Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Archi

Problems with flats

While playing this wad I've noticed two bugs.
The first one is caused by redefinitions of some flats in wad.

The second one is crushing on maps with mp3 music, such as map03, map05, map08.

For the issue shown in the video, looks like an incorrect animation definition in the WAD has caused every flat to be included in its loop. There are a lot of extra animations defined in the ANIMATED lump that don't appear to exist as lumps in the wad, so I wasn't able to track down where the error is.

MP3 playback isn't stable because SDL's support for it is terrible; I don't know if there's much that Eternity's developers could do about that, short of disabling it entirely. OGG playback is functional, though.

esselfortium said:

For the issue shown in the video, looks like an incorrect animation definition in the WAD has caused every flat to be included in its loop. There are a lot of extra animations defined in the ANIMATED lump that don't appear to exist as lumps in the wad, so I wasn't able to track down where the error is.

MP3 playback isn't stable because SDL's support for it is terrible; I don't know if there's much that Eternity's developers could do about that, short of disabling it entirely. OGG playback is functional, though.

Thanks, gotta decode MP3's to OGG then.

For animation problem, isn't it иуееук to not animate everything if there's non-existing flats defined in ANIMATED, like PrBoom+ does?

Archi said:

For animation problem, isn't it better to not animate everything if there's non-existing flats defined in ANIMATED, like PrBoom+ does?

As far as I can recall, Eternity is doing exactly what Boom and MBF did. If PrBoom+ is treating ANIMATED differently than Boom+MBF, then that is something of concern.

Csonicgo said:

As far as I can recall, Eternity is doing exactly what Boom and MBF did. If PrBoom+ is treating ANIMATED differently than Boom+MBF, then that is something of concern.

BOOM/MBF would bomb out if ANIMATED referenced textures/flats that don't exist. The allowance to tolerate missing resources creates a necessity to deal with the fallout of how animations work (which is sorry if you ask me).

I can look into what has been done in that port and do likewise, I don't believe it should impact compatibility in any fashion.