• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cell

To All My Haters (one-map single, E3M2)

Do you find this offensive?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find this offensive?

• One who finds this offensive should f*ck his mother.
    • It's just Doom is about.
    • Hell yes, I want the same for you!!!
    • 0/10 "what is this crap, I don't even mind it's a middlefinger, it's just shit"

Back then, in the Things about Doom you just found out thread, I've made a random statement/confession:

Cell said:

Well, back in March-April 2013, I've made an E3M2-like map which actually forms a middlefinger gesture.
I decided not to release it, as some folks might find it offensive.

Then I received some replies according to it:

Doomkid said:

Cell, I'd love to see that middle finger map.

Face23785 said:

Anyone who finds that offensive should go fuck their mother. I vote release it.

RUSH said:

Release that shit son. Seriously, that would be hilarious

geekmarine said:

I can take all the blood, guts, violence, and Satanic imagery, but a middle finger!? That's just going too far. Seriously though, if someone gets offended by a middle finger in the mapscreen, Doom probably isn't the game for them.

So, here we come. To All My Haters is a single level on the slot E3M2, for reasons clearly known. I promised 2 days on 28 July until release, but I later decided to post it today, 3 August, since it's
1. the fourth anniversary of my registration to the Forums
2. the birthday of one of my strongest haters, a classmate of mine back from secondary school. Let it be his gift as well.

Don't just look at the mapscreen with IDDT/after grabbing the Automap powerup - play it till the end! ;)

jmickle66666666 said:

well that was a shitty map

Funny thing you tell me while I see it has 0 downloads by now. :D :D

well your download counter's fucked then. It was boring, it looked horrible (worse than the original somehow), apparently no thought put into monster/item placement, sectors tagged as secrets all over the place

it was just a horrible map

2. the birthday of one of my strongest haters, a classmate of mine back from secondary school. Let it be his gift as well.

I, um... I see... Okay.

jmickle66666666 said:

well your download counter's fucked then. It was boring, it looked horrible (worse than the original somehow), apparently no thought put into monster/item placement, sectors tagged as secrets all over the place

it was just a horrible map

You think this was intended to be serious?

I found this map to be highly offensive. You've got a new hater, Cell. You've got a new hater so bad.

Breezeep said:

I don't know about you guys, but I thought this was a pretty good old school style level.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one. I was afraid to post, like maybe I wasn't 'getting' it. Like not wanting to laugh at something everyone else thinks is funny. I started the episode and played E3M1 right into this. It seemed to fit right into the rough, somewhat-clunky, old-school, Doom1 style. Yes, it's remake of the original E3M2, which was cheesy to begin with (Seriously, it was a CLAW. Oooh scary, kiddies). Is it brilliant? No. Does it suck? No, I don't think so. Is it offensive? I smiled. Well done.

This is a really accurate recreation of E3M2, this would have been a perfect secret map for one of the many OS-style community Doom wads. When I hear "joke WAD", this is what I hope for. Good stuff, man.

I found it a bit boring. It's just a e3m2 remake but worse: more cramped and with less stuff in it. Also you added the new textures incorrectly, I had to edit the wad to play it in prboom-plus.

Ed said:

I found this map to be highly offensive. You've got a new hater, Cell. You've got a new hater so bad.

Challenge accepted.

I thought it was a good map, man. I actually had the same exact idea to reshape Slough of Despair into a big middle finger, but never did it. Also don't listen to jmickle, he's just a big hater and probably just has a stick up his bum.

Oh damn, and here I thought it would be the imps that gave the middle finger

I actually liked the map itself though. Very cramped and chaotic - which turned out to be really fun.

RUSH said:

Very cramped and chaotic - which turned out to be really fun.

Hah! If I've ever thought that tight places are only a subjective whether one likes them or not...

Fellowzdoomer said:

Haha cell did you give your secondary school enemy the finger?

Sadly no, he's no Doomin', but the sense I've blasphemed his birthday will always live in me with the sweetness of vengeance.

I'm also sorry to oversee the fact it was also Essel's birthday (?). My bad. Should be more aware of anniversaries.

nice map, but too cramped, tried to play it with prboom and crashed for some texture reason, then played with zdoom and worked perfectly.

walter confalonieri said:

nice map, but too cramped, tried to play it with prboom and crashed for some texture reason, then played with zdoom and worked perfectly.

I guess for the reason Memfis pointed out. Might ask him to send me the texture correction, since Slade didn't do quite well in adding those middlefinger textures at the end (everything I tried, it remapped the entire black-and-white picture into some salmon-colored thing).

It seems like Slade doesn't know where your doom.wad is located? The TEXTURE2 lump has only definitions for the new graphics.

I shall download this and place it in my vast folder of downloaded but never played maps that I keep swearing to get to one day.

As others said, I had to play with ZDoom, both PrBoom+ and GlBoom+ crashed. I actually liked it, probably because E3M2 is one of my favorite maps in UD. Maybe the only flaw is that after I got the RL I felt already overpowered, and with the plasma gun everything was a walk in the park. Oh, and I didn't find it offensive, so option #2 (I'm guessing it should be "It's just what Doom is about", right?).

Fellowzdoomer said:

I played the whole map... wait for my response ...

Well, I'm waiting.

Reviving it after 4 (another!) years? Why not, I actually decided to /idgames the wad.

Turned out the reason behind the middlefinger texture being displayed salmon-colored was that I was a f*cking idiot ignorant at converting new resources, aaand didn't copy PLAYPAL and COLORMAP before actually turning the PNG into Doom GFX. The other issue - crashing on Boom ports - is still unknown for me, however, so here is the updated file.

Please report as many bugs as you can encounter.

[EDIT] Screw this, it's not gonna work. Next year 3rd August to go.

Edited by Cell