Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Average

'Stickying' the Source Port Threads?

In the Source Port forum the PrBoom and Chocolate Doom threads are stickied but the likes of Doom Retro, Crispy Doom and 3DGE aren't. Would it be possible for the other ports to be given the same treatment? I realise that some ports are more popular or active than others but I also think it's only fair for all the source Ports out there to have a level playing field and be given the same forum attention.

Stickying too many threads is kind of counter-productive as it results in a great big blob that eyes just skip to go to the useful bits. Choco and PrBoom+ are very popular ports without their own dedicated forums, so it makes sense. I guess as a compromise, a third pinned thread could be had, containing an index to other source port threads.

Gez said:

I guess as a compromise, a third pinned thread could be had, containing an index to other source port threads.

I think that this would be a relatively good idea as it would certainly help new users in finding their desired port, considering all the choices are just spread out and not in one useful resource. I personally think that the source ports section on the front page could do with an up date, either way, it's going to take a lot of work to accomplish this task.

Gez said:

Choco and PrBoom+ are very popular ports without their own dedicated forums, so it makes sense.

Still, overly long miscellaneous subtopic threads are lame. I think that next time I have a substantial issue with one of these ports -- something more than "found a bug" -- I'll just start a separate thread tagged with the port name and the specific issue.

I guess as a compromise, a third pinned thread could be had, containing an index to other source port threads.

I doubt Doomworld needs indexes like that. It's not so full of junk that it needs quick linking. Besides, an ATTN thread needs maintenance or it will become outdated, useless and misleading. Fewer sticky threads = simpler navigation.

Thanks for caring, Average! However, I feel that PrBoom+ and Chocolate Doom are the single most important source ports (besides ZDoom maybe) and thus "deserve" their threads being as discoverable as possible.