Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
flubbernugget

Mafia 5: The New Host

With TheCupboard's permission I have been given the honor to host the next round of mafia, assuming it holds interest. Much like the first, second, third & soon to be concluded doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/69153-mafia-round-4-day-5/] fourth , a group of townies will be pitted against a smaller group of mafia. The town tries to lynch off the mafia while the mafia tries to kill off the town.

It's late tonight, so I will post the roles I have in mind within two days, hopefully tomorrow, but now seems like a good time to start our sign ups.

My hosting will probably differ slightly from TheCupboard's, so I will post my own specific set of rules in the next few days as well. Please help me to find any ambiguities in the rules I write before the game starts so everything can go as smoothly as possible.

RULES:

1) Bold all votes. They will be ignored otherwise.

2) It takes %50 + 1 votes to lynch. Lynch is achieved as soon as the required number of votes is counted, where all the votes are counted from the top of the thread to the bottom of the thread. This means that not everyone will have to vote to achieve their lynch, and that if someone unvotes after there has been a majority vote reached, the target is dead.

3) I can make these rules as detailed as I want, and there will still be something I miss. Any questions you have once the game starts you can pm to me. I will anonymously quote you and answer your question in the thread to clear up any confusion to everyone. This will be at my discretion. If I feel the answer to a question will reveal too much information I may handle answering it differently, but will inform you of what I'm going to do and why. In the event of an ambiguity that comes up that has yet to be discussed, I will try to follow the rules by their intent and not their letter.

4) Quoted for elegance:

CorSair said:

Yo shithead, stop editing your posts.

5) Please don't pm anyone about the game or talk about it by any other means outside this thread unless it's night and you are mafia, or are given explicit permission to do so.

6) If your are going to pm me a night action, pm me a backup target as well. If I have no backup and your first target dies, you wasted your night action on a dead guy. There are some roles like the doctor that will never need a backup, but I won't hold an unnecessary backup target against you.

7) This may or may not be relevant, so I will include it just in case. Whichever mafia agent pm's me who they are killing for the night will be declared as visiting their victim.

8) Anyone willing to proofread this wall of text gets brownie points. After you have acquired infinity brownie points, I will grant you the power to access your true form.

9) Any requests to modify the rules pre-game will be considered. However, I am admitting right now that this is a subjective statement.

10) All players reserve the right to withold from performing a night action on any given night unless otherwise specified.

11) 48 hours of inactivity gets you a public prod. After 48 additional hours of inactivity, I will begin to search for a replacement for you.

12) Win conditions: The town wins if the mafia's numbers are zero. The mafia wins if the number of villagers is equal to the number of mafia, assuming the mastermind is not in play/dead. See the mastermind for details.

13)You guys have been really good about participation after you have died, so I really don't think we need a rule about it. Just keep your head on your shoulders.

14) After the game winning play of round 4 I am going to have to ask that nobody reveals any information given in pm except for me (see rule 3).

15) It is in your best interest to check this post for changes to rules and roles while I am fully fleshing them out.

ROLES:

Town:

Doctor: Visits one person every night. The visited person is protected from death that night. Cannot protect themselves.

Cop/Investigator: Visits one person every night. Learns the true alignment if that person.

Insane Cop/Investigator: Visits one person every night. Gets a randomly chosen alignment that doesn't correspond to the true alignment of the individual. The player deemed insane will not be informed his results are unreliable, and upon his death, the insane cop will flip as a regular cop.

Gunsmith: Visits one person at night. That person receives a gun. The gunsmith cannot visit themselves. Can only do this once.

If you are gunned, you must note who you are going to shoot in bold letters (ie: shoot Flubbernugget or shoot JFK) publicly in the main thread. The day will continue after someone has been shot.

2 Shot Bulletproof: Able to survive a single attempted kill.

Button Pusher: Message me to press the big red button. Something will happen. You can only do this once.

Watcher: Picks someone to visit at night. Will be informed of who visited that person at night.

The following roles won't necessarily win with the town, but will show up as innocent on sane cop reports.

Deranged Hooker: Picks a different person each night. That person is both role blocked and infected. The deranged hooker wins if and only if everyone alive at endgame is infected.

Traitor: Just a vanilla townie with one catch: he only wins if the mafia win!

Mafia:

Stalker: Visits one person each night. Learns the role of that person.

Hypnotist: Picks one word each night. The length of the word must be at least 6 letters long. The word must be said exactly as sent to me during the night. As soon I see anyone say that word during the next day, they fall into a hypnosis and kill themselves, ending the day. I reserve the right to change the functionality of this role if I find it to be too powerful. Everyone will be notified of any changes if they happen.

The following role won't end up winning with the mafia, but will still be seen as mafia in the sane cop's reports.

Mastermind: As long as the mastermind is alive in the game, the mafia will not be informed of their partner's roles. If the mastermind is still alive when the mafia's win condition is fulfilled, the mastermind wins and the mafia loses.

1)GreyGhost - Doctor - Killed night two.
2)Doominator2 - Button Pusher - Survived!
3)Membrain - Traitor - Shot day two.
4)TheCupboard - Replaced by GreyGhost - Killed night three.
5)RUSH - Insane Cop - Survived!
6)Cacatou - Stalker - Survived!
7)Jimi - Deranged Hooker - Lynched night four. Could not infect the town.
8)Kirby - Mastermind - Hypnotized day two.
9)General Rainbow Bacon - Sane Cop - Lynched day one.
10)CorSair - Gunsmith - Killed night one.
11)Quast - Hypnotist - Survived!
12)Bytor - Bulletproof - Lynched night 2

MAFIA WINS!!

Present and accounted for. I'm sure more than a few people would like to take a swing at me after what happened to them in the previous 4 rounds. :p

I'll join in. What if the voodoo lady picks some common word like: the, this, or, that and and and then people die really fast?

Jimi said:

I'll join in. What if the voodoo lady picks some common word like: the, this, or, that and and and then people die really fast?

I'm thinking about making the word length 5 or 6+ letters. I'm still keeping the specifics of this role vague because it's going to need really granular modifications based on how many players we have to keep it balanced.

Right now there's two alignments. Mafia and town. There are 2 town roles that don't win with the town and one mafia role that doesn't win with the mafia. If I get a general concensus that the new roles are too confusing, I'll try to reform the game, but I'm trying to make it so everyone has something interesting to play with while still keeping the game balanced.

If a gunned person shoots someone, does the day continue after the shooting? And can he shoot more than one person?

And the Kill words, do everyone who said them, before night was declared, die?

flubbernugget said:

Voodoo Lady:. . .
. . .I am looking for name change suggestions for this role to make it sound more mafia-like if at all possible.

Hypnotist? It'd be a variant of an old spy movie trope where hypnotic suggestion is used to turn ordinary people into single-minded assassins when they hear a trigger word.

Jimi said:

If a gunned person shoots someone, does the day continue after the shooting? And can he shoot more than one person?

And the Kill words, do everyone who said them, before night was declared, die?

The person with the gun gets one shot. The day continues afterwards.

Only the first person to say the word will die.

GreyGhost said:

Hypnotist? It'd be a variant of an old spy movie trope where hypnotic suggestion is used to turn ordinary people into single-minded assassins when they hear a trigger word.

Dude that's sweet. Done.

Mafia 4 has me asking; Is this supposed to be a role-playing game? If so, any communication (PMs) between Player and Dungeon Master should never be displayed or mentioned. The Dungeon Master is lending himself as the games 'engine'. Players are leaving their roles and the integrity of the game is compromised when the players start pointing at the game's mechanics.

It's just a question and my two cents. The "Mafia vs Townsfolk" angle led me to believe that it was role-playing when I joined the last one.

bytor said:

Mafia 4 has me asking; Is this supposed to be a role-playing game? If so, any communication (PMs) between Player and Dungeon Master should never be displayed or mentioned. The Dungeon Master is lending himself as the games 'engine'. Players are leaving their roles and the integrity of the game is compromised when the players start pointing at the game's mechanics.

It's just a question and my two cents. The "Mafia vs Townsfolk" angle led me to believe that it was role-playing when I joined the last one.

If it means I can't clarify anything once the game starts, then no, it is not a role playing game.

flubbernugget said:

If it means I can't clarify anything once the game starts...

This isn't what I was saying at all. Thanks for the reply, though. I look forward to enjoying this from the sideline.

C'mon Bytor you can't win if you don't pick a side! You were a feisty player in round 4, seemingly adept at the art of deception and deflection. It is zero fun for spectators, honestly, you always want to poke your imaginary stick at somebody!! >:)

Looking for at least one more player, although two would be appreciated. I'll try to come up with another role if needed so nobody gets the vanilla short stick.

Good to see you bytor!! I definitely would have missed you.

Okay, I've got the final role thought out. I'm going to post it, and I will wait 48 hours for any additional sign ins or drop outs before distributing roles. Good luck, and happy scum hunting!!

I will be distributing roles shortly. Please respond to my PM with a confirmation PM once you have received it. I will be waiting for 9 confirmations before starting the game. Please also note that the Internet Troll role has been changed to the Watcher. After thinking about it a little more, the Internet Troll seems to be a boring role to have to play in a setup like this. Good luck, and happy scum hunting!

We have 10 confirmed as of the time of this edit. It is late tonight; I will have the opening post ready tomorrow.

Welcome back townspeople!! After the perilous struggle you all had from outing the mafia yet again, you enjoyed peace for many years.

That is until today. 

Off from one of the highest hills on the far edge of your town, an innocent villager noticed a figure running towards the village. There was something odd about the figure.

As the figure grew closer,  and easier to see, it appeared as though the individual was flailing his arms around like some dim-wit, while screaming about how perfect his mapping skills were. It was perfect insanity indeed.

A loud crack filled the air, and the figure hit the ground, twitching in blood and choking on his own drool. He had been shot. Everyone looked back to where the shot came from to see another villager. His face was mangled in horror as he dropped a shotgun from his hands, trying to contemplate what had just happened.

The town surrounded the now dead freak, noticing in one of his hands a strange flash drive. The resident town Java programmer, still thinking this would be 100 times worse if he still lived in Greece, took the flash drive, and walked off with it, promising the town he would investigate what was going on by tomorrow. 

24 hours passed,  and Maes had this to say:

"His flash drive was nothing but WADs. Map lumps, to be specific. The maps were terrible. Almost trollish."

The town's eyebrows collectively raised. Almost  trollish?

"But they didn't go out of their way to make these maps obnoxious. All of the maps were just flat, amorphous shapes. Maybe a door or two. I thought I was playing a Wolfenstein map with angled walls."

The town mumbled amongst themselves, discussing the intentions of the mad man and his strange maps.

You could almost see the lightbulb over his head as one of the townies proclaimed, "there is only one man that had ever tried to map in such a poor style legitimately!" 

The town shuddered as they finally realized what happened. The mafia was back, and their first plan of attack was to unban cjwright.

I guess the terrywads were too predictable this time ;)

With 12 alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch. Have fun!

Hey everybody, good to see a couple new faces and some old ones.

So it looks like there are 3 Mafia + 1 anti-Town vs 7 pro-Town players vs 1 infected "Deranged" player (the infected player being an independent faction). That doesn't seem beyond our ability to figure out, given enough time and sticks of chewing gum.

Ok, so we have a lot of time to figure out who the scum are, but it seems like this probably needs to wrap up within 4-7 days (just a guess) so that the Mafia or Deranged faction can't hijack the lynch process.

Good luck figuring your roles out everybody, see you around