Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breezeep

What got you to join Doomworld?

Community Chest 3 and being the final map submission, as I remember it, although I had to use Tormentor667 as a proxy for some posts back in those days as my PC hated Doomworld, for some reason or another...

I got back into Doom, decided to join a forum and DW was the first one that popped up. A bit of a trial by fire considering it was my second forum ever, but I'm still here so I guess I did alright.

I got back into Doom, and I was curious to get info on Doom 4. I also got bored of some of the other forums I post at and wanted to join one with people that had similar interests.

After the collapse of DoomNation and with it, the only active Doom community forum, I pestered Linguica to make one. He let me know as soon as it was up, and I joined immediately.

I lurked for a long time before joining. I think what eventually prompted me to make an account was to show off Sabbat Martyr DM maps or something.

I've been lurking around this site, browsing through the forums/cacowards since 2006. I had always wanted to make an account but never got around to it until this year. I guess it was the desire to finally have a voice in the biggest community for my favorite game that motivated me to click the damn "register" button.

It was before these forums existed. Doomworld was one of a few sites I visited to check on DOOM stuff because it was one of the few games I liked a lot.

Its news comments system was starting to give a "community" air to things. Back then, without popular forums, IRC was a key part of the community, and I occasionally visited #doomroom on EFnet, where Linguica and other people close to Doomworld loitered, although in a period of "community infighting" due to the Doomserv and CSDoom wars. Online play also helped expand what we know as the DOOM community.

I lurked without an account since 2008. I decided to join because my english was getting better and because a guy posted a video with my Arachnotron model in the fan fic section and I decided to comment.

I was denied registration at NewDoom for having an "illegal email address", so you lot were blessed with dubious pleasure of my company.

<JK>

I used to hang out on a Napster server, which moved to Audiognome, and someone was talking about jdoom, calling it doom with awesome graphics. So I downloaded it (my first source port) and joined doomworld to ask questions about jdoom in 2004. Then I got zdaemon and hung out on those forums while making coop maps and playing tons of coop. Then I started making single player maps without worrying about coop and making the server lag with too many monsters, which was awesome not having to worry about that for once, and I came back to doomworld under this name to post maps and demos.

I was a huge fan of Doom, played it all the time, and Doomworld was the first Doom community I came across and I wanted to be a part of it. Course, this was way back in the Stone Age of the Internet, 2000 or somewhere around there, so the whole idea of being able to post messages in a public forum like this was completely new to me. It's kinda surreal, in a way - I joined when I was like 14, and I'm gonna be 31 in a month or so, and I've been part of this community all that time. Given all that's changed over that time, this forum may, in fact, be one of the most constant things in my life, as terrifying as that sounds to say.

I joined shortly after the release of Deus Vult, otherwise known as dv.wad. I became obsessed with its extreme nature and all the demos that were recorded for it, also prompted by deathzor's favorable review in an edition of the /newstuff chronicles. I lurked for way too long before joining. It took something of a commitment for me to actually register. I just "liked playing Doom" before I became a "Doomer".

I also marveled at the likes of requiem.wad, av.wad, and hr.wad in the times before all this. I had been lurking since 2002. After all I had been playing Doom since I sat on my father's lap. He worked the controls and I handled the FIRE and INTERACT buttons, also known as CTRL and SPACEBAR. I would imitate Doomguy's bloody facial expressions by covering my face with my free hand to imitate his bloodied visage. And I would also play imaginary Doom maps inside my house, using a water pistol and covering up my face to imitate Doomguy's wound. I would cover my face in different manners to replicate the 5 different "bloody expressions" of Doomguy's face. And I used to draw Doom maps on pieces of 8.5x11" pieces of white paper. Then I would label the different items and monster placements.

TimeofDeath said:
Then I got zdaemon and hung out on those forums while making coop maps and playing tons of coop.

Also, TimeofDeath, your coopmaps are fucking awesome, I used to play them all the time on ZDaemon and on countless LAN sessions with my father. Fucking sick, man.

TimeOfDeath said:
I used to hang out on a Napster server, which moved to Audiognome, and someone was talking about jdoom, calling it doom with awesome graphics. So I downloaded it (my first source port) and joined doomworld to ask questions about jdoom in 2004.

That reminds me that in a sense I "knew you" before you joined the community, because I randomly downloaded some music from your first album from the internet when it was more or less new.

I was working on a conversion of all Doom levels to DN3D, and needed to question the legality beyond E1

Spoiler

I got about halfway through E2M2, then gave up

I was already 'ghost' on newdoom forums (Lol) but I signed up here just so I could view attached demos in the demo forums. Then I participated in claustrophobia 1024, and then the story continued.

To tell about Doom0 and just for the sake of being a member of a doom forum. Later I realized Doom0 sucked so I restarted it.

I got into Doom pretty much as it came out and I knew about MODs as my friend had a CD with WADED and some custom maps. It never felt like something I really wanted to get into as I had no internet at the time and the WADs I played gave me the impression it was not really possible to build anything to the standard of the IWAD levels (except Crossing Acheron). Quake, Duke3D and GTA came out and I moved on from Doom.

Years later I decide I want to make my own FPS and after toying with a Quake, Quake II and Duke editors I decide I would be best doing a Doom TC. I joined Doomworld for a place to ask questions, the TC idea got abandoned and I stayed because of the thriving modding scene and community.

Doom 3 was about to come out and I wanted somewhere to talk about that.

Doomworld was a suitable orifice to accommodate my nerd boner.

I knew about Doomworld for awhile before I wandered over here back in 2000 and registered. I don't recall exactly why other than it made sense to do so at the time.