Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Should there be another Doom film?

Humanity said:

No. I just don't see a way Doom could be made into a movie that would actually be good.

Aliens? Though in reality, the inspiration went the other way around...

Also, Event Horizon if you want something a bit more supernatural.

But the real question here is whether there should be a Doom game based on the Doom film, kinda like there was a Street Fighter the Movie: The Game.

Maes said:

But the real question here is whether there should be a Doom game based on the Doom film, kinda like there was a Street Fighter the Movie: The Game.

Does Legacy of Suffering count? :P

That said, personally I think there should be another Doom game full stop :trollface:

I would like to see a new one done right, but like everyone else here I think they would need to actually make them demons instead of genetically mutated humans to interest me :P
And to show off Hell and all the pinkies, hell knights and arch-viles effectively they'd need quite a large budget, which film studios and corps don't seem willing to grant most video-game movies (including the Doom movie that was previously made).

'It just needs to follow the vibe of Aliens, with some good characters and an interesting surrounding human universe.

I was disappointed that "The Rock" wasn't the good guy in the Doom movie. And first-person sequence aside, the movie was kind of meh.

No, there shouldn't be another Doom film.

How about...a Doom film of a playthrough of Doom, but rendered so it looks life-like. I'd watch the shit out of that.

Kotzugi said:

How about...a Doom film of a playthrough of Doom, but rendered so it looks life-like. I'd watch the shit out of that.

Unless you're being sarcastic, longplays don't translate to screenplays very well, unless you like boring the audience.

Sodaholic said:

Unless you're being sarcastic, longplays don't translate to screenplays very well, unless you like boring the audience.

Obviously I wasn't talking about screenplays. Should I have said "video" instead of "film"? My bad.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Dude, just look on youtube.

I've watched thousands of gameplay videos, but never once saw a high-quality rendered version. In case you didn't get it, I meant of the quality you see in the intros of modern games. So it would almost be like real life Doom.

Fellowzdoomer said:

What about a Descent movie?

I could get behind that, just so long as barf bags are made to be mandatory movie-goer accessories, in advance. Audience reactions would be almost as entertaining as the film itself, I'd imagine.

I've had a marathon of watching Nehahra for Quake and the 3 episodes of Doom Dudes on YouTube. Later, I'm going to watch the Lego Doom animations again. I'd really like to see either some more Doom machinima or stop motion stuff. Anything animated really. I think animation of any sort pretty much compliments the abstract nature of the Doom aesthetic... I wish there were more Doom Dudes though. :)

GoatLord said:

Pardon? Can you offer any information on this?

All I meant was there was a thread started about something like that a year or so ago but I don't remember the title and if it had reliable info or not linked in it.

Inkie said:

Our movie begins with a squad of four space marines, whom usually address one another by callsign: Green, Red, Blue, and Indigo. It's been at least a day from entering the hell-dimention, with the group moving towards what they believe to be home fortress of the invaders.

The bulk of the movie revolves around the survival of our heroes, as they overcome the hostility and bizarreness of hell as well as its demon inhabitants. They are always being hunted as even the surreal environment seeks to swallow them.

Story is mostly given out by a log written by one of the marines, describing some of what happened in the Phobos/Deminos bases, the places they encounter in hell, as well as the eroding of his comrade marines.

The climax is part action part infiltration as they enter the hell-fortress. Lots of demons to kill, with a giant cyborg demon guarding the outer portion of the fort. Wits rather than firepower is needed to defeat him, perhaps getting demon infighting involved.

Eventually they get to the center to meet the spider mastermind, and defeat it. Its death throws and ensuring explosion kill whatever is left of the demons, and leaves a tear in the dimensions as a portal.

The survivors walk thru the portal to find themselves in a countryside on earth. However, upon walking just over the hill, they see a city in ruins, dark portals opening in the sky and ground below, pouring out vile creatures. Hell on Earth.

Boom, Movie

I like the way you think.

The Rock and Karl Urban: great dudes wasted on that flick. The FPS sequence had a couple of cool moments, like the very beginning, the reflection headshot and the Pinky fight.

I liked the ancient artifacts. In both Doom 3 and the movie the ancient civilization is intriguing.

The movie was visually boring. One of the best moments is when Karl Urban looks out a window, and that's because it visually conveys that this is a futuristic environment and an alien planet. Then it went back to straight-to-DVD empty corridors. The same corridors with a couple of pipes, smoke and random-ass Doom 3 style machinery would look a lot better. There's NOTHING exciting about a bunch of dudes walking slowly down an empty grey hallway.

I apologize for the necro, but I found this very interesting. For a new Doom movie, couldn't they just combine the foreboding atmosphere of Alien(s), the relentless supernatural suspense of Night of the Living Dead, and the badassery and gunplay of Rambo to make a new Doom movie? They could use the old Doom novels for story and script, as well. I'd love to see a new Doom movie, but one where the people who make it actually care enough to make it a decent movie and not a quick cash in.

I mentioned this in another thread a while back, but I think the Doom novels would make great movie adaptations. The style of the books is almost cinematic by itself, so they wouldn't be too hard to translate to the big screen either.

Exactly! The books provide more than enough material to create a good film. Even without the books the script pretty much writes itself - survival horror featuring a spooky atmosphere, great gun fights, and a lot of gore. How they screwed up something so simple is beyond me, however, I would be very interested in seeing someone actually make another film if they cared enough to actually make a solid movie that's not a total cash-in/gimmick.

Doom should rather be a cartoon series, where our squad of space marines fights against demons for 20 minutes each episode, against an evil squad of demon lords (think Icon of Sin, Cyberdemons and Spiderdemons), who keep bickering and acting evil. As the series progresses, they could introduce new monsters, new villains (worse than the last) and new planets.

A mainstream feature film would be too much; an all-CGI cartoon of short episodes would be just right.