Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jonwil

idea: Combine FreeDoom + a TC to make a new IWAD

There are quite a few wads out there (for example ghostbusters doom, aliens doom & various wolfendoom mods to name a few that I have played) that are very close to total conversions and that replace all (or almost all) maps as well as most graphics, sounds music etc.
If one was to figure out what resources the pwad was pulling from the doom IWAD then to find an alternative for those resources (the freedoom project makes sense as a good place to start) you could possibly turn <insert name of TC here> into a full fledged IWAD and distribute it with a source port and play it without needing doom at all...

I can't see the point of remaking any maps for freedoom, essentially it only needs the sound/gfx/sprites. 32 box maps with a start and exit would do for doom2. That would atleast be enough to play external levels without owning Doom2/Doom.

There is a point for making maps; the idea is to make a completely free IWAD that anyone can use as a base. You can't distribute modified versions of original Doom levels, nor can you distribute modified versions of levels from most TCs. As much as anything else FreeDoom is about making a free resource WAD, and that can include levels too.

However this is a very minor point compared to the basic aim of making a free IWAD, and collecting totally-free replacement levels should be a second phase and not a primary objective. And the plan of replacing both all the Doom 1 levels and all the Doom 2 levels, making a total of nearly 60 levels to replace, is insane. Basically, I think the idea came up because lots of level designers wanted to help, but it distracts from the central aim which isn't about new levels.

Making a completely free version of a TC is not such as bad idea. The holy grail is of course to make FreeDoom; but if we can make a FreeAliensTC much quicker then that's an interesting milestone. Of course, freedoom is truly open, so anyone who wants to try this is welcome to do so - so if that's what you want, go ahead and do it :-)

fen boi said:

I can't see the point of remaking any maps for freedoom, essentially it only needs the sound/gfx/sprites.

IWAD? Don't you know what that means?

RE mmnpsrsoskl

Read my post, IMO the important part of freedoom is the ability to play 3rd party maps using a source port without owning the original game.

Therefore people should concentrate on replacing the textures/sounds/sprites etc. The maps aren't important, only simple maps are needed to prevent the game crashing when it can't find map02 etc.

No, the most important part of FreeDooM is that it is a free version of the game. That is where the title comes from.

EDIT : Oops, you are right. I checked the homepage. I always thought it was simply to make a free copy of the game...But still they should replace all of the levels. What if someone gets a copy of it of a magazine cd or something and doesn't have internet access? They'll be bored off there head playing the box levels...beh, the chance of that happening is about 3720 to 1.