Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Best MAP01

One of the most important parts of a megawad is the MAP01 slot, as its easily the most memorable part of a megawad and its supposed to set the scene for what a wad is going to be like.

in your opinion, what do you think is the best MAP01 in any megawad or short episode, in relation to being the greatest possible opening to how the rest of the wad will be?

Guest Unregistered account

Level 1: The Ruins
From Earth.

Seriously, it's amazing and consider playing it on a 90's PC/DOs!

purist said:

I like Alien Vendetta's MAP01 - Sunset, is it?

No, it's sunshine, sunshine! I will have to agree with Sunset as being one of my personal favourites. Ignition from HR 2 and HR's "Into the Gate" are also favourite openers for me. Might as well add MM 1 + 2 and Requiem's map 01.

Icarus and Plutonia. Generally, most of the classic WADs from 1995-1997 era got it right.

I liked Mayhem2048's opening map. Knowing the gimmick of the megawad, it felt impressively normal and got me to think the 2048 format made for maps that could give the illusion of being fully fledged without concessions. Then I played the next maps, and while there's certainly good stuff, it was more hit and miss, which increased my appreciation for the first level even further. Really great start.

The first levels in PL2 and Stardate are cool, too. Appropriate length/difficulty, representative of what is next to come and fun in their own right.

IMHO that last thing is critical. Generally megawads go with the idea of starting things easy and ramping it up progressively, but many map01s take this a little bit too far. If a first map wouldn't work as a standalone release then it's probably not going to work as a map01 either, for me personally.

I liked the first map of The Darkening Episode II.... Outpost Mortem. I think it did a nice job of setting up what the set was going to be like and it's a nice size IMHO. Also I like that it starts you outside and you make your way into the base.

I'm a big MAP01 enthusiast (demo watchers might know that :-).

I agree with vdgg in that most classic megawads got it right. I usually expect something similar to the MMs or Requiem from the first map.

I also like almost empty map01s where you just pick up stuff to prepare for the next level. Squadron 417 is the most obvious example, Marswar is also like that. These are less interesting nowadays, when many people play pistol start style.

Then there is stuff like Osiris, where map01 is the preparation to teleport to another dimension or something. These don't introduce you to the style at all but they work in a different way.

Introductions where you enter a big base complex or something are also cool. (Necromantic Thirst: The Lost Tiles, Perdition's Gate, Simply Phobos)

Also I once had an idea of a project which would consist entirely of MAP01-like entries that could have been openers of theoretical megawads. Just like some modern Russian writer wrote a book consisting of last pages of imaginary books: quite amusing stuff that leaves you wondering about the rest of the story that doesn't exist.

IMO Epic 2 has the best opening view, too bad the rest of the level is nothing special at all.

Balls has what I consider to be the best start ever but it is only one map so that's offtopic. But check it out anyway!

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Take this map for example:

Tarnsman said:

Suspending in Dusk Map 01

A very well designed map by a great mapper that contains weak weapons, sparsely placed weak monsters, and a few mid-tier monsters that you fight with weak weapons. This is not fun.

I think mappers should make fun maps instead of using "a sense of progression" as an excuse for making unfun maps. OH NO, your wad won't be considered "professional" or "popular" or "serious" if it doesn't have "a sense of progression" with a bunch of unfun boring maps at the beginning of it. At least BTSX map01 has a hidden ssg.

TimeOfDeath said:

A very well designed map by a great mapper that contains weak weapons, sparsely placed weak monsters, and a few mid-tier monsters that you fight with weak weapons. This is not fun.

To his credit, it does answer the question accurately though (I didn't have much fun with the majority of SiD at all, honestly)

SFoZ911 said:

TNT is my all time favourite map01.

This is a great one despite having all weak monsters save for some chaingun guys. It kicks off awesome with pumping music and a berserk pack right in the starting room. Very iconic MAP01 for me :)

Memfis said:

Also I once had an idea of a project which would consist entirely of MAP01-like entries that could have been openers of theoretical megawads. Just like some modern Russian writer wrote a book consisting of last pages of imaginary books: quite amusing stuff that leaves you wondering about the rest of the story that doesn't exist.

Ha! me too! I was just thinking about it before I had gotten the idea to make this thread.

Phobos by Roger Ritenour absolutely blew my mind when it came out. The climax of the first map where the aircraft ascends into the sky and teleporting in to exit.. Ritenour was the master of innovative mid-texture usage.

The first maps of SiD and AV both really impressed me when I first played them. I also remember finding the first map of The Talosian Incident (sp?) very evocative.

Requiem, and AV.... they give a small taste of what your quest is going to entail and have neat little layouts and fun simple gameplay.

But my favorite Map01 is the one that breaks the rules of what a Map01 "should be like", and it's the first map of Icarus. :)

TimeOfDeath said:

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Take this map for example:

I think mappers should make fun maps instead of using "a sense of progression" as an excuse for making unfun maps. OH NO, your wad won't be considered "professional" or "popular" or "serious" if it doesn't have "a sense of progression" with a bunch of unfun boring maps at the beginning of it. At least BTSX map01 has a hidden ssg.

I don't think SiD's first map would be fun even if there was ssg. On the other hand, I don't think it's as simple as weak monsters and weak weapons that are the cause.

Memfis said:

What stopped you? I like that idea.

I also have to agree on Phobos and Earth, I still remember those starts fondly.

Hell Ground is the one for me.

Generally, the whole wad was "whoa" for me, but the beginning that steered towards harder in the end, plus visuals and music... Didn't know what kind of treat I was in.

I've only seen it on YouTube but Going Down MAP01 deserves a mention for sure, best modern MAP01 I've seen.

Icarus, Alien Vendetta (all of AV is really a masterpiece imo) and the Entryway (mostly nostalgic reasons) are my top 3

Memfis said:

Balls has what I consider to be the best start ever but it is only one map so that's offtopic. But check it out anyway!

Wow. I'm really glad that I did! Thanks for the tip.

My favorite Map01 might be Tartaru 2. The Tartaru 3 update, however, was awful.

Plutonia 2 had an interesting MAP01 in my opinion, with the music and the sign hanging ontop the wall saying "Plutonia 2"

I love Alien Vendetta's MAP01 - it's a fantastic introduction to a fantastic collection of maps. I love it when MAP01 is nice and short, providing a quick introduction to the WAD.

BTSX E1 Map01 is my current all-time fave. I'm a sucker for sheer beauty, and this map has it, plus a great music track, plus a fair number of mid-tier monsters even if you don't find the SSG, so it's not a typical dead-easy Map01.

I also have a . . . certain fondness . . . for Map01 from Realm of Chaos. For certain, it introduced the theme of slow-rising floors that piss-off so many modern players. ;)

Map01 of MM2 is another really good one.

Since Memfis mentioned Osiris -- not a megawad, but I agree with his choice -- I will mention Map01 of Fava Beans as simply crazy brilliant.

For the most part, however, I don't remember many Map01s because they are usually too easy and boring for me to recall.

TNT and MM2 are the first two that immediately spring to mind. Fast-paced action that's just easy and short enough to start a megawad. Really sets the tone from the start. AV also has a very good starter map.