Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DogOnFire

Doom doodles and other bits (Image heavy)

Hello all. New member to the forum and thought I'd share with you some of my doom doodles and other related pieces.

Imp

Demon

Cacodemon

Lost Soul

And the last group....

Doom inspired digital painting

Another version

Acrylic paint skull

Not really Doom-like, but similar theme.

Cool. :) It's fun to see the monster cast elongated like this, usually we're used to the other way around (wrong aspect ratio and squashed sprites). Your demon and caco in particular are so much more creepy than the default looks.

Thanks for the comment. My idea was to bring some more human qualities to the demons. I think for anything to have a creepy factor, it has to have some human-like aspect to it, and a vacant sense about it. Like for the Caco, I gave a more human eye and mouth/teeth, which then becomes more warped and demonic.

Pretty damn good man! The pictures seem to get more detailed the further down you scroll. The Hell Knight, Imp, and Pain Elemental look especially awesome.

I like your interpretations! Although, the Hell Knight would look a bit better with a more, uhm... "demonic" face.

These are merely personal interpretations and alterations of the sprites. I made them more goat-like because goats are often used in satanic imagery, and for me, the overall head shape, horns, and legs allpointed in that direction. I often find that big sharp teeth and angry-looking skull faces come across as being too much of a forced horror cliche.My version of a Baron is essentially skinned, with all the torn flesh, muscle, and bone on show.I guess my Hell Knight is a more "classic" approach to the original sprite, whereas Doom 3 designers really modernised and reworked the entire design.

joe-ilya said:

What's up with the barons? Why are they goats?

My childe, the question of the zoological taxum of Hell Knights and Barons has been a long-debated question among the Elders of Doom, almost as debated as the Angel's Sex or whether the Holy Trinity refers to One or Three entities. Myself, I am partial for the Bovine, rather than the Caprine denomination of the Church of the Baron of Hell and the Order of the Hell Knight.

Most of the hand-drawn doodles make me think that the monsters are sleepy or stoned, though :-p

I love the imp and hell knight! I like the approach to the mancubus as well, it looks like he's suffering and being controlled by someone else, kind of like this one.

Are you gonna be doing anything with the revenants?

Marnetmar said:

I love the imp and hell knight! I like the approach to the mancubus as well, it looks like he's suffering and being controlled by someone else, kind of like this one.

Are you gonna be doing anything with the revenants?

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head with the the demons themselves suffering and somewhat being controlled by an unseen, higher demonic presence. To me, the horror element is the idea that an unseen demonic force presents us with mutilated, bloated, or almost skeletal human forms. Some of which have been, in a mocking way, combined with the weaponry and machinery that we as a race have created to assist us.
To me an angry face isn't demonic. Something more contorted, miserable, suffering, is demonic.

Edit: And, yes, I'll be drawing Revenant, and Arch-Vile. Also, possible Spider Mastermind.

For those of you who didn't like my Hell Knight/Baron, here's a "Classic Doom" version of the head:

That New Baron head looks better. the other's looked more like animal heads mounted on human torso's. I also like the mancubus's victim vibe to it. clearly inspired by the D3 manc but without the cthulhu stuff going on.

I'm seriously impressed by these. That arch-vile interpretation is fantastic.

RUSH said:

I'm seriously impressed by these. That arch-vile interpretation is fantastic.

Thank you kindly. I may do some revision on the Arch-Vile, or perhaps just another angle. The sprite design left a lot of space for me to play around with.

I find the skull-like Baron head much creepier than the goat one. The goat just seems really derpy, like he's gonna start licking random objects any minute now. The skull face seems more calm and intelligent, like it could either reveal to you some great secret of the universe, or tear your head off and throw it on the ground.

P.S. STEAM IS BLUE NOW.

Wow. So much focus on to the first Baron sketch. I'll remember to never again draw them unless they're 100% faithful. I guess it's a good job my bag containing this sketch book got stolen and will never see the light of day again,

DogOnFire said:

my bag containing this sketch book got stolen and will never see the light of day again,

oh poo, really liked the first hell knight and caco

I took the constructive criticism on board and redrew the Hell Knight/Baron head, so I'm not sure why there is still focus on the original. With some of the reactions you'd think I was actually officially redesigning the damn things and not just doing this purely as a fan, out of my own ideas on the monsters.

Anyway, thank you all for at least taking the time to look and comment. I'm glad that some of you can see what I was going for in my designs.

Since I no longer have any of these drawings, perhaps it will give me the drive to redraw and refine them.