Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

What is your favorite game besides Doom?

I'll start with some of mine.

Resident Evil 4 - It's a classic and basically the Doom 64 of the series. I like games that manage to combine dark ambience and action effectively like that.

Team Fortress 2- Versus Saxton Hale is surprisingly great.

There's no way around it, it'd have to be Team Fortress 2 - just logged way too many thousands of hours playing for it to be anything else. If I had to choose a second place, because that's a boring choice and I don't like my other favorite game also being an FPS... I dunno, there are far too many contenders. Eh, I'd probably go with the NES, as a whole. If I'm not playing Doom or TF2, I'm probably playing an old NES game.

Football Manager. It's pretty much the only game I play on my own other than Doom.

It's hard to say, Duke Nukem 3D could be it but 500+ hours of Fallout New Vegas says otherwise. Then there is Worms World Party to consider and then some Half-Life...

It really is hard to choose but I would have to go with Duke.

Dwarf Fortress
Nethack
ADOM
Freespace (Source Code Project or Open, whatever you wanna describe it.)
Minecraft

Those are my frequent games I play, though ADOM and Nethack has now less love because I got slightly bored of them and Dorf Fort came .40. Also, upgraded Freespace to 3.6.12, but this shitty laptop don't cut it anymore.

close tie between Streets of Rage, Contra, and Grand Theft Auto 2. Only games I ever genuinely feel like "coming back to" after Doom. Contra is in desperate need of a PC version with modding flexibility btw. I'm scared it might never happen.

I use to be heavily into Armored Core, but not so much these days. The newer games lack some of the elements I enjoyed in the past titles. Though I occasionally play through the PS1/PS2 era games from time to time.

Another would be the Sonic games, though again my interest in the modern versions of the game is basically nil. I play through the Genesis-era titles regularly.

Now that I think about it, the only game that I've been playing regularly and really enjoying is Nuclear Throne. It's one of those games that I latch onto and play for an hour or two almost daily, much like I do with Doom or I use to do with Armored Core.

Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate
Morrowind
Fallout New Vegas
Banjo Kazooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark.

Super Metroid + various other SM hacks.
All 2D Castlevania titles (especially the Metroidvania ones).

Doominator2 said:

Planescape Torment

Oh i really need to replay this somewhen, brilliant RPG.

Albion. Alpha Centauri. Ascendancy. Huh, it's like there's a pattern there. But there's also Dark Forces, Monkey Island 2, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, Tyrian and god of games, Supaplex.

Elastomania, it seems godly in its gameplay complexity. Been playing it for several years and I still suck major ass. Maybe in 10 more years...

C&C, namely Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. I like the whole series in general though, even 4 is pretty fun, if borderline mindless, in multiplayer.
I'm also sucker for Quake, especially 1, 2 is great as well, but doesn't come close in terms of atmosphere and grimness. Used to play Q3:A a lot many years ago, but I doubt I'll ever return to it.
Heretic and Hexen... well, yes, but after beating all of those several times and playing quite a bunch of Heretic pwads I don't feel enthusiastic about them anymore.

Oh, and Painkiller, I guess. After Overdose it's more like a shitfest, but I've still finished each and every expansion more than once. Even with poor amateurish execution the gameplay and feel are hard to ruin completely.

Duke Nukem 3D. Quake 3 Arena. (favorites behind Doom)

Jetpack. The Incredible Machine. Destruction Carnival. (great games)

Quake 1. ROTT. (I like them quite a lot)

Heretic, Hexen, Hexen II.
Quake 1, 2, 4, ET:QW.
Contra Hard Corps, Contra Shattered Soldier, Contra 4 (seems like the best Contra game atm).
Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
Natural Selection 2. I enjoy it far more than any other multiplayer game.
Red Alert 2.

There's a lot, but to name some of my best:

-Blood
-Terraria
-Tomb Raider 1 through 5 (Anniversary and Underworld are alright too)
-Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (i'm possibly the only one who likes it)

I would name others but that's probably enough to get the gist.

I don't find myself playing all that much these days. Actually I'm more into trying to hammer out some Doom maps.

Quake
Quake 2
Minecraft
Oblivion
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Guild Wars 2

Diablo - "Aaaahhh, fresh meat!"
Baldur's Gate - "You must gather your party before venturing forth."

Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite game besides Doom. I would go so far to say I like SMB3 more than Doom but I can only play the same levels for SMB3.

This is a tough one... I have to say the classic Mario titles, though. In order:
-Super Mario World
-SMB3
-SMB1 (I've gotten within like 25 seconds of the world record on this one, still trying for it in futility...)
-SMB2: Lost Levels
-Mario Sunshine (I see this one as a work of art)
-Mario 64
-Mario 2 (Doki Doki)

But I also LOVE Street Fighter 2 and SF Alpha. Hot damn thems good games.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite game besides Doom. I would go so far to say I like SMB3 more than Doom but I can only play the same levels for SMB3.

Duuude, you really should download some Mario 3 patches - There are some excellent user made maps out there! All you need is an emulator and Lunar IPS, it's easy as hell and damn fun. I recommend SMB Blue, Mario Adventure and Usual Day, great map packs.

Doomkid said:

Duuude, you really should download some Mario 3 patches - There are some excellent user made maps out there! All you need is an emulator and Lunar IPS, it's easy as hell and damn fun. I recommend SMB Blue, Mario Adventure and Usual Day, great map packs.

Yeah I had no idea there was fan-made stuff. It isn't like those ridiculously difficult fan-made levels that I have seen Youtube videos is it? Are they legit levels that have virtually the same range of difficulty as the original SMB3 from 1-1 to Bowser's Castle? If so, I will take you up on that, good sir.

Doom is my all time favorite shooter especially for multiplayer. My second favorite shooter is hands down Black for the Playstation 2:

My only grip with it is that it isn't implemented for multiplayer, especially deathmatch.

Diablo 2
Blood
Shadow Warrior
Max Payne
Age of Pirates 2 City of Abandoned Ships
Morrowind
Oblivion
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Armored Core (PSX variants)
Red Alert 2
Company of Heroes
Super Contra