Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

...la shub-niggurath...

Maskim Xul is a WIP 3-map wad for Boom I'm currently working on that incorporates new monsters and weapons, Lovecraftian themes and my ridiculous infatuation with building library maps into one gaming experience. It'll take a while to fully realize this holy abomination(think a central map the size of a Vela Pax map), but I'm hoping I'll be able to pull it off and finally make a map that isn't bite-sized for once. :P So far I've completed the first map and I'm slowly building up the second: I should be done by 2025![/silly]

At the moment I currently need 2 things:

-A sprite artist to design the final boss.
-A musician to compose a good MIDI that suits the wad(I'm also thinking of commissioning a track that plays in ZDoom-derived ports as well to give a different experience, DVII-style)
Anyone who feels up to making the music track will receive the current beta of Maskim Xul so they can gauge the overall feel and make a track to match.

And now for your viewing pleasure a video of the intro map and some screenies of the main attraction.

Coming soon...

Hah, cool. Video reminds me of Endocrine, curious to see how it connects to a library.

While I'm a good graphics monkey I can't draw worth a damn, and I haven't composed anything in quite a while, so I don't know that I can offer my services here. Certainly up for beta-testing when the time comes, though.

BTW PrBoom+ can play lots of music types besides MIDI. I don't think it supports quite as many formats as ZDoom, but you can do OGG and tracker mods, which should be all you need. Actually maybe I could try composing something, if it's not MIDI...

That room with the laser beams looks like it would be fun to traverse. :P

Looks pretty good so far. :)

Very nice stuff! Those laser gates are really impressive, and you've got some other neat things going on as well.

Also, don't let the sidedef demon get you ;)

I will look forward to it, I'm fond of very large/long maps (assuming they've a good reason to be large/long, of course). I also think that working with a large space and no time limit should offer you all kinds of scope for making something really memorable out of all that Rube Golbergian linedef-effect trickery that you've made your signature.

Edit: Also, there can never be enough Doom libraries. NEVER.

Ashstrodamus said:

I've played guitar for 26 years. Is there any free midi program I can use to compose or convert my tracks?

Anvil Studio.
Sekaiju.

Just off the top of my head.

So far I think that's Plums, Jmickle, Fellowzdoomer and Ashtrodamus who are interested in composing, be it MIDI or otherwise. Let me know when you guys are ready and I'll PM you the beta.

Obsidian said:

So far I think that's Plums, Jmickle, Fellowzdoomer and Ashtrodamus who are interested in composing, be it MIDI or otherwise. Let me know when you guys are ready and I'll PM you the beta.

Being the lazy person that I am, I'm quite happy to leave it to other people to have a go at this, since you have some decent response. I'll still check out the beta and maybe see if anything inspires me, of course.