Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FLAW_88

What does everyone think the Beta will be like?

I know Betas usually mean multiplayer but for some reason I'm thinking this will be a glimpse of single player gameplay. Any thought's Concerns?...

That is an interesting aspect which I've overlooked. And id did say something about the multiplayer being developed seperately.

Yea that's what has me thinking it may be some sort of campaign look at what it's going to be like. But at the same time they do have to test their servers...

I do think your right, the beta will most likely be a single player campaign slice.

The thing that concerns me is that I fear the beta will be more like a short demo, with a climactic end sequence followed by "Thanks for playing the DooM Beta…".

So main concern is that the beta is just going to be a short polished demo and not a beta in the sense that we can leave feedback, find bugs and help improve the game.

Of course it will be a short demo map. You don't expect a "full game which we can help improve" do you? That would be too easy ;)

Patrol1985 said:

Of course it will be a short demo map. You don't expect a "full game which we can help improve" do you? That would be too easy ;)

I hope there is at least SOME build-up on introducing monsters and weapons, and it's not just like a "Here's a shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, BFG, chaingun, machinegun, plasma rifle, 12 backpacks of ammo, revenants, mancubi, shotgunguys, and everything else. Go crazy in these rooms of many demons!" sort of thing.

I for one won't put too much faith in what's shown in the beta (assuming that it is shown) and will judge the game once it's released, because historically id has this habit of altering their finished product from whatever that gets shown during the beta/demo phases. The original DOOM beta, the notorious DOOM 3 Alpha are good examples to backup my claim. Didn't the reveal at Quakecon '14 come with a disclaimer that whatever that's shown represents very early stage of development and isn't indicative of the finished product, which was the key reason behind a closed reveal in the first place?

romulus_ut3 said:

We'll get all our answers after E3, hopefully.

Or Bethesda will announce...

Spoiler

ESO Expansions

I completely forgot about the beta. I did pre-order Wolfenstein so I should have access to it... whenever it appears...

Can we expect Doom 4 footage soon?

Captain Toenail said:

I completely forgot about the beta. I did pre-order Wolfenstein so I should have access to it... whenever it appears...

Can we expect Doom 4 footage soon?

Another "Reveal at Quakecon" teaser at the E3 probably.

Hoping for the game to have seperate levels like the classics, completely abstract, I don't care about realism or logic. And then I hope the beta is a solid third of the game like Doom's shareware. Not holding my breath however.

RottingZombie said:

Hoping for the game to have seperate levels like the classics, completely abstract, I don't care about realism or logic. And then I hope the beta is a solid third of the game like Doom's shareware. Not holding my breath however.

You shouldn't. Abstract level design is totally inappropriate for modern visuals.

DooM_RO said:

You shouldn't. Abstract level design is totally inappropriate for modern visuals.

The main reason Doom has abstract levels is the hardware limitations back in 1993. But it is totally innapropriate if they want Doom to be a relevant AAA game nowadays. Just look at ROTT remake, it's ok to have abstract levels, it's a indie game without any intention to be big.

Kaskaum said:

The main reason Doom has abstract levels is the hardware limitations back in 1993. But it is totally innapropriate if they want Doom to be a relevant AAA game nowadays. Just look at ROTT remake, it's ok to have abstract levels, it's a indie game without any intention to be big.

The levels in ROTT felt really out of place.

William Blazkowicz said:

I hope there is at least SOME build-up on introducing monsters and weapons, and it's not just like a "Here's a shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, BFG, chaingun, machinegun, plasma rifle, 12 backpacks of ammo, revenants, mancubi, shotgunguys, and everything else. Go crazy in these rooms of many demons!" sort of thing.

That's kind of what the reveal was, which is why I don't think those maps will make any official appearance.

A broken buggy game like every other AAA game that people will hate because its not doom 1 or 2