Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codeslicer

ok.. um... id soft/Nintendo conspiracy?

You use [yt] tags to display video in your post. Also, you're taking some old AVGN episode seriously? He was only making reference to a rumor. Many think it's more likely that id simply licensed the engine to them on request and had no involvement or motives beyond that. AVGN gets his facts wrong (the levels are not duplicates of Wolf's) and James himself says that AVGN is entirely for entertainment purposes.

Guest Unregistered account

I'm going to assume the developers of Super Noah's Ark 3D had a warped sense of humour and/or thought that goats could shoot stretchy/extra/invisible toes out of their feet.

Joe667 said:

thought that goats could shoot stretchy/extra/invisible toes out of their feet.

They have a melee attack just like the dogs in Wolf3D. They do attack twice in one animation sequence though.

Bloodshedder said:

id didn't give the source code away, it was purchased like any other engine license deal.

To add to this, I'm hearing from a few sources, the engine was licensed to produce Hellraiser for the NES (a Color Dreams game which is the same company). When development of that game proved to be infeasible, they instead used the license they already paid for to make S3DNA. I haven't confirmed with Brenda Huff, but it doesn't particularly matter.

Blzut3 said:

I'm hearing from a few sources, the engine was licensed to produce Hellraiser for the NES

Really? Just the regular NES and not the SNES? If so and that wasn't a typo, I can only imagine that they wanted to run the rendering stuff on a coprocessor, because it certainly is infeasible to attempt it on an unassisted 6502.

Indeed, they were planning to use a co-processor. From what I understand the project got canned early on since the "super-cart" cost too much to produce.

The NES Hellraiser was actually a separate project; there is some evidence that they were going to make a PC first-person shooter with the Hellraiser and Wolfenstein licenses; all that remains are some tile sheets.

Ancient history now. It makes more a cute story but I doubt we'll hear the truth at this point. Maybe ask Romero?

That is awesome. I had a very similar idea, same exact concept of a Z80 and some shared memory, but I thought it would be cool to make it Doom instead.

Sodaholic said:

That is awesome. I had a very similar idea, same exact concept of a Z80 and some shared memory, but I thought it would be cool to make it Doom instead.

Interesting screenshot.

I think it'd be cool to see Doom in the form of 8-bit.

I guess it's safe to say that Nintendo can only dream of being holy like Doom. I remember eating mushrooms and turning into a giant in Mario Bros. I think I jumped on turtles, lizards and dinosaurs in Mario Bros. too. As a matter of fact, I KNOW I did.