Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ssv_170379

HD sprites from Doom 3

SavageCorona said:

What's with the disappearing shotgun? It looks a little janky to have it just disappear like that.

I assume that will look more natural in-game, when the dropped shotgun item appears.

Salt-Man Z That's true.
Gustavo6046 https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1420211 is the latest released snapshot. I hope next build will arrive in ~3 weeks.

I made a couple of other death sequences in a same style, nothing special about them. And here's something to show.

I returned Cacodemon's Doom 3 skin, Now he deflates less when dying and also bleeding blue. Last thing I haven't used in this project before is a "glow" post-processing for eyes.

Never thought about either. I assume 'done' as monsters + items... then recuperate, switch to other hobbies, maybe for half a year. Do not know what next, just can't predict that long.

Cool, the latest versions look really good!

I will wait for the release of this sprite pack and then play some good Doom3 themed wads with it.

It's too bad, and kind of hard to believe, there are no Doom 3 texture packs that could be used to make more authentically D3-themed maps. I don't know how easy it would be to convert those textures, which seem reliant on normal mapping, to Doom's simpler format.

jute, I believe it is not too hard:

1. Convert Normal map to Height map (maybe Ambient Occlusion map, need to decide which is better)
2. Multiply it over Diffuse texture
3. Maybe add some brightness based on Specular map to slightly emphasize reflections
4. Adjust overall texture appearance to match with the original one.

I assume it's possible to automatize steps 1-3 workflow.

The hardest part as I see it is to build parity list and to decide what to do with textures which have no counterparts in Doom 3. This requires a guy with a fine taste, which I'm not. I'm afraid that game's style will greatly suffer using 50/50 mix of old and new textures.

jute said:

It's too bad, and kind of hard to believe, there are no Doom 3 texture packs that could be used to make more authentically D3-themed maps.

Maybe the problem is also in copyright.

Given the subject of this thread I can't imagine anyone is too concerned about copyright.

Can you describe your rendering pipeline? Do you run a script that just spits out the needed frames from the needed angles and distances? Because that would be really useful for developing prerendered sprites and trying iterations very quickly in-game.

jute, I don't know where the thin line between modding and copyright violation lies. It makes me sad at times I think of it.

Sodaholic, yes, something like that, and the script is continue evolving alongside with project. I wrote something about this already, so may be somewhat repeating.

When scene is ready (materials/animation/light etc.) you feeding some info to the script and it generates all the needed frames. Input parameters are like:

spritename = "TRO2" #(processing Imp)
trigger_array = [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1] #(just 1/0 boolean switches for every phase to make it possible to render only the needed ones)
frames_array = [ 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31, 36, 50, 62, 68, 70, 73, 78, 94, 96] #(number of Blender's internal frame for current phase, picked manually based on a visual estimation of which frames from the whole sequence are most suitable to quantize animation)
states_array = ["A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P"] #Animation phase name (Doom's internal animation phase name, In this example A through H referred to 'walk', I-N - attack OP - pain

So when I hit "Play script", I'll get 144 files = 16 phases (ABC...) * 9 view angles.
About view angles. Object symmetry is also represented in script parameters. Like if object is assymetrical, then script renders 16 frames, if there is left-right or front-back symmetry, then only 9 frames etc... Death animations are frontal-only. Angles for different rendering conditions are stored in arrays too, like:

angle_name_array = ["*1", "*9*G", "*2*8", "*A*F", "*3*7", "*B*E", "*4*6", "*C*D", "*5"] # for left-right symmetry
angle_step_array = [ 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8] # rotation angle/22.5

So, considering all this script takes sprite name "TRO2" replaces asterisks in angle_name_array with phase letter, which gives TRO2A1, TRO2A9AG... and renders a shot for each frame viewed under each angle, naming each output file with correct WAD-compatible pattern.

This part is running internally in Blender (3d-app). Scripting language is called Python, I'm not a programmer, so I just googled through some (quite a lot of) working examples to find commands and blocks I needed to compose my script. Maybe it's ugly and not to be shown to anyone who knows Python, but it works.

The second script is running outside Blender. It auto-trims files, extracts offsets for WAD-placing and writes texture definition files for ZDoom (not the DECORATE ones, I write them manually). All image processing is made through ImageMagick software. Language for this second script called Bash.

Also recently I made couple of other scripts to compose animated GIFs, making vanilla WADs etc. Again, messy, Frankenstein style code, all from the Internet search.

1. How to parse text file by lines from bash script?
2. How to extract first word from a given line?
3. How to compare it with some other string?
4. WHY THERE ARE NO GO-TO's?!!
5. Ok, Google, then tell me about the flow control...

That's roughly how it all works.

P.S.: I always wondered about what approach AEoD guys are used to capture HL and Quake models.

Was away for some time, just rested. For now glows and death visuals are done for all monsters. They are quite generic - same wounds, blood drips etc for almost every monster. But it took a lot of time to set all particle systems, paint wounds and re-balance shoot lighting with glows.

That was the biggest part of work. Now I'll start to make brightmaps and also test new effects in-game. To not disappear for too long I'm planning create brightmaps for only a few monsters and release a gameplay video with them.

Some death stills:

Yeah, I even closed Devile II as of November 1st due to Quake 3 and... because I waited for this to be released XD
This is a very cool project, not?

Dunno if you've done it or it was suggested already, but i suggest using the Invulneravility or Berserk Hunters from RoE as for the Baron of Hell, to make him a little more different from the Hell Knight.

YukiHerz, it's a worth-trying idea, but I'm too exhausted now, maybe after release.
I made all remaining brightmaps, and now it's need to tweak some stuff a little. Unfortunately I must switch to other tasks for the upcoming month, so no updates till mid-december are planned.

Ah, great! I've been checking pretty regularly in hopes of an update on this project. I was sorry to see the thread slip a few pages.

Wow, looks like you're close to calling this completed! Looking good!

I was a bit skeptical at first, but after seeing that video, I'm impressed. Kinda reminds me of Doom 64. Looks great so far.

Do you know the Quad Damage for Quake I/II/III? See if you can turn the model into sprites and make a Quad Damage for Doom in HD! With 16 sprite set!
Just a idea. Don't need to do it though. :)

I'm glad Doom doesn't even have a double damage and I avoid invul spheres at this point. Then again, I also don't use the BFG much, barring obvious situations for it, preferring the plasma. Rambling, I know; point is, stuff like that kinda takes the fun out of the game for me. Doom monsters are already so well-balanced; it'd be damn-near game-breaking to me just to kill a rev in one ssg blast, let alone an AV/PE/arach/manc/etc in one.

On topic:
I love what I'm seeing so far! That caco looks cool bleeding blue. Keep up the awesome work!