Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

What color is GreyGhost's avatar?

So, on my PC, it's red, white and blue, but on my ipad, it's a solid dark pink color. I noticed this a few months ago, thought it would change, but it hasn't:

Pink: http://i.imgur.com/VlibEkY.jpg

RWB: http://i.imgur.com/SREDLYV.jpg

Although I'm sure the pink version is a glitch, I'm curious - Which color is it on your end, and what kind of device are you using? How is it that every other animated GIF displays the right colors but this one?

Weird, man.

I think some browsers\settings give everything on the internet a weird red tint. I noticed that on my father's PC all avatars and screenshots posted on this forum have that tint for some reason.

The gif is red, white and blue, with cyan for the transparent background. Any other colour you see is probably a glitch.

It used to be a hypercube, but now I suppose it's a hyperfish(?)

OT, mobile browsers often do weird things with animated/transparent web gifs. I wonder why it's not yet possible to make a mobile browser based 1:1 on a desktop one, without compromises, shortcuts or "mobile sites"?

After all, I can run Chrome, Firefox and even IE 9 on a-shit old Pentium I, and with a Pentium III and the "luxury" of 256 MB+ of RAM, I can even "dare" use Javascript-heavy sites. It's pointless cramming 4 or 8 multi-GHz cores and boast 1 GB of RAM, if you can't even browse the same sites a shitty Pentium III PC with Windows XP can, without compromises!

That's the idea - i think it was changed a little while back during one of the great Doomworld fish threads.

GreyGhost said:

The gif is red, white and blue, with cyan for the transparent background. Any other colour you see is probably a glitch.

All I see is Merica.

Maes said:

It's pointless cramming 4 or 8 multi-GHz cores and boast 1 GB of RAM, if you can't even browse the same sites a shitty Pentium III PC with Windows XP can, without compromises!

That's an iPad for ya - There are a shit ton of other odd side effects I get while using it that I never experienced on any of my PCs of any age. For what it is, I like it (great to have music & internet on the go and not have to strain my eyes looking at a tiny cell phone screen) but you'd think that kind of stuff would have been ironed out somewhere along the way, something as basic as animated GIF compatibility.

geo said:

All I see is Merica.

There are 29 countries with flags made up of Red White and Blue. Plus a few more with some other colours/symbols as well. Your "Merica" uses on of the most common colour combos for it's flag. Freedom I guess.

Doom kid, does everyone's avatar glitch up? Like maybe mine or Cragser for example?

It could be GreyGhost trolling you in some sadistic, but funny, way..

Fellowzdoomer said:

Or I have an unusual form of colour blindness without realizing it, in which case the joke's on me. ;)

Maes said:

I wonder why it's not yet possible

It is possible, and in fact would be easier, for them to make a browser like that. It would be totally impractical to use with a touch screen because links are too small (or unreadable in general), or in the worst case you would have like 2 words per line of text because the assumption that everyone has a screen width >= 1024 pixels is broken.

Ever since the iPhone came out, mobile websites have always been about making the page more usable on a small screen rather than because the device can't handle it. It might be debatable if the web developers achieve that goal though.

Captain Toenail said:

When I browse the forum with Firefox on my Android phone, every second post or so glitches up with massive font sizes. It's really annoying.

Now this I can't really explain. It's gotten better over time, but it still happens. I usually just use Chrome unless I need to log into a website for this reason.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Doom kid, does everyone's avatar glitch up? Like maybe mine or Cragser for example?

Nope, oddly enough, it's just GreyGhost's.

Captain Toenail said:

When I browse the forum with Firefox on my Android phone, every second post or so glitches up with massive font sizes. It's really annoying.

I've gotten this on occasion, but it's rare enough for me to deal with it. Still very annoying, but I think it might be the device itself, it happens to me on other forums as well.

I've never seen any strangely-coloured gifs on any platform, but on my old iPhone I use Mercury instead of Safari, so I couldn't say how Safari renders DW.

Chrome on my Nexus 7 is almost identical to the PC version. The biggest difference is clicking a small link (or a link in a group) will zoom the area where you clicked so you can click accurately on the link you want.

The thing that pisses me off about mobile browsers is the way they zoom. They really need a toggle mode to force the page to stay within the width of the screen and do intelligent zooming like PC browsers do now. Scrolling pages horizontally sucks and an entire generation of developers should be ashamed of themselves for making it so common.

EDIT: GreyGhost's avatar renders correctly on both browsers on my iPhone. Neither one is current; nor is the OS.

Not meant to have the light grey background I'm seeing.

Doomkid said:

Nope, oddly enough, it's just GreyGhost's.

Might have something to do with the gif animator andrewj used, is this one better behaved?

One thing I notice that's a bit uncommon with GreyGhosts's avatar is that the palette is only 4 colours. I wonder if the iPad browser doesn't handle such things properly?

Not meant to have the light grey background I'm seeing.

Firefox displays the background of transparent images as light grey. Mine should have it too if you right click -> View image.

plums said:

Firefox displays the background of transparent images as light grey. Mine should have it too if you right click -> View image.

Whereas if you select View Image Info it's a white background, you'd think they could at least try to be consistent.

Blzut3 said:

It is possible, and in fact would be easier, for them to make a browser like that. It would be totally impractical to use with a touch screen because links are too small (or unreadable in general), or in the worst case you would have like 2 words per line of text because the assumption that everyone has a screen width >= 1024 pixels is broken.

Then I must be getting the worst of two worlds :-) On my Android device, when I browse e.g. DW or any other non-mobile-enabled website, I get exactly the micro-links etc. you mentioned, but most Javascript and related functionality will be kaputt.

Zooming takes case of size issues though, but the problem of having sub-functional browsers on mobile remains. Why do you think that most mobile apps are essentially ad-hoc executable website surrogates?

Sometimes animated GIFS don't really animate for me. Maes, for example, stopped at a frame, then went on as usual. Sometimes they're still avatars. I will ask this though...

Does Aliotroph have an avatar?

Captain Toenail said:

Same here. You have to like zoom in then zoom out over and over again.