them being animated.

Actually, you should do some small animations (like what they do to promote Team Fortress 2).

s13n1 said:

Here is the last render i did in MudBox.

Not a lot of difference to the previous pic, but nicer lighting and a bit more detail.

I didn't use as much Ambient Occlusion in this render and there's no shadows, so it looks a bit more natural.

https://flic.kr/p/vrdZZNDoom Guy Head WIP by Doom HD, on Flickr

He looks like dad, except he's balld Lawl .

Sorry for the lack of updates, been pretty busy with other things. I haven't got time right now to explain what ive been doing or what im working on, I just wanna post this very early sneak peek and see what people think of it.

e1m1 by Doom HD, on Flickr