Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

Arctic Combat [WIP]

A few months before the Syaira project, you were sent to The Arctic to check out suspicious activity. Other marines have checked it out, but none have returned. Good luck! Dont let the frost bite!

Download

Music: Web Spider from Mega Man X4

This is my attempt of making a WAD with actual effort. Just because I'm on an android doesn't mean I don't have to put effort into it! Enjoy the WIP, and give some suggestions!

P.S: You need to run this with the Plutonia IWAD. Reason is that I recolored the WFALLx textures, and running it with the Doom 2 IWAD crashes on my end. Also doesn't run on chocolate doom.

FDA: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1292805
Not that it matters too much, this is really only a start to a map. I was expecting more for a WIP post, but oh well.

What you have there is a good start, it still feels a little bit simplistic/cavey. For the length it is that's fine but I hope you open up into a larger area, or add some more details/variation/anything, quickly. Snow textures are nice but again plain white for a whole level will get boring, unless you keep it pretty short or do a lot with the lighting like Getsu Fune's recent map.

I liked the beginning, at first I thought "WTF really?" when I saw the revs but once I realized I could just lure them out to grab the SSG it was fine. Going to be hard to do another trick like that once the player has some weapons though, so I hope the gameplay doesn't degrade into just "shoot the things in front of you" for the rest.

The game play is planned to be medium-challenge. Thanks for the FDA, plums. You only get one shot when you do one - when you get the wad.

EDIT: Plums, what version did you use? ColdLandWIP1 or ArcticCombatWIP2? The demo desyncs after you kill 5/6 zombies.

plums said:

What you have there is a good start, it still feels a little bit simplistic/cavey. For the length it is that's fine but I hope you open up into a larger area, or add some more details/variation/anything, quickly. Snow textures are nice but again plain white for a whole level will get boring, unless you keep it pretty short or do a lot with the lighting like Getsu Fune's recent map.

wait a minute which one.

also, i think that you should have a map exit before you release your map, unless it's a DM map. just my opinion.

Getsu Fune said:

wait a minute which one.

Senators of Volition. Perhaps I wasn't explicitly clear enough about it, but I really liked the way use stuck to a monotextured theme and used lighting to make it visually interesting.

Also yeah, place an exit when you put up a WIP, even if it's just a dummy one that you delete as soon as you work on the map some more.

The first part was most to snatch a weapon and then defend yourself from two sides but later it's just the same hallways just filled with different monsters and detail, feels and looks pretty uninspired.

Effort doesn't matter because when I posted my megawad that I designed within a month people didn't give a shit at how much time it took and just rated it to a maximum of 3 stars. You should definetly get a PC or something.
Doing effort doesn't matter and I learned it the hardest way.

joe-ilya said:

26 maps in a month. Am I missing something here?

Eris Falling said:

26 maps in a month. Am I missing something here?

That's alot, especially for a single guy.

joe-ilya said:

That's alot, especially for a single guy.

That really is a lot. I think I've banked somewhere between 50 and 60 released maps total my entire dooming career.

Looks cool!

A while ago I was pondering an idea to make a "The Thing" style wad. Naturally, the arctic would be the setting. Though it would be hard to do, considering the kind of monster involved.

of course it would have this bad ass theme in it.

joe-ilya said:

Effort doesn't matter because when I posted my megawad that I designed within a month people didn't give a shit at how much time it took and just rated it to a maximum of 3 stars. You should definetly get a PC or something.

Are you trying to say that quantity is more important than quality? I would just like to point out that, if so, you are incorrect. Effort DOES matter.
In order for a map to be good, effort and time need to be put into it.

Also, "Doing effort". Wat.